How-To: GMT800 Vent Valve Solenoid Canister Location.

Hurl300

I have codes P0449 and P0455 that have come up due to a check engine light. (vent valve solenoid and emissions evaporator) How do I go about fixing them? I started with a new gas cap and that didn't work. And yes, I am one of those guys that like to top the tank off. I have since learned that is bad Ju Ju with these newer vehicles. I have a 2005 Silverado.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I have printed the 2 pics that were in the forum and have also seen the info provided about the price difference in the part numbers from a 2005 GM pick-up part at $160.00, Delco part $100.00 and the same part for a 2006 Suburban at $24.00. If the Suburban part and my 2005 Silverado part are the same, I will opt for the $24.00 part. Again thanks for the info.

Go with the $24 part. I followed the advice from Poster "odayflor" from the forum link above. I cross referenced GM part # 2593271 to AC Delco part # 214-2149. I bought the replacement from Advance Auto Parts for $22.99. They have it listed as an EGR valve. It is the exact replacement for the evap vent valve on my 2005 Silverado Crew Cab. I got four years and 46,000 miles out of the OEM part, I don't see any reason to "upgrade" to GM's modified part with the remote filter for around $150 more than the direct replacement. Below are some photos of the parts.

The first image is of both the old (left) and new (right) vent valve/filter units. Even the part numbers imprinted on the plastic housings were identical. The second image is the new vent valve/filter unit installed on the truck. I could not reuse the hose to the charcoal canister because it was too brittle. I replaced it using a short section of 5/8" heater hose to make the connection. All in all, it was less than a 30 minute job.

gallery_66955_748_28268.jpg

gallery_66955_748_58465.jpg

I am glad to see everyone taking advantage of my posts, and adding to it with photos and advise...My solenoid went bad after @ 45,000 miles (out of GM warranty of course). I researched the situation on the net for months before fixing it, because I just couldn't stand the idea of spending over $150,00 for a part that looks like it should cost $20.00. And to boot, the supposed $150.00 part was a dealer only part number, not available at the local parts stores....Then one day, after wondering if I would ever bring myself to pay that kind of money to get that stupid light to go off (after all it wasnt effecting the engine or my fuel mileage at all) I crawled under my 2006 suburban to see what kind of system it had under it. Low and behold, same identical part....For kicks, I called the nearest Chevy dealer, to see if they were showing the same $150.00 replacement, in fear that I would soon own two trucks with the same problem. To my surprise, the Chevy parts computer showed a direct replacement, with the exact same part for @ $22.00. Went and got it.Put it on, and it worked(of course it did, it was the same part). Read the posts above, because you will have to get a short piece of hose, and replace the brittle heat shrink one that was origionally attached to the solenoid, as seen in the above photos......

Good luck everyone...Lets get the word out, and Force Chevy to rethink the way they do business....After all, they are now the "NEW GM" right????

I am glad to see everyone taking advantage of my posts, and adding to it with photos and advise...My solenoid went bad after @ 45,000 miles (out of GM warranty of course). I researched the situation on the net for months before fixing it, because I just couldn't stand the idea of spending over $150,00 for a part that looks like it should cost $20.00. And to boot, the supposed $150.00 part was a dealer only part number, not available at the local parts stores....Then one day, after wondering if I would ever bring myself to pay that kind of money to get that stupid light to go off (after all it wasnt effecting the engine or my fuel mileage at all) I crawled under my 2006 suburban to see what kind of system it had under it. Low and behold, same identical part....For kicks, I called the nearest Chevy dealer, to see if they were showing the same $150.00 replacement, in fear that I would soon own two trucks with the same problem. To my surprise, the Chevy parts computer showed a direct replacement, with the exact same part for @ $22.00. Went and got it.Put it on, and it worked(of course it did, it was the same part). Read the posts above, because you will have to get a short piece of hose, and replace the brittle heat shrink one that was origionally attached to the solenoid, as seen in the above photos......

Good luck everyone...Lets get the word out, and Force Chevy to rethink the way they do business....After all, they are now the "NEW GM" right????

Glad to see that someone may have already found a solution to this problem. I have a 2003 Silverado. I too am guilty of "topping-off". I'm getting both PO449 and PO455 codes. How do I ensure I'm getting the right part? I'd obviously like to get the $22 version since the dealer just told me it's $80 to scan it and then depending on the issue up to $500 to fix it. Please let me know if you need further information. Thanks in advance, Brian

• 3 weeks later...

I just went through this exercise since I was getting code (P0449). Thanks to all the posting I was able to figure out what was wrong.

If you are experiencing this situation wit code P0449 check your gas cap first replace if necessary.

Otherwise it is a well know issue that the EVAP Emissions Canister (the one under neath the spare tire...I have an 07 Avalanche LTZ) is the part the need replacing. I have about 61,000 miles and this canister was giving me issues since I would clear the code and it would come back up.

Go to the Dealer and ask for part 25962086 ($27.19 without the tax) and repalce it underneath the truck...it should take you about half an hour tops and tha includes putting down the spare tire.

If anyone has questions I will more than happy to help.

Go with the $24 part. I followed the advice from Poster "odayflor" from the forum link above. I cross referenced GM part # 2593271 to AC Delco part # 214-2149. I bought the replacement from Advance Auto Parts for $22.99. They have it listed as an EGR valve. It is the exact replacement for the evap vent valve on my 2005 Silverado Crew Cab. I got four years and 46,000 miles out of the OEM part, I don't see any reason to "upgrade" to GM's modified part with the remote filter for around $150 more than the direct replacement. Below are some photos of the parts.

The first image is of both the old (left) and new (right) vent valve/filter units. Even the part numbers imprinted on the plastic housings were identical. The second image is the new vent valve/filter unit installed on the truck. I could not reuse the hose to the charcoal canister because it was too brittle. I replaced it using a short section of 5/8" heater hose to make the connection. All in all, it was less than a 30 minute job.

• 1 month later...

Is the replacement part still working? Also I noticed the number stamped on the 2 solenoids were different 1525C on the bad one & 2309B on the new replacement solenoid. However the number stamped on the filter cartridge, that the solenoid is attached to, is the same on both. I don't know if these numbers mean anything?

I do appreciate all the information!

I just went through this exercise since I was getting code (P0449). Thanks to all the posting I was able to figure out what was wrong.

If you are experiencing this situation wit code P0449 check your gas cap first replace if necessary.

Otherwise it is a well know issue that the EVAP Emissions Canister (the one under neath the spare tire...I have an 07 Avalanche LTZ) is the part the need replacing. I have about 61,000 miles and this canister was giving me issues since I would clear the code and it would come back up.

Go to the Dealer and ask for part 25962086 ($27.19 without the tax) and repalce it underneath the truck...it should take you about half an hour tops and tha includes putting down the spare tire.

If anyone has questions I will more than happy to help.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to add this in this thread:

My solenoid is different. Apparantly there are two different flavors for this part. I had the square one. I was able to buy the exact same solenoid that came off from the dealer, but it was ~$90. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting the right one, the round one will not fit my rig.

My solenoid is different. Apparantly there are two different flavors for this part. I had the square one. I was able to buy the exact same solenoid that came off from the dealer, but it was ~$90. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting the right one, the round one will not fit my rig.

My 2000 is the square one as well. When I popped this code a while back, I read the TSB on it. The cause was potentially dust plugging the vent solenoid so I figured what the heck, if I may have to buy a new one anyway, I might as well see if I can fix it myself. Well, I took it out, took it apart, blew all the dust out of it (a lot), put it back together, put it in, and NO CODES - Fixed. Took 1 hour.

My 2000 is the square one as well. When I popped this code a while back, I read the TSB on it. The cause was potentially dust plugging the vent solenoid so I figured what the heck, if I may have to buy a new one anyway, I might as well see if I can fix it myself. Well, I took it out, took it apart, blew all the dust out of it (a lot), put it back together, put it in, and NO CODES - Fixed. Took 1 hour.

It's easy except for the devil clip that holds the vent tube to the solenoid. I tried to take mine off and clean it a few months ago but the code came back in. It took me a good while to remove the tubing from the solenoid due to the tight space. You really have to squeeze the tabs and twist. Funny thing is that the new solenoid came with a new piece of tubing but you cannot remove the old tubing due to it being clipped down above the gas tank. I had to remove the new solenoid from the new tubing and re-use the old tubing. Holding it with both hands I could just barely get the new tubing off. It is really difficult to separate.

• 3 months later...

where did you get that part from. I check Autozone and O'Reilly's and they didn't have it. They all said for me to go to the Chevy dealer.

Archived