Painting Calipers, Need Some Torque Specs

Hey fellas. I have the week off, so I've been looking for some projects to occupy my time. I narrowed it down to cleaning the gutters or painting the calipers--needless to say, I went with the latter. I'll have some pics when I'm done. For now, though, a question: does anyone have the torque specs for the caliper bolts? I'm talking about the ones that actually hold the calipers on to the caliper mounting bracket. I may be taking the caliper mounting bracket off as well, though, so if you have those, I'll take 'em too. Thanks :thumbs:

Service Information

2007 GMC Truck Sierra Denali | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Brakes | Disc Brakes | Specifications | Document ID: 1822552

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastener Tightening Specifications

Application

Specification

Metric

English

Brake Caliper Bleeder Screw

12 N·m

106 lb in

Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt, Front (JD9, JF3, JF7)

175 N·m

129 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt, Front (JH6, JH7)

300 N·m

221 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt, Rear (JD9)

200 N·m

148 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt, Rear (JH6)

200 N·m

148 lb ft

Brake Caliper Bracket Bolt, Rear (JH7)

300 N·m

221 lb ft

Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt, Front (JD9, JF3, JF7)

100 N·m

74 lb ft

Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt, Front (JH6, JH7)

108 N·m

80 lb ft

Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt, Rear (JD9)

38 N·m

28 lb ft

Brake Caliper Guide Pin Bolt, Rear (JH6, JH7)

108 N·m

80 lb ft

Brake Hose Fitting Bolt, Front (JD9, JF3, JF7)

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Brake Hose Fitting Bolt, Rear (JD9)

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Brake Hose Fitting Bolt, Front and Rear (JH6, JH7)

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Brake Rotor Screw (JD9, JF3, JF7)

12 N·m

106 lb in

Disc Brake Backing Plate Nut (JH6, JH7)

225 N·m

166 lb ft

Wheel Hub Extension Nut (JH7)

130 N·m

96 lb ft

Rich, you're the man :sigh:

Evil, you're definitely right about powder coating being the "right" way to do it. That's the way I did a TA I used to own, and it looked great and held up well. That is, unless you spill brake fluid on them. *cough* Anyways, I didn't want to mess around taking my calipers and brackets in to a shop to have them coated, so I figured I would try it myself and see how it went. I'm using Duplicolor caliper paint, and it see seems to be coating very well with a nice glossy finish. Pics to come soon, I promise.

Rich, you're the man :sigh:

Evil, you're definitely right about powder coating being the "right" way to do it. That's the way I did a TA I used to own, and it looked great and held up well. That is, unless you spill brake fluid on them. *cough* Anyways, I didn't want to mess around taking my calipers and brackets in to a shop to have them coated, so I figured I would try it myself and see how it went. I'm using Duplicolor caliper paint, and it see seems to be coating very well with a nice glossy finish. Pics to come soon, I promise.

I used Red Krylon on mine and it held up well for about a year. The brake dust finally took its toll and I just cleaned'em with brake cleaner and rubbing alcohol and repainted.

I leave my calipers on the truck and tape everything off.....pretty easy that way.

Don't do the Duplicolor brush on kit, it's a joke, go with their rattle can :sigh: It's a pretty easy job, leave the calipers on the vehicle & take the brackets off.

Just an example, here's my '99 Grand Prix when I did it a few years ago (haven't done it to the truck yet):

IMG_0802.JPG

IMG_0790.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

Haha, funny you should mention that, Stad. I actually bought the Duplicolor brush kit *first* and tried it that way. I figured with a brush, I wouldn't have to take everything off or mask off the surrounding areas and it would be much easier. Ha! What a joke that kit is. The brush is *terrible* as it literally falls apart while you use it. Plus, the paint doesn't cover worth a shit. It took about an hour to do just the one caliper. After I was done, I said screw it and bought the rattle cans. I'll use the brush kit to touch up any areas I can't get with the can, since I already dropped 20 bucks on it.

Haha, funny you should mention that, Stad. I actually bought the Duplicolor brush kit *first* and tried it that way. I figured with a brush, I wouldn't have to take everything off or mask off the surrounding areas and it would be much easier. Ha! What a joke that kit is. The brush is *terrible* as it literally falls apart while you use it. Plus, the paint doesn't cover worth a shit. It took about an hour to do just the one caliper. After I was done, I said screw it and bought the rattle cans. I'll use the brush kit to touch up any areas I can't get with the can, since I already dropped 20 bucks on it.

I learned from my mistakes on the first try too. That brush that comes with the "kit" sucks! Bristles fell off into the paint & when you tried to get them out you left smudge marks in the paint. If you tried to repaint that area, it's practically already cured.

• 2 weeks later...

Service Information

2003 GMC Truck GMC K Sierra - 4WD | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Brakes | Disc Brakes | Specifications | Document ID: 810069

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fastener Tightening Specifications

Application

Specification

Metric

English

Backing Plate Bolts

135 N·m

100 lb ft

Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt Front

108 N·m

80 lb ft

Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt Rear (15 series)

42 N·m

31 lb ft

Brake Caliper Mounting Bolt Rear (25/35 series)

108 N·m

80 lb ft

Brake Hose to Caliper Bolt, Front

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Brake Hose to Caliper Bolt, Rear

40 N·m

30 lb ft

Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolt Rear (JC3/JC4, JH5)

200 N·m

148 lb ft

Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolt Rear (JH6)

200 N·m

148 lb ft

Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolt Rear (JH7)

300 N·m

221 lb ft

Caliper Mounting Bracket Bolt Rear (NYS)

200 N·m

148 lb ft

Caliper Mounting Bracket to Knuckle, Front (15 series)

175 N·m

129 lb ft

Caliper Mounting Bracket to Knuckle, Front (25/35 series)

300 N·m

221 lb ft

Park Brake Equalizer

3.5 N·m

31 lb in

Quarter Shaft Shield

25 N·m

18 lb ft

Archived