6.2l Pcv Catch Can

Just thought id throw this on here, its a PCV catch can i bought. Just a husky brand mini air line oil seperator. Has a cintered brass filter. Got it at home depot for 12$. As you can see at only 50 miles on it there is already a little bit of oil inside at the very bottom and the whole inside of the plastic container has an oil coating. Probably be a good idea on any engine. If you do decide to go with this filter make sure you plug the bottom drain somehow or else it will create a vacuum leak. I just melted it shut and put a vacuum cap over it to be safe. Works great and is only 12$.

SDC10632.jpg

SDC10631.jpg

If the catch can isn't there all that lovely oil coats the inside of your intake manifold and intake ports and everything else in its path till its gets to the combustion chamber. Id recommend this be done on any motor especially the L series motors. They seem to be real oil eaters.

If the catch can isn't there all that lovely oil coats the inside of your intake manifold and intake ports and everything else in its path till its gets to the combustion chamber. Id recommend this be done on any motor especially the L series motors. They seem to be real oil eaters.

i don't consume barely any oil :D

• 3 weeks later...

oh yeah forgot to mention i put a pad of industrial strength Velcro on the back of the filter itself to hold it to the engine cover. The zip ties are mainly to keep the filter level and flush to the cover.

• 1 month later...

Are there any downsides to doing this mod? Would heat affect the piece over time? How did you connect the hose to the existing PCV hose? Did you require cutting the stock hose? What diameter tubing did you use to splice the oil separator in there?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm interested in doing this. Thanks

No down sides that i could think of, except maybe having to unscrew the catch can and clean it every now and then but thats to simple. I just used hose clamps and 3/8 fuel line hose from autozone to run the line. Connected it to the valve cover port with a clamp. Then cut the stock pcv hose back till there was about 3 or 4 inches left were it goes into the intake and clamped the rubber hose onto that. I dont see heat effecting anything. Its a solid piece of aluminum and nothing is in contact with anything that gets hot at all. Hope this helps.

Keeps the inside of the intake manifold cleaner. Oil mist condensate from the PC opening gets deposited on the interior surfaces and is drawn into the combustion chambers, where it supposedly is burned. It can coke up on the heads of the intake valves. Doesn't hurt to catch it before it gets to the manifold. Some choose to; some choose not to; your choice.

• 3 weeks later...

I was under the impression that synthetic oils had a higher vaporization point than 'dino' oils and would be somewhat less of a concern in the intake system.

DEWFPO

Archived