Tonneau Cover - Which Is Best

Considering putting a tonneau cover on my truck but not sure which is the best brand. I don't want a fiberglass one since I need to be able to still get my ATV in there. What I am looking for is one that keeps the most water / melting snow out. I don't really want to have to drill holes in the bed. Suggestions?

I bought an Access Lorado cover for my '08. Looked at bunches of soft cover reviews and the Lorado was rated as one of the best. It was real easy to install, taking about 20 minutes and a single 9/16 wrench. It has a bolt-on removable rail and there is a version for trucks that have the GM factory bed tie-down option.

It fits nice and tight and has a latch that can only be accessed when the tailgate is down. Get a lock for the tailgate and you have a basic security system for the box.

I got mine from AutoAnything for $450 shipped. RealTruck also has the same one for a similar price.

I bought an Access Lorado cover for my '08. Looked at bunches of soft cover reviews and the Lorado was rated as one of the best. It was real easy to install, taking about 20 minutes and a single 9/16 wrench. It has a bolt-on removable rail and there is a version for trucks that have the GM factory bed tie-down option.

It fits nice and tight and has a latch that can only be accessed when the tailgate is down. Get a lock for the tailgate and you have a basic security system for the box.

I got mine from AutoAnything for $450 shipped. RealTruck also has the same one for a similar price.

I did a ton of research also before I ended up buying the Access Lorado. The Truxedo Lo Pro was my second choice. I've had it for about a year and it seems to be holding up well. Every few washes I'll put some 303 on it and it still looks new. I haven't noticed any wear and tear.

I'm very happy with it. The local shop sold it to me for $375.

Truxedo LoPro. I think it was $450 for my '98 reg. bed.

I like how the velcro is at about a 50-60 degree angle. You can hardly tell it is on the truck when closed. The slant also makes rolling and unrolling really easy (the ones that are vertical I think are a pain and aren't as easy to roll). Plus there is only 1 latch on the driver's side for releasing it. It is made of metal, not like the cheap plastic ones that are a pain in the @$$ in the winter. They tend to bind and wear out I think.

Plus, as long as you own the truck, you get replacement velcro FREE! All you do is remove the end caps (on the rails clamped to the bed side), slide out the old and in with the new. I haven't done it yet, but I'm glad I'm covered when I need them.

If you are worried about taking it in and out, the new QT model (which is the only way the LoPro comes now) has 6 clamps that hold on the side rails that require no tools to remove. All you do is roll up the cover, release 2 latches to remove the rolled up cover and support by the cab, and release 3 clamps per side, and your done.

I've rolled mine up when it is 0 degrees outside and have never had a problem with it being stiff rolling up or unrolling.

I'll never have anything other than the Truxedo LoPro.

Considering putting a tonneau cover on my truck but not sure which is the best brand. I don't want a fiberglass one since I need to be able to still get my ATV in there. What I am looking for is one that keeps the most water / melting snow out. I don't really want to have to drill holes in the bed. Suggestions?

After a fair amount of research, I went with the Truxedo Lo Pro QT. Great quality, easy installation and easy to use. I HIGHLY recommend!

The low profile appearance is what I really wanted. Once I took everything out of the box, it took less than 30 minutes to install. Perfect fit...no adjustments right out of the box!

Here's a recent picture..

post-2232-1266972872_thumb.jpg

After a fair amount of research, I went with the Truxedo Lo Pro QT. Great quality, easy installation and easy to use. I HIGHLY recommend!

The low profile appearance is what I really wanted. Once I took everything out of the box, it took less than 30 minutes to install. Perfect fit...no adjustments right out of the box!

Here's a recent picture..

Very nice looking. I have heard that some covers tend to shrink in the cold weather, which is of course a concern.

Has this been something anyone has encountered?

Very nice looking. I have heard that some covers tend to shrink in the cold weather, which is of course a concern.

Has this been something anyone has encountered?

The cool thing about the Truxedo Lo Pro QT is that it has an automatic tensioning system. The velcro slides fore and aft as the tensioning system adjusts for fabric tension changes!

Another vote for the Lo Pro QT :puke:

done3.jpg

done6.jpg

Here's a picture of the spring loaded tensioner that keeps the cover tight as the cover heats/cools with ambient temp. You set the "initial" tension by screwing it in/out and then as the temperature changes, there's an internal spring that relaxes/compresses.

truxedo006.jpg

Another vote for the Lo Pro QT :puke:

Here's a picture of the spring loaded tensioner that keeps the cover tight as the cover heats/cools with ambient temp. You set the "initial" tension by screwing it in/out and then as the temperature changes, there's an internal spring that relaxes/compresses.

Like that - why does it not go over the rails though? Does water not get in there? What about snow/ice in the winter does it affect the ability to open it

You should brush off as much snow/ice as you can no matter what brand it is.

The ice on mine usually just breaks up and falls off. The other thing I do is hit the the cover with a snow brush (for use on vehicles) and the ice breaks right up. It breaks up so easily because the rollup covers flex and obviously ice can't.

If the cover isn't tight enough or the auto-tensioner can't compensate for it, there are 2 large screws (1 on each side rail) that you turn in/out to adjust the tension. I haven't had to do it yet, but if I ever do, it is super easy.

Matt_ 's pics are perfect. They show everything that you need to know.

Like that - why does it not go over the rails though? Does water not get in there? What about snow/ice in the winter does it affect the ability to open it

The side rails for the cover have a rubber seal that seals against the bed rails. And the tailgate and cab ends have a rubber flap that seal both ends. Two weekends ago we traveled to North Georgia during their snow storm. Between the 4 - 5 inches of snow on Friday and Saturday, and then the nasty meltdown on our return home on Sunday, there were no leaks inside the bed of the truck. I had actually wrapped the luggage in plastic "just in case", but it wasn't necessary. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the cover kept the moisture out!!

Archived