Bilstein 1500 Leveling Shocks

:dunno: Installed the bilstein leveling shocks on my 2008 chevy silverado 1500 crewcab today. The install went very smooth and easy. The truck now sits perfectly level. I used the loaner strut spring compressor for auto zone and it worked just fine. A $50.00 deposit and it was returned when I took the tool back FREE TOOL LOAN. I would however suggest that you use a air gun to compress the springs as I think a ratchet would be diffucult at best. The whole job took 4 hours and that was not rushing and re undercoating and touching up the paint on the a arms. I first removed the 3 top coil over 18mm bolts located on the top by opening the hood and using a few long extensions, 18mm socket and 1/2 drive ratchet. I then put the truck on jack stands and removed the 2 lower shock bolts 15mm. I then removed the swaybar bolts 15mm and placed a bottle jack under the lower a arm leaving it about 1 inch from the arm. Then removed the 18mm uper ball joint bolt and with a few hits with a large hammer dropped the upper ball joint. the coilover came out easily. Compressed the springs and assembled the unit as per the instruction included with the kit. Reinstalled the unit and then used the bottle jack and a prybar on the upper a arm, to jack the ball joint back in place. Reversed the order and walla! The job was done. I used the very top ring groove and the truck sits nice, and rides great. I had a rough country spacer in this vehicle and there in no comparison on the ride quality. Sam

:dunno:

As someone sitting on the fence on how to level my truck, {Rancho, Bilstien, RC, Zone, etc, etc...} What made you want to change out the RC kit?

Thanks

First off, there is no comparison in the quality or the ride. I installed the rough country spacer and removed it after about 2 weeks. It just was a (mickey mouse) way to level the truck. I bought the bilstein leveling 1500 kit from www.donssport.com/ for $330.00 shipped to my door. The spacer did not change the factory ride at all. The bilsteins firm up the soft factory ride. Make the truck sit perfectly level. Have a lifetime warranty, look great, You will not be sorry that you spent the extra money and leveled the truck this way. sam

i got bilsteins leveling shocks installed in march on my 09 silverado. I will strong discourage anyone who attempts to install them and is not a "professional", the suppressed springs are very dangerous and could lead to serious injury if not death.

My technician friend installed mine at the dealership with the right tools and still mentioned people have gotten injured and had some close calls for not being careful and not doing it proper.

Side note: I had the z71 shocks and it seemed like the factory shocks where a bit "softer", with the bilsteins its definitely a more "stiffer", firmer ride. Overall i think its a great way to level your truck. No regrets.

i got bilsteins leveling shocks installed in march on my 09 silverado. I will strong discourage anyone who attempts to install them and is not a "professional", the suppressed springs are very dangerous and could lead to serious injury if not death.

My technician friend installed mine at the dealership with the right tools and still mentioned people have gotten injured and had some close calls for not being careful and not doing it proper.

Side note: I had the z71 shocks and it seemed like the factory shocks where a bit "softer", with the bilsteins its definitely a more "stiffer", firmer ride. Overall i think its a great way to level your truck. No regrets.

Agreed. I put mine on the 1.2 inch setting and mine sits at 38 inches at all 4 fenders.

Agreed. I put mine on the 1.2 inch setting and mine sits at 38 inches at all 4 fenders.

I agree that if you are not comfortable with your mechanical skills or your tools, then you should let a "professional" do your job. I installed the spring mounting clip on the highest of the 4 grooves. The truck sits perfectely level. It has been a week and I have had an alignment and the headlights adjusted. The truck looks, sits, and rides great.

Congrats. I installed a 7-9" pair about 6 months ago and I love them!

Hey if i remember you ordered those from Cognito right? And you can set the height with them right? I am working on how i want to lift the front and rear another 1.5"s I was going to just go with a coilspacer, but If i get these, then It would eliminate the extension, get me fresh shocks, and some height at the same time.

Can i get an extra 1.5" out of it over standard fabtech setup?

• 1 month later...

I just bought the Bilstein 5100s also, might get them on this weekend. I think the choice between Bilsteins and everything else is a no-brainer: Bilsteins have an international reputation, highest quality, lifetime warranty. In my opinion, Koni or Bilstein are the only choice for anything. Koni doesn't make any shocks for the GMT900 1500s though.

• 1 year later...

I just bought some 5100s as well. After 6.5 hours, we threw in the towel. I took my truck to NTB, but they claim they were unable to install on any settings above the lowest/OEM ride height. I have a 2008 2wd crewcab Z71 just like AustinTX's rig. I wanted to set mine at the second from top setting. Whats the secret to installing these?? I'm very irritated that NTB wasnt able to do what I asked.

Archived