Truck Won't Start

I just installed a electric fan on my truck and just hooked up all the wiring. I was looking for the A/C compressor switch/relay to hook up the fan. I hooked it up, I jump in the truck to start it and make sure it all works. Well to my surprise it wouldn't start. I checked my battery and it was reading 15% full according to my charger so I threw the charger on it and still nothing. When I try to start the truck I can hear the starter relay click and thats it. I know its the relay clicking because I had my fiancee turn the key when I put my finger on the relay. It doesn't even try to turn over.

The fan was running fine for about 2 months now. I just wanted to hook up the A/C compressor to the fan so it will kick on with the A/C.

Thanks,

Chas

EDIT: Just tried starting the truck with the headlights in the "On" position and they went off. I also tried jumping it with my fiancee's car and nothing just the same thing.

Is it possible to fry the computer? I can press the gas pedal and hear the throttle blade open. When I turn the key on the fuel pump also primes. All the fuses look good.

You say it ran fine before, so.....disconnect the wire you attached to the A/C relay, trickle charge your battery overnight and see if it solves the problem.

Check all your ground cables, make sure they are clean and tight.

Also, put a voltmeter on your battery when the engine is running and tell us what the voltage is.

If you have a drain on the battery, you can check that (with the engine off) by removing the the neg. batt. terminal and hook up a voltmeter (set to amps or milliamps) and connect it in series with the neg. batt. term. and the neg. batt. cable and see what she reads.

DEWFPO

You say it ran fine before, so.....disconnect the wire you attached to the A/C relay, trickle charge your battery overnight and see if it solves the problem.

Also, put a voltmeter on your battery when the engine is running and tell us what the voltage is.

If you have a drain on the battery, you can check that by removing the the neg. batt. terminal and hook up a voltmeter (set to amps or milliamps) and connect it in series with the neg. batt. term. and the neg. batt. cable and see what she reads.

DEWFPO

I already charged the battery to 100% and removed the wire and nothing only the relay click. I once again tried to start the truck with the lights on and held it for a second, I noticed the lights were EXTREMELY dim. What is an acceptable reading on the voltmeter and how much are the lights supposed to dim? I was gone for 11 days and the truck was never moved/started and it started right up and drove it to work no problems so I doubt there is a drain (this was yesterday.)

If you have a drain on the battery, you can check that by removing the the neg. batt. terminal and hook up a voltmeter (set to amps or milliamps) and connect it in series with the neg. batt. term. and the neg. batt. cable and see what she reads.

DEWFPO

I already charged the battery to 100% and removed the wire and nothing only the relay click. I once again tried to start the truck with the lights on and held it for a second, I noticed the lights were EXTREMELY dim. What is an acceptable reading on the voltmeter and how much are the lights supposed to dim? I was gone for 11 days and the truck was never moved/started and it started right up and drove it to work no problems so I doubt there is a drain (this was yesterday.)

you can not use a volt meter. you need a battery tester. the volt metter will read 12v but it will not have the current to turn the engine. a battery test will put load on the battery and show you if it is good or not. they can be bought just about anywhere for $40

Same thing happened to me. It was driving me crazy. My neighbor tried giving me a jump. Sat there for near an hour trying to charge the battery (I was pretty convinced it should have been fully charged and didn't need this.). AAA even came and couldn't figure it out. So I stared under the hood for a good 20 minutes mad & disappointed....wiggled the cable at the battery terminals and sure as sh--, it turned on.

my terminals are tight i can't wiggle them at all. when I let the truck sit there in the accessory position i have the check engine light on along with the battery light. I thought this is normal but I am beginning to think it might be the culprit.

One thing I just remembered was that I pulled the fuse that said 4WS and turned the ignition on. I wouldn't think that would be enough to mess anything up. My truck does not have 4WS and there is a fuse in there? Man I hate chasing electrical problems.

why dont u just completely disengage the fan from the truck and see if it starts? undo all the electric wires that came with the fan, and then see what happens. if it starts, then the fan hookup is causing something. I know my dads dodge truck had a command start installed, and now the engine and battery light is on when he is in accessory mode as well. and i am pretty sure it is because the installer tapped into the ignition wires etc and there might be a ground somewhere where there shouldnt be. unplug the fan completely and try again.

I already completely disconnected the fan and still is until I get this sorted out. I will pull the battery and have it tested tonight and come back with details. So is the general consensus that it might be the battery?

Is the battery and Check Engine Lights normally on when the key is in the Acc postion? All the other lights shut off i.e. air bag, security, ect.

Thanks,

Chas

UPDATE: I came home from work yesterday and tried to start the truck and she started right up. I drove it around and shut it off and started it a handful more times. I then went to look at some pointer pups down a bumpy back road, we went to leave so I went to start the truck and dead in the water. Same thing as the first time. I was able to jump the prongs on the solenoid but the gear never engaged the flywheel all it did was turn the gear. I just get the same starter relay click if I try to start it with the key. We tried a jumper box, wiggling all the start wires, just about anything I could think of and nothing would kick it over. I bought a new

I have narrowed it down to a short or starter i think.

Which is more likely my problem?

1) Bad Ground

2) Bad Starter

3) Wire short

4) Bad Relay

Thanks,

Chas

Ok so just went out to push the truck into the garage and it turned over using the key but started clicking from low battery. I am starting to think this might be heat related....

EDIT: This truck has to be possessed or something. I let it charge went out to try it and it started. I drove it around shutting it off and starting it and could not get it to mimic the problem. Could this be security based off my key?

So I think its fixed.

What I did:

1st I removed the start and had it tested (it passed all tests)

2nd Started to clean up terminals and noticed the end piece of the solenoid was cracked then broke once I started cleaning up the ground terminal. (had to buy new starter)

3rd replaced the wire running from the battery to the starter (previous owner cob jobbed a terminal on the end of the original wire)

So from what I know it was either a bad starter or the wire. Unfortunately I was not able to verify which one.

Archived