Seat Click/Clunk Noise Update

So like many of you, I have the same click/clunk noise when getting in to the truck on the driver side bucket seat. Well I finally got to the point where I decided I was going to chase this issue down myself (Since I previously hadn't given it much thought other than letting the dealer look at it). I took a peak under the seat and found that with my right hand in the crack between the bottom of the seat and the back of the seat (squeeze your hand in between the cushions right in the middle) and my left hand on the front that I could rock back and forth and make the same noise. I then moved on to having my wife do this to the seat while I looked underneath and it seems one of the adjusters was loose. The adjuster that was loose was one of the two that make the seat go up and down (10 way power seat or something like that). There is one that lift the front of the bottom cushion and one that does the back. The one that was loose was the back.

I took a look at how the motor was mounted to the frame and it is bolted on a slide bolt that has lots of slop in it allowing the motor frame/bracket to clunk/clank around when moving in and out of the seat. I looked at the motor mount for the motor used to raise and lower the front of the bottom cushion and it had a spacer/washer in the place the previous motor mount didn't to take up this slack.

So...I ran to lowes to get some 6mm washers and proceeded with squeezing them in place where the slop was in the bracket (Easier said then done with the very limited space).

The long and short of it is that it seems to have fixed the clink/clunk/clank noise when getting into the driver side bucket seat. It is also amazing at how much it helped the overall looseness of the seat.

I AM NOT CLAIMING THAT THIS FIXING THE SEAT MOVEMENT WHEN DRIVING AS I HAVENT DRIVEN IT YET, BUT WILL REPORT BACK WITH TIME.

I will also try and post pictures. I am going to the dealer Thursday to take a look at the seat again (Already had the frame replaced once) and to see if other trucks have a spacer where I added a washer and if maybe they left it off when they installed the new seat frame trying to get rid of the seat movement. (my $0.02 after looking at the seat frame in depth is that the movement is in the actual track pieces used to slide forwards and backwards. The front of the track seems to have spacers between the stationary and non-stationary piece to take up slop, but I don't see any in the rear of the track where the movement usually is.....might have to test that theory out. )

• 2 weeks later...

Did this fix it? I have a 2014 GMC Sierra with the AC/Heated seats. I hate the clunk it makes when you move or turn the truck from side to side and it makes you weight shift! The dealer says that they cannot find a noise, I am going to take it in and make them ride in the back seat with a hand under the seat so they can feel the clunk.

• 1 month later...

Has this resolved your seat issue? I am having the same issue and I took it to the dealership. They put these clips in and it fixed the problem but only for about 2 weeks. Now the dealer is telling me to just live with it. I am looking for a permanent fix to this.

• 1 month later...

I HAVE 2014 SIERRA LTZ, CREW, Z71 WITH THE SAME ISSUE. MY SEAT CUSHION SHFTS AS MY BODY WEIGHT SHIFTS WHEN TURNING OR ON CURVY ROADS. EVEN MOVES FORWARD WHEN I STOP ABRUPTLY AND BACK WHEN I TAKE OFF. I HAVE THE HEAT/COOL SEAT OPTION AND COLISION AND LANE DEPARTURE OPTION. IT FEELS LIKE THE MECHANIZING IN THE SEAT THAT VIBRATES WITH THESE OPTIONS IS MOVING WITHIN THE SEAT CUSHION. I STARTED NOTICING THIS WITH ABOUT 5500 MILES. NO NOISE OR CLUNK YET. WHO EVER BUILT THIS SEAT FOR GM REALLY SCREWED UP. WHAT HAPPENED TO QUALITY CONTROL. MY HEATED SEATS ALSO DO NOT OPERATE ON REMOTE START.

COULDN'T FIND THE OTHER THREAD

Archived