Installation of Westin HDX 56-13725 running boards on 2017 2500HD Dies

Ordered and have a set of Westin HDX 56-13725 for my 2017 2500HD Diesel. I checked installation prior to ordering, and the instructions explicitly said that dropping the DEF tank was NOT required for installation, only the removal of the DEF tank cover.

Received the running boards, checked them out, instructions matched what I downloaded. Removed the DEF tank cover, and I see NO WAY I can get the step bracket in the correct position, and even if I could, no way to torque the bolt. No videos I've found show this model, etc. - so not sure if I'm missing something, or Westin misrepresented what they have and how to install.

I've emailed them, but that could take a while for them to sort out, so I'm wondering if anyone else has done this WITHOUT dropping the DEF tank?

I am going through a similar issue right now. I tried to install a set of Lunds yesterday. 4 hours of cussing, getting dirty, and spilling DEF fluid while dropping the tank. The instructions said the bars should have fit, but I couldn't make it work. I called Lund today, and they acknowledged that the bracket won't fit due to the larger DEF tank on the '17s. I am now going through the process of trying to get these returned and am trying to find some bars that will work.

Emailed Westin - no reply. Called them Wednesday, they said "oh - due to a last minute design change by GM, we had to come up with a new bracket". Uh - the truck was mfg several months ago. They've got a website - they can't put a quick up date on it - the page specific to the model of running board/step?

Anyway, they are Fed-ex'ing a replacement bracket, I should get it today (Friday), so we'll see. Right now, I'm not terribly confident that it will work the way I want it to, but we'll see.

GM ones install without dropping the tank...just the shield...

Is a Sierra fundamentally different in the DEF tank than a Silverado? Cause there ain't "no way" you are installing the bracket on the Silverado without dropping the DEF tank. And I'm not even sure the DEF tank will go back on without modification.

The bracket simply will NOT go where it's supposed to - and no, you can't start it from the front/end of the DEF tank and slide it to it's location - and even if you could, no way you are getting a wrench in there to tighten the upper bolt on the bracket. Either there was a redesign, and you have found one with the redesigned bracket - and I got an old one that simply had updated instructions in it - or there is a fundamental difference in DEF tank design/location between a Sierra and Silverado.

If it can be done - I'd love a video/pics showing just how it can be done.

Here's a link to instructions - www.westinautomotive.com/images/ePIM/original/75-1807.pdf

Pics of brackets aren't the best (lack of depth to figure out which is which - definitively), parts count is wrong (parts count says they ship 8 brackets, but only 7 in box, and only 6 of which you use).

Anyway, the shape of the brackets just won't go in the way the instructions say they will without heavy modification of, or around, the DEF tank itself that I can see.

GM has a different setup than the Westin bars for the DEF tank area. They have a bracket that has a tab that locates to a hole in the inner rocker for the front most mount, and the second one bolts to the inner rocker. They don't have those "hook" sections that drop down to the board, they are just a flat bracket with a bend at the bottom to meet the bottom of the rocker. For those front two, the lower board bolts bolt the board to the welded nuts on the brackets.

Sierra and Silverado same exact boards from GM.

From the instructions:

Front most mount

X6Rkvmk.png

Front middle mount

mdPDZUa.png

How it all goes on

wvcDkCG.png

Edited by 15HDriver

GM has a different setup than the Westin bars for the DEF tank area. They have a bracket that has a tab that locates to a hole in the inner rocker for the front most mount, and the second one bolts to the inner rocker. They don't have those "hook" sections that drop down to the board, they are just a flat bracket with a bend at the bottom to meet the bottom of the rocker. For those front two, the lower board bolts bolt the board to the welded nuts on the brackets.

Sierra and Silverado same exact boards from GM.

I've got a feeling that's what they're sending me. A bracket that just bolts on the lower lip of the rocker. Not very sturdy - but it might work when only one is like that. Provided I can get the front one on. It will be almost in line with the front of the DEF tank, so I may have similar issues with it. We'll see tonite when I get home.

The above can be done on both 2011-2016 without removing the tank, and on 2017+ by removing only the plastic skid plate and not the tank.

That's a clearer pic, and I get how that could work with just removing the DEF cover - if Westin is sending a bracket that "hooks" on, instead of bolting up at same location (like the supplied bracket).

I've got a feeling that's what they're sending me. A bracket that just bolts on the lower lip of the rocker. Not very sturdy - but it might work when only one is like that. Provided I can get the front one on. It will be almost in line with the front of the DEF tank, so I may have similar issues with it. We'll see tonite when I get home.

You'd be surprised. Sold some to some larger gents, and holds them quite well. Seems like it wouldn't be sturdy, but so far they work good.

You'd be surprised. Sold some to some larger gents, and holds them quite well. Seems like it wouldn't be sturdy, but so far they work good.

Yeah, I'd agree. What I was suspecting was just the lower portion - NO hook up above to go into the bolt hole (think just the lower half of the pic showing the bracket with hook). So - only ONE mount point on the rocker. And at it's weakest area. With a hook up top, and bolting the lower rocker lip - I think it would work ok.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologize for the late reply - but wanted to reply with a definitive result.

I debated quite a bit, and searched some more for prices, etc. Result was, I went to a truck accessory shop and had the Westins installed. Labor rate was $75/hr. Other places in my area (only 2 others - other than garages, etc.) wanted more since I didn't buy them from their shop. I went this route, as the DEF tank DEFINITELY HAS TO BE DROPPED unless you get some brackets similar to what 15HDriver described. Checked GM prices for their steps - ran $600-700 - from the internet.

Was quoted a price of about $125 for 1.5hrs. Took a LOT longer. About 3hrs. The 2017 DEF tank is different than earlier models. Apparently (I never took mine out, but looked at it when they "bared" it), and earlier models had all the sensors, wiring, etc. on the top of the DEF tank. 2017 has moved all that to the bottom of the tank. Took them about 1.5hrs to drop it to install the bracket. Only ONE bracket required this. The other, while tight, could be done by just taking off the DEF tank cover. Anyway, they only charged me what they quoted, but guaranteed they'll charge more for 2017+ in the future.

So - the Westins are installed, look good, and seem sturdy enough.

I purchased the Westin HDX for the following reasons:

• Wanted powder coated black - no chrome.
  • Wanted a step area that had some holes to drop mud/crud, and do a partial scrape of shoes/boots to keep it "outside"
  • Did not want a hollow tube - water gets in - rust and corrosion sets in.
  • Westin HDX have a "hollow" back, so you can get a high pressure sprayer back there to get the mud/crud out. Hopefully keep the rust at bay
  • Fairly heavy duty - pretty heavyweight - didn't weigh them.

But - the saga is over...

• 4 weeks later...

tundrwd, good stuff. Glad you got it figured out. I did as well!

As I indicated in a previous post, I had a complete nightmare trying to install a set of Lunds that were supposed to fit. I dropped the DEF tank, spilled fluid everywhere (including on myself), and I had to put it all back together after multiple hours without getting the bars to fit. Don't get me started on having to repackage it all in order to return it to the vendor that sold them to me.

Fast forward, and I saw that NFab was advertising new bars specifically built for the 2017. Their website even said that dropping the DEF tank wouldn't be required. The bars can be found here: http://www.n-fab.com/products/sfID1/67/sfID2/61/sfID3/65/productID/1212

Funny enough, I had a lot of the same criteria as you:

• Powder-coated black
  • Hollow back
  • Textured top with holes for mud / water resistance

I also had to have bed access steps, and those were harder to find than I would have thought.

The NFabs installed EASILY in less than an hour. They look incredible, and they have functioned flawlessly for the last month or so. I was originally concerned about the passenger side only mounting to the rocker panels beneath the DEF tank, but it's not been an issue. They look better in person than on the website, and I'm really happy overall.