Is Your Gmt-900 Truck Or Suv Using Oil

Is your GMT-900 using oil  

1,554 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are many topics out there and no real data between members. Hopefully this will catch some data and show a real story. Please be thruthful with your selections.

Please only post oil consumtion concerns here and please stay on topic. Please no long debates about AFM people either love it or hate it we all understand this.

Thanks! :D

Edited by RyanbabZ71
  • Like 1

After you vote, and you are using oil, please give some stats IE, what engine you have, iron block or aluminum, oil you're using, miles on your vehicle and if you have completed a consumption test.

Thanks to the MOD for setting this up!!

07 Silvy running Mobil 1 full syn. Changing at 5k intervals. Iron block. 57k on the clock. No lifter noise on startup. No missfires. Runs strong. Have completed the consumption test using 1 3/4 qts. per 3000k.

07 5.3 CCSB- I'm not sure what kind of block? I bought it used nov. 2010 with 35000mi. at 39000 low oil light came on, 1.5 qt low. I just started oil consumption test

This is what we're looking for. AFM engines that are using oil. :D

There are many topics out there and no real data between members. Hopefully this will catch some data and show a real story. Please be thruthful with your selections.

Please only post oil consumtion concerns here and please stay on topic. Please no long debates about AFM people either love it or hate it we all understand this.

This poll is flawed if I understand correctly, we know if people are burning or not. But theres no way to accuratly gauge which engines are burning more, you can still pick engines and amounts of oil even if you choose "No"

• Like 1

08 5.3 afm w/45k.. Using whatever the dealership uses as far as oil, so was the original owner according to carfax service records, so id imagine goodwrench oil. Truck has been on the full mark every time I have checked it, knock on wood. :D

08 5.3 afm w/45k.. Using whatever the dealership uses as far as oil, so was the original owner according to carfax service records, so id imagine goodwrench oil. Truck has been on the full mark every time I have checked it, knock on wood. :D

Could be many different oils, as different dealerships use different brands. Mine back when I used to go to the dealership was castrol.

Could be many different oils, as different dealerships use different brands. Mine back when I used to go to the dealership was castrol.

That's true, I get the basic 34.95 Lube and filter change. And on there ad it says goodwrench oil, but I will ask next time outta curiosity.

This poll is flawed if I understand correctly, we know if people are burning or not. But theres no way to accuratly gauge which engines are burning more, you can still pick engines and amounts of oil even if you choose "No"

That is why you then post in here if you are using oil.

Please stay on topic!

Bought brand new....'07 5.3 w/AFM alum block, 4 speed, 54k, started at 26k(valve cover PCV replacement), again at 52k(new lifters driver side, AFM relief valve shield, and decarbon piston rings), whatever type oil dealer uses, 4k-6k between changes, mixed driving(city&hwy), some towing but not heavy(<3000#). The amount used seems to vary due to the two repairs I've had done, but seems to get worse as time goes on.

At 2000 miles past the last repair, 1/2 qt low.

• Like 1

07 5.3 AFM Alum. Block, using 2quarts per 5000 km. Consumption test done, dealer told me it's "normal" so I've written them off as morons.

I should add though that it only consumes oil when in 4cyl mode for extended periods of time. When I make a 1000km trip on the highway I can go through 3/4 of a quart. If I drive only in the city for 5000km It doesn't consume very much at all. Definatly AFM related.

we have a fleet of these trucks , over 125 of them. day by day these are coming into the shop with low oil levels or lifters that have failed. they dont think its if you will have problems with these afm engines but when. the upper brass are now looking at other manufactures.