Help Engine start fine, ABS Light comes on engine stalls.

Hi all, I am new to posting so please bear with me.

I was on the beautiful Garden State Parkway... cruising at a bout 75 MPH. The truck got very sluggish, bucked a couple times and stalled. I had just filled my tank about 20 miles back. So thought it may have been a fuel problem. I tried to start it a few times it would start run very rough for a few seconds, then die.

So I AAA for a tow. Found out that AAA is not allowed on the parkway, long story short $120.00 later I was towed 2 miles to the nearest exit.

There was an advanced auto just off the exit, they scanned the truck, only code shown was a wheel sensor for both front wheels.

So I purchased a fuel filter just before closing and replaced it in the parking lot. ?No luck after trying again to start the truck, I would up killing the battery. Got a tow back home.

Now I have replaced the battery. Start the truck runs great for about 10 seconds, then the ABS light come on and the truck stalls. When the ABS light comes on it tries to run, but is almost like the timing gets changed. It runs really lopping then dies. If I try to start it right away, starts running rough again. Turn off the key, wait 5-10 minutes start it up runs great for about 10 seconds, then the ABS light comes on and lopes again eventually stalling.

Has anyone had this issue or have any ideas on what it could be?

That's what I thought. But prior to the breakdown, there was no abs light on.

I checked fuel pressure last night it is at 12 psi. So time for a new fuel pump.

I guess it could coincidence that I have a separate ads problem start at the same time.

I am going to see if the light stays on after the new fuel pump is installed.

Thanks for the feedback.

Here's a theory, you might have a bad ground wire connection someplace. I don't know for sure but I bet the ABS pump has a pressurization process it goes through on start up. I suspect when that happens the bad ground becomes an issue and the abs pump motor is not able to turn on. Maybe the ECM uses the same ground point and as the voltage drops from the pump coming on the engine stalls. It may not even be the ECM but any component maybe a fuel pump.

Try disconnecting the ABS main fuse, your abs light will still come on but see if the truck stays running and report back here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback. Turned out to be just the fuel pump. Took off the bed replaced the pump fired up. After a couple minutes of driving the abs light when out.

I'm guessing that since the truck was going 70+ and stalled I wasn't getting feedback from the speed sensors. Hence the abs light.

On a side note when I took off the bed the frame was massively rusted. Once I put it back together I went straight to the dealer and picked up a new 1500 .

Thanks for the help'

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

Hay Enthusiast,

I have the exact same problem. I have an 07 5.3 Savanna. Several mechanics looked at this. They can’t figure it out. When you put the new fuel pump in, did the abs light go out?

When the light goes out the engine runs ok for about 10 secs. just like you described And then stalls.

I would really like to hear from you to get a little self-confidence.

Thanks for sharing.