2500hd 6.0l Gas Mileage.

• 2 weeks later...
Normal.My 6.2L also lost about 1 mpg probably due to longer engine warmup and richer fuel mixture upon startup.Winter fuel blending might be an issue as well.

I'd blame winter fuel. All my vehicles are down on mpg. Oxygenated fuel with 10% ethanol sucks.

• 3 weeks later...

I took a gas 2500hd 2011 crew out for an hour yesterday and got 16.5 at 65 as soon as I hit 70 it dropped to 15, 75 was really bad about 13, but I found a 55mph divided highway and got about 18mpg. I drove without a lead foot, driving with one I guess, would result in much worse numbers. not all that bad for winter gas with 10% ethanol.

Traded in my perfectly good 2004 Silverado 2500 HD Dmax extended cab 4wd for a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD extended cab 4wd with the 6.0 last week to take advantage of GM January incentives. I had reservations mainly being concerned about fuel economy. 500 miles on the truck now it has burned 55 gallons of gasoline averaging around 9 mpg. 150 miles was pushing snow in 4 wd and the other 350 was in 2 wd and driving easy. Salesman said on average to expect 16 to 18 mpg and I heard these numbers from other 6.0 owners as well. Is this the kind of fuel economy I can expect for the life of this truck? Am I stuck with a gas hog?

• 2 weeks later...
Traded in my perfectly good 2004 Silverado 2500 HD Dmax extended cab 4wd for a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD extended cab 4wd with the 6.0 last week to take advantage of GM January incentives. I had reservations mainly being concerned about fuel economy. 500 miles on the truck now it has burned 55 gallons of gasoline averaging around 9 mpg. 150 miles was pushing snow in 4 wd and the other 350 was in 2 wd and driving easy. Salesman said on average to expect 16 to 18 mpg and I heard these numbers from other 6.0 owners as well. Is this the kind of fuel economy I can expect for the life of this truck? Am I stuck with a gas hog?

Your salesman was blowing smoke :lol: When I bought my '08 2500 HD 2wd Reg/Cab with 8' service body & 6.0L, my salesman did give me an honest "GM ain't known for mileage with this motor" statement and he was right. I got about 9.5 mpg with my truck from the time it had 20 miles to about 3-5K miles. Seamed like after break-in I have been averaging 10.8 mpg +/- but that is loaded up with 800-1100 lbs of my tools and gear in the box, plus some in town and little highway. Even with all the weight and the drag of the utility box I can pull off an honest mid 13 mpg reading if I drive the truck like there is an egg under the gas pedal.

I get about 11-12 in my 2006 CC 6' with the 6.0. When I drove home from Atlanta to Orlando over turkey weekend I decided to see what I'd get doing 65 the whole way. I was just shy of breaking 15 mpg hand calculating it. On the way there I was running between 75-90 and I got around 13 mpg

• 2 weeks later...

well I picked up my 2500HD 2011 3.73 and its only got 30 miles on it, right now the mileage it really bad worse than the one I drove before I ordered. Im only seeing 9 in town and 11-12 hwy. the one I demo drove was 13/17

well I picked up my 2500HD 2011 3.73 and its only got 30 miles on it, right now the mileage it really bad worse than the one I drove before I ordered. Im only seeing 9 in town and 11-12 hwy. the one I demo drove was 13/17

Ouch. What kind of outdoor temp for the test drive vs now? Nice truck though...

We waiting for our 2011 2500 SLT CC 4wd to come in. I wanted the diesel but could not justify the extra $$.

You should get a different brand of gas, sounds like some bad fuel. Dad went through that on his 2008, changed brands and it came right back up.

We waiting for our 2011 2500 SLT CC 4wd to come in. I wanted the diesel but could not justify the extra $.

You should get a different brand of gas, sounds like some bad fuel. Dad went through that on his 2008, changed brands and it came right back up.

the dealer filled it before I picked it up, maybe they put crap in it, or is it because the computer has not had time to learn the engine it only has 30 miles on it :dunno: they topped it off with 2 miles on it I filled it again today with 2.75 gallons @ 29 miles on it. I think I have to drive it a bit more

How are you guys breaking in your trucks? Are you driving them hard or are you doing what the manual says? When I got mine - I drove it hard for the first 500 miles or so. I am getting 13 in town and 15 on highway. Haven't towed with it and I had an 06 Diesel so it will be hard to compare.

I generally average 13.2-14.3 unloaded mostly highway. The worst tank I had was 10.2mpg and that was all in 4WD in the snow, including pulling a few folks out of ditches. This last tank was all towing and I got 11.3mpg.

Archived