Help Me Choose.... Suburban 2500 Or Denali Xl

I have a 2008 Suburban LTZ. It has the 5.3L with 4-speed tranny, heavy duty tow package, and 3.73 axle ratio. It is about to pass 36,000 miles (bye bye warranty). It's been a good family rig. We love the size, space, seating config, etc. But there have been a number of little warranty fixes (door locks, rattles, and the like), and I have never really thought it was a great tow rig...

We tow our 21' foot wakeboard boat which weighs about 6,000 lbs. (incl. trailer, gas, and gear). When we tow, it's two adults, four kids, and a bunch of camping gear, coolers, etc. The truck seems pretty maxed out on these long trips over mountain passes (struggle up grades and tranny fluid exceeding 230 degrees).

I have debated just selling it and getting one of the following as a replacement:

2011 Yukon Denali XL: It has the 6.2L with 6-speed tranny which offers 403hp & 417 ft-lbs of torque. However, the axle ratio is only 3.42 and despite the extra power, the Denali has a slightly lower tow rating than my 1/2 ton Suburban (7,800 vs. 8,000). I'm guessing that's because the Denali weighs more than my 1/2 ton Sub.

2011 Suburban 2500: It has the 6.0L with 6-speed tranny, but only offers 352hp & 382 ft-lbs of torque. The only axle ratio available is 3.73. However, the tow rating is 9,400 lbs. I'm sure this is because of the larger frame, suspension, etc.

Remember, my two beefs with the Suburban 1500 is the power up hills and the tranny getting hot.

Will either of these new rigs solve those problems?

My sense is that the Denali is a hot rod and the big 6.2L motor is hard to pass on. That engine plus the 6-speed transmission should be a huge improvement, right?

But part of me says the Sub 2500 is the way to go based on the higher tow rating.

However, if either of these rigs is going to spike tranny temps in the 230+ range, I should just keep the truck I have... it heats up the tranny just fine. :thumbs:

Getting a new warranty would be nice... but what I really want is a stronger tow vehicle. Would I even notice the difference? I'm afraid I'll get it out on my next long trip with the boat and it will act the same (s). Afterall, these are still gassers.

Thoughts...?

P.S. Please don't tell me to get a diesel. This is my wife's daily driver and she won't go near them.

Pic003.jpg

I say go with the 2500 Suburban. If you are looking for a good tow rig the Suburban is the better choice. The Denali has more overall power but the Suburban has plenty of power with a better set up for towing being that it's a 2500. You are getting the more heavy duty suspension which will suit you better for towing. Plus the suburban has the 3.73 rear end versus the 3.42 in the Denali. You will also be upgrading from the 5.3L in your current rig to the 6.0L engine of the 2500 Suburban. In my opinion if your gunna be doing a good bit of towing with it, it's an easy choice. I think you will be disappointed if you go with the Denali.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live with the 2500 day-to-day. I would choose the Denali. I think the Denali will tow better than your current rig. But I cannot be sure of that. If I were you, I'd go test drive both and feel them out. If you can tell the Denali is noticeably stronger than the current Burb' than I'd go for that. But if it doesn't, go with the 2500. Or, if the dealership will let you, keep the Denali over night and pull your boat with it a little. Either way, if it's a GM truck, you can't go wrong. :thumbs:

what you have to do is test drive both of them to see which you like better. obviously the denali is going to have a softer ride, be faster, and look a little cooler but the 2500 will tow better. you may not like the roughness of the 2500 but it may be worth it. you gotta test drive.

another thing that would be a big factor for ME, would be the fact that the denali is AWD. i do not like, or want AWD and i would take the 2500 over the denali because of that. thats just my opinion.

I appreciate the feedback so far. But remember the two areas where I think the 1/2 ton falls short as a tow rig:

1) Lags up hills... 45mph and 4,000 rpm. Ugh.

2) Tranny temp spiking to 235 degrees on extended climbs.

Honestly, I think either the 3/4 ton or the Denali XL will help with #1 since they both have much stronger motors. Also, the 6-speed transmitions should help too since the downshifts should be less drastic.

But #2 has me totally stumped. Remember, my Sub has the OEM tranny cooler and the temp still gets hot. I've read a few threads on here that the 3/4 ton Sub also overheats the trans fluid. What gives? Is 235 degrees acceptable? Am I overreacting on this? I mean, when it happens, it doesn't last long. As soon as the climb finishes, the temp slowly comes back down to the 180 - 210 range.

Will either of the new rigs make a difference to #2?

Unfortunately a test drive won't help unless the dealer will let me hook up my boat and run it up so big ass hills. LOL. :thumbs:

The reason I hesitate to jump on the 3/4 ton is that they are HARD to find and the things it offers over the 1/2 ton are things I don't really have a problem with: bigger frame (so what?), and stronger leaf spring suspension (but I love the auto leveling suspension of the LTZ).

See why this is hard?

I happen to have a 2010 2500 Yukon XL 4x4.

It is an AWESOME vehicle, both for daily driving and towing. It does not ride nearly as rough as I thought it would, but it is stiffer than a 1/2.

I would not ever get anything less than the 2500. I've towed a 9000 lb boat on a hot day up hills and the tranny got to 200 flying up some steep hills (I ran it as hard as I could to see what it would get up to). Flat ground and less steep hills it ran about 180 the whole time.

I would highly recommend the 2500. I too thought about the 6.2 in the Denali (and Escalade), but the 2500 is the best vehicle for my needs.

I also liked the fact that they are quite a bit rarer, that was a selling point for me.

I ordered mine so I got it exactly the way I wanted it. I got the SLT-2, with every option, but the snow plow prep. (MSRP $59,090).

FYI, equipped as close to a 1/2 ton as I could make it to get a good comparison on price (5.3 in the 1/2, not the 6.2, which would have cost $1,000 more on the 1/2) the 2500 was $130 CHEAPER (MSRP) than the 1/2 ton.

Even though I was going to get a 2500 no matter what, the $130 cheaper just made me smile a little bigger.

Go with the 2500 and you won't regret it.

i think the 2500 may be the way to go for you... what tranny does your have 10YukonXL2500? the 4L80 or 4L90? eitherway, thats a big ass tranny that should have no overheating problems

yes your right, either SUV you get will be a big improvement over your 5.3.

and can you still get 4.10's with the 2500? that would definatley be the right way to go.. let the gears do the pulling too.

Unfortunately a test drive of both vehicles isn't going to be the best indicator of which vehicle will suit his needs better. He is looking to make a change because he isn't satisfied with the towing performance of his current vehicle. Unless he loads each vehicle with his family, gear, and boat, then drive through the mountains he won't know which one is better. Go with the 2500, it's made to tow. As far as the tranny, you can always add a larger aftermarket tranny cooler. Although the Denali will tow, the Suburban is designed as a large family tow rig. Easy choice.

The 2500 Burb would be the better choice for towing but also being a daily driver, I couldn't stand the gas mileage. EPA 10 city and 15 highway and real world you'll get worse. I guess you have to pay to play.

The 2500 Burb would be the better choice for towing but also being a daily driver, I couldn't stand the gas mileage. EPA 10 city and 15 highway and real world you'll get worse. I guess you have to pay to play.

You said it! This is one of my concerns. I know MPG's are lousy in any big SUV. My 1500 is no exception. But it's hard to swallow the fact that 2500 will be worse than the Denali, a truck with more HP and torque and probably a better daily driver for my wife.

Say... does anybody know if the 6-speed in the Denali is the same as the 6-speed in the 2500? If they are the same, I'm leaning toward Denali. If the 2500 is purpose built for towin (thus able to maintain lower temps), then I'm all over the 2500.

Thanks again for your help on this. What a great forum!

Go with the Denali. the ride, comfort and power will be great. The AWD is nice too. If you still want more power go for a tune. Try the Denali forum and see who has a Yukon XL Denali

and tows. www.denalitrucks.com

this is my first expierience with a 2500 yukon/suv but i love it and wouldnt switch. it has all the denali fetures so its the perfect fit luxury/toughness...to bad they dont make the new ones with a real motor.

Say... does anybody know if the 6-speed in the Denali is the same as the 6-speed in the 2500? If they are the same, I'm leaning toward Denali. If the 2500 is purpose built for towin (thus able to maintain lower temps), then I'm all over the 2500.

The Denali uses the 6L80E 6-speed while the Suburban 2500 uses the 6L90E HD 6-speed transmission. Both units have the same gearing. The 2500 Suburban also has a much heavier duty rear axle.

Archived