This is not a debate for or against XM Sirius subscriptions.

I live in the boonies where there is only one or two radio stations that come in and even those fade out.

I purchased a used Delphi Roady XT with Delphi boombox for residential use. Used.

So then I go searching for subscription. And there is the $77.00 promotion rate out there. That can be done if one tries hard enough.

I wanted something shorter in time. And I read $20.00 for 5 months or 6 months. $25.00. All sorts of amounts.

Today, called twice. No promotions for used home receivers. At least that is what I was told.

I was offered a new free home receiver and all I had to pay was shipping but that came with 3 months and by the time all of the charges were added up it came to around $51.00 for 3 months.

So I was about to give up. But I kept going from transfer call to transfer call. I got the used Roady XT activated for one month for supposedly $8.00. And I was kind of advised to wait until the one month expired and then ask for any discounts. Supposedly the $77.00 annual rate.

I did use a credit card. I did ask for no automatic renewal.

Having read much about all it is advised to not use credit card for any XM/Sirius but use a paper invoice/bill. So that there never is any "automatic" renewal.

Just thought I would pass this on.

Call back before the month is up to cancel. Whatever they offer you tell them you want to cancel. If they ask you why, tell them it's just too expensive. They will eventually offer you 6 months for $30 (that's the latest promotion). If they don't offer it to you, be prepared to go ahead and cancel if that's what it takes. If it goes that far and you do cancel they will be calling you constantly to come back and eventually offer you a good deal. I've done this several times and I've never payed more than $5 a month each for my two radios.

I've also done this before and they've offered me a month for free to think about it which I took. At the end of that month I called back to go ahead and cancel and they offered me the 6 months for $30 deal.

The main thing is you have to be prepared to cancel.

Call back before the month is up to cancel. Whatever they offer you tell them you want to cancel. If they ask you why, tell them it's just too expensive. They will eventually offer you 6 months for $30 (that's the latest promotion). If they don't offer it to you, be prepared to go ahead and cancel if that's what it takes. If it goes that far and you do cancel they will be calling you constantly to come back and eventually offer you a good deal. I've done this several times and I've never payed more than $5 a month each for my two radios.

I've also done this before and they've offered me a month for free to think about it which I took. At the end of that month I called back to go ahead and cancel and they offered me the 6 months for $30 deal.

The main thing is you have to be prepared to cancel.

Thanks for responding. This information helps me and probably many others.

And if there is no credit card they will continue to give you about a month's worth of service and shut it off. You'll then get a bill for the amount of time they had you connected. If you don't pay that bill in 2-3 weeks then they turn you over to a collection agency. That's exactly what they did to me on my previous truck.

They will auto renew anyway. It doesn't matter if you tell the person no, it'll still happen.

Archived