Hole In Transfer Case

Well guys havent been on here in a while, but lets get to the point. I noticed my transfer case 01 ccsb 2500HD was leaking and figured it was the rear seal. i sprayed it all down with degreaser and hit it with pressure washer, got air hose out and blow dried it real good and took it around the block. crawled under it and it wasnt the real seal (DARN :sigh: ) but it was a hole in the housing bout the size of a pencil eraser(F :mad: &k). So just wonderin if i should try to have it welded or replace it. And has any one else had the problem by chance, looked to me like a thin spot in the casing material. any help would be apprecitaited.

thanks in advanced,

Eric

Celina,Ohio

Dang that sucks,... there's a problem with a $2 dollar spring clip that rubs the aluminum housing and "rubs" a hole into the housing. Not all that common, but I've def. read about it. I think it's better to replace. Till you find the parts you need to fix it... it will most likely cost more to just replace with one out of a salvage yard with lower mileage.

Good luck

that case is magnesium, just use some jb weld and get the pump rub fix from merchant automotive, or kennedy. put it in and you are good to go. the merchant automotive fix is a piece of aircraft grade aluminum and the owner garentees not to ever have pump rub ever again

thanks for all the help guys. I will check out the kits to fix the problem and see what its gonna cost me. by the way do i need to replace the case mounting bolts or are they reuseable. and how big of a pain is this gona be.

thanks for all the help guys. I will check out the kits to fix the problem and see what its gonna cost me. by the way do i need to replace the case mounting bolts or are they reuseable. and how big of a pain is this gona be.

If I recall right, the bolts are reusable. It really isn't too hard of a project. Since this is such a widespread problem, there are plenty of places on the web that have instructions on how to fix it. It's possible by yourself, but it never hurts to have a second person to help lower the case, fetch tools, open beer, ect..

well im gonna order the kit from Merchant and hopefully get it takn apart this wknd and see what else i will have to order. Im gonna try to fix hole in case rather then buy new half unless i have to of course. Or i could just have someone machine an adapter and put a NP205 cast iron gear/gear transfer case under i t and not have any more problems with it..........who knows.

I think your best bet at this point would be to remove case, make the fix, and repair the hole. Like I mentioned before, JB Weld has been working for me for a while now. While the case is on the bench, just sand/clean/prep the hole and you'll be good to apply JB Weld or the epoxy of your choice.

• 5 months later...

I just found this thread and it really opend my eyes. I have a 2003 1500HD and the tag on the transfer case has 246 GM on it. I use it to tow my toy box, but the truck only has 57,000 miles on it.

Generally how many miles is on a truck that this problem starts to show up on? I'm thinking that changing the case saver now might just be a cheap insurance policy.

Archived