Remote Starter Price In Dealership To Program?

:thumbs: Im interested in haveing remote starter installed in my Chevy 1500 2008 v8 5.3.I found in glove compartment the code AP8 which i belive means i had it Package installed in Factory.The kit i can get for $175 from GMdirect.What i need to know approximately what dealer might charge for programing it.I see one had cost only $40 bucks .Another wanted 1-1/2 hour charge .Is that crazy thats almost $150 to $200.I assumed it was just getting the code and program the remotes,dealer gets from GM .If i have the original AP8 in my car from factory so why the extra labor,am i kmissing something.Any gentlemen from service dealership here could give some input or any of you that had yours done i appreciate some input;

jerry

:thumbs: Im interested in haveing remote starter installed in my Chevy 1500 2008 v8 5.3.I found in glove compartment the code AP8 which i belive means i had it Package installed in Factory.The kit i can get for $175 from GMdirect.What i need to know approximately what dealer might charge for programing it.I see one had cost only $40 bucks .Another wanted 1-1/2 hour charge .Is that crazy thats almost $150 to $200.I assumed it was just getting the code and program the remotes,dealer gets from GM .If i have the original AP8 in my car from factory so why the extra labor,am i kmissing something.Any gentlemen from service dealership here could give some input or any of you that had yours done i appreciate some input;

jerry

some dealers charge for the entire time the truck is in the shop so when they pull it in and call the VIN and code into GM if it takes 2 hours for Them to call back with the authorization, you pay for that. Other, Better, dealers will charge you a fair flat rate and call in the codes/program in between other jobs

Remote Start

Part Name : Factory Remote Start - For Use on Vehicles with Extended Range Remote Lock Control (AP8), Includes 2 Fobs

Part Number: 17801236

Requires RPO's : AP8 More...

By pressing a button on the key fob, the remote start system starts your parked Sierra. Great for p...

More...

Installed $269.07

that's the installed price at my dealer if you have the AP8 code

I have to buy it from my dealer, if I walk in with the parts they kinda over charge you

I called around to a couple dealers (including GMC who is actually the dealer that ended up doing the install) They were all willing to match GMParts Direct's shipped price. And I had a range of costs for the programming from $40 - $125. It sounded to me like the dealer who quoted me $40 did the reprogram before. The others made it seem when talking to them that they did not know what was going on....

My total installed price with tax etc was $228.00

I would call around and try to negotiate. The best scenario is if you have a relationship with a local dealer to talk to them and let them know that you know what is involved and to work with you. If it takes the dealer an hour to perform this programming then they are a bunch of knuckleheads....

Sweet! I have the same truck, what parts did you need to order? How do I know what I need to order? I'd love to have the key fob with the display and mini antenna (p/n 19171129 ), and do the same thing to mine! Do all I need is to find that AP8 code in my glove box?

Thanks!

Is the programming something I can do myself? Because you can get these from GM parts direct for 136.50?

No you cannot do it yourself. The dealer needs to call GM with your vin and the codes from the remote start to get an unlock code which is entered into the computers they hook up to your truck.

$136 is GMpartsdirect's price before shipping. To your door the price is more like $175.00. Like I said before, all of the dealers I talked to were willing to match that price and they had next day delivery. I would assume GMPARTSDIRECT will ship UPS ground which will take over a week for delivery.

Sweet! I have the same truck, what parts did you need to order? How do I know what I need to order? I'd love to have the key fob with the display and mini antenna (p/n 19171129 ), and do the same thing to mine! Do all I need is to find that AP8 code in my glove box?

Thanks!

Looks like there are two different configurations for the 2-way with RPO AP8 at GMPARTSDIRECT. I would call the dealer to confirm but...

19171128 2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP8, C49, w/o RPO Code A48, HP2)

19213166 2-Way Advanced Remote Start (w/ RPO Code AP8, HP2, w/o RPO Code A48, C49)

Archived