Gm Vehicle W/ Rearview Mirror, Compass/temp & Reading/map Lights

Mattt

Question

I like the compass & outside temp in my rearview mirror so much that I'd like to pick a mirror up like this for another vehicle I have. The only thing is I really need accessory, map lights on the bottom since the vehicle it's going in has no interior lights...it's a classic car.

Is there a GM vehicle that has all 3 functions?

Maybe even non-GM application, but I've really only seen the mirror mounted compass & temp in GMs.

I've seen them on Ebay for ~$300 but that is more than it's worth to me. Since I occasionally browse the local Pick N Pulls I was hoping to find one there. Thanks in advance.

0 answers to this question

Any other vehicles to find a 3 function mirror in that have a windshield mount like the trucks?

my 02 Denali xl has this feature so does the wifes 06 equinox...

Denali and Equinox both have Compass, Outside Temp, & MAP Lights? I would think the Denali would be the same as a 'burban with no MAP lights underneath the mirror???

Sorry, I don't know what 4th gen F-bodies are.

I've looked in a few Camaro verts and only seen MAP lights, but no Compass or Outside Temp. I'll have to look at a few more Camaros.

Sorry, 4th gen f-bodies are Camaros and Firebirds thats 94-2002. My guess would be that perhaps that 98+ models could have all three things in them.

I have looked in a few late 90's 6 cyl. T top Camaros. They all have map lights on the bottom of the mirror, but I have yet to see one with compass/temp also. I'll keep looking....it's just easier when I know which vehicle to look in.

I also something promising in a Cadillac....but it also had an OnStar button on the mirror.....so I left it because I didn't know if the additional features were going to complicate the wiring and functionality.

I have seen the ones listed on Fleabay.....thank you for the link. $300 is a bit more than I want to spend for this project. I have a compass/temp mirror out of a late 90's Suburban that I scored at the PickYourPart for $7.....if only it had map lights on the bottom.....the search continues.

I have a thought..

all the onstar mirrors are the same shape I believe.. so I would think it would be easy to get a compass mirror and a map light mirror and combine them to make what you want..

damn, you know what, I'm might just try it, because I've been wanting both options in my mirror as well..

I have a thought..

all the onstar mirrors are the same shape I believe.. so I would think it would be easy to get a compass mirror and a map light mirror and combine them to make what you want..

damn, you know what, I'm might just try it, because I've been wanting both options in my mirror as well..

That's an interesting idea......if you try it and it works would you post up here. Thanks.

I have a thought..

That's an interesting idea......if you try it and it works would you post up here. Thanks.

will do..

if this is going in a classic car, your only option would be an aftermarket kit. because you would need a temperature sensor to mount somewhere outside the vehicle.

the ones in the link already provided in this thread will be what you need for it to work.

P.S. not all of the OnStar mirrors are the same! i own a 2010 camaro and 2011 SRX in addition to my 2010 silverado, and all 3 have a different shaped mirror! and the only way to have OnStar functional is if you buy their new FMV kit... and the mirror in that does not have temp/comp

There are other options besides the aftermarket, Fleabay route.....just as easily as you can find the mirror in a pick your part, you can also find the temp sensor. I already have 1 for the late 90's mirror I have. One thing I have noticed is it appears that the temp sensor changed over the years. The late 90's one I have is different looking from one on an '01 Suburban that I looked at. The mirrors look the same inside, but I have yet to compare Gentex part #'s on the mirrors.

I don't really care about the OnStar button or service on the mirror.....what I was saying is if it's not functional, I don't want that to prevent the mirror compass/temp and lights from working.

I actually had some other ideas for other switches, like the Onstar switch....but I need to see if that switch is a momentary switch or a straight on/off switch.

Any other vehicles to find a 3 function mirror in that have a windshield mount like the trucks?

my 02 Denali xl has this feature so does the wifes 06 equinox...

Denali and Equinox both have Compass, Outside Temp, & MAP Lights? I would think the Denali would be the same as a 'burban with no MAP lights underneath the mirror???

Sorry, I don't know what 4th gen F-bodies are.

I've looked in a few Camaro verts and only seen MAP lights, but no Compass or Outside Temp. I'll have to look at a few more Camaros.

I just looked on Fleabay.....the Corvette mount is wrong for my application. I need a std. windshield glass mount style mirror. In addition, the name "Corvette" carries a premium for anything listed in fleabay. I'm looking local and at the junkyard. Hopefully there is another vehicle with all 3 functions......

Archived