Advent Ogm-1 New Firmware Released

A new firmware has been released on Advent's website. This a maintenance-only update that addresses the following points (here's the official Advent list):

• Enhance Radio reception and sound quality
  • Added support for iPod Nano4 and Older Classic models for Autoplay – iPod music must first be activated on the Audio System screen when first connected but will Autoplay on further start ups as long as the device remains attached to the Audio system and was not manually stopped or shut off.
  • Removed auto camera sensing feature, now requires trigger or CAN connection. Eliminates delay for turn off if connected to an OEM Camera. Note: OEM camera resolution can be low depending on the camera the vehicle is equipped with. If the OEM camera picture quality is poor this cannot be corrected and is not an issue with the Advent Radio.
  • Addressed complaints in some vehicle where first words from OnStar were not heard – Corrected.
  • Enhanced OEM XM tuner response time and Preset station retention

I got a slightly more detailed explanation from the engineers via email:

• Improved AM/FM reception sensitivity / selectivity and sound quality
  • Added support for iPod Nano4 and Older Classic models for Autoplay when connected - On first connection you must start music. Will Autoplay after this for example when installed and left in the console or glove box.
  • Removed Camera signal auto sensing from GM and VW platforms - Must be plugged into the vehicle to see CAN connection, this will disable to Auto Sensing circuit. Non CAN models to be addressed at a later date.
  • Addressed issue where OnStar first words were sometimes not heard
  • Address issue where some OGM1 customers complained that XM would not always come up quickly enough
  • Some customers with XM installed (CNP200UCA) had issues with Preset stations holding in 2nd and 3rd band of presets - corrected.

For me, there are a couple big deals here:

iPod autoplay: (I have an old 160G Classic, and was very vocal about this issue, so Ray at Advent did some research and fixed it - thanks, Ray :lol: )

Rear Camera: Regarding the notes from Advent about the resolution of the factory camera: they contend that, depending on the vehicle, some factory cameras can have extremely poor resolution when ported to the OGM-1 because they're only designed to output to the factory mirror, which has a 3" screen and much lower resolution, instead of the larger Advent screen with it's MUCH higher resolution capabilities. Kind of like blowing a postage stamp up to letter size - tends to look like crap. Having said that, we haven't had many complaints about it, but very obviously our cameras work better than the factory ones do in that regard.

I've been telling people that the next firmware will contain the ability to turn on rear camera while driving, and was assured this was underway. Well, we got half of the solution on this release - they removed the auto-sensing feature that turned on the camera input on the deck when the camera turned on in favor of listening to the LAN for reverse signal (which is a good thing), but they did not give us a dedicated button yet :dunno: . I've been told that it's still coming, and that we'll have a good idea of when after the engineers get back from their latest trip to the factory in two weeks.

On previous versions of OGM-1 firmware, we've always been able to get our cameras to turn on while driving by using a SPDT toggle switch, sending reverse triggered 12v to one pole, ACC 12v to the other, with the center pole out to camera power lead, but now it should be easier to do.

This method should work with the new firmware version: I've been told that the reverse trigger input (Green/White REVERSE + lead in Advent harness) will still be live and will turn on the camera input whenever it sees 12v. I've not yet tested this, but we should be able to get the camera on while driving feature now by simply toggling 12v to that reverse signal lead on the deck. So, standard operation will be that the camera will trigger as normal in reverse (triggered via the LAN), but when you want to see your camera while driving, wire the camera to ACC 12v, then toggle ACC 12v to the reverse input (for almost all NBS trucks, you can get this from pin 8 at X14 on left I/P Junction Block) and you should have camera view. If anyone tries this, please post your experience to see if it works as outlined.

AM/FM/XM: What's really cool about this forum is that the engineers really do listen to the owners here. Some of these fixes are DIRECT RESULT of posts in this forum and calls to me directly. I can't tell you what a breath of fresh air it is to work with a manufacturer that actually listens to us and fixes issues based on our feedback. In 35 years of my career in car audio, I've NEVER had this kind of experience. THANK YOU, ADVENT!

So, it looks like this will definitely be a worthwhile firmware download, and again, I think everyone will be interested in hearing feedback on what is good/bad with this version. I'll keep my fingers crossed that we get our camera button in the next update.

Thanks,

Walt

www.adcmobile.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

do you know if the XM presets are controlled by the steering wheel controls yet? i haven't updated yet, but it just seems odd that it controls AM/FM presets, and for XM it just does channel up/down. i would like the steering wheel controls to toggle the XM presets instead; like it is on a factory unit

THANKS FOR THE UPDATE!

do you know if the XM presets are controlled by the steering wheel controls yet? i haven't updated yet, but it just seems odd that it controls AM/FM presets, and for XM it just does channel up/down. i would like the steering wheel controls to toggle the XM presets instead; like it is on a factory unit

I loaded it last night and as far as I can tell the XM are still not controlled by the SW controls. Nor is the A2DP. Hopefully both will be in the next release. I set a bunch of FM presents last night since they all got wiped out but were all gone this morning. Hopefully it was just a one time glitch

Walt, thanks for the list. I will have to check them out. I too am running an Ipod classic so I am glad they fixed the autoplay thing.

Ernie

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post a note as a new member to this forum. I purchased the OGM1 from ADC Mobile about a month ago for a 2011 Silverado. Great receiver with a few bugs though. I have installed the latest firmware update and it did seem to improve some issues but in my case it seemed to make the FM and AM reception slightly worse. The biggest issue I have had is with the distortion on XM when listening to voice only broadcasts ie news, sports, etc. The distortion was very irritating that obviously was from the internal amp being overdriven. This distortion was not present on any other source. It was obvious that the solution was to reduce the analog drive from the factory XM module. I installed Harrison Labs 6db line level attenuators between each of the RCA inputs. Just like magic the sound quality is now great. No more distortion at all! Amazon.com has these in stock. Just a note, DO NOT USE THE CHEAPER ATTENUATORS available online! These are poorly designed and will change the impedance of the inputs and frequency balance. They can also introduce noise. Spend the extra dollars and purchase the Harrisons. They are well designed and are shielded. Also a suggestion is to have a button on the screen on both the radio tuner and XM that would allow you to choose either scan of the presets or manual tuning. This would be useful when using the steering wheel controls for channel up and down. Personally I prefer tuning up and down and not the presets. But there are times when it would be useful to choose between the two methods. Overall this is an excellent unit that wins over other aftermarket radios hands down. I like the fact that it looks factory. Would love to have a module available to plug into this radio to allow HD radio reception though.

Any way to turn OFF the AutoPlay when I plug in my iPhone to the OGM-1? I actually find it kind of annoying that it auto plays...the only time I plug in my cable is to charge it.

Don't think so - it works this way on almost all the decks we sell as well - I guess they figure that when you plug it in, you want to listen to it... :- )

hello, I know this is my first post I have a 2011 Silverado about to install what looks to be the same radio, but it is Jensen has the same MPH and background through the menus. I had a question how did you retain the factory mic? Where is the plug for that at? I will try and take pics so if anyone needs help later on. Good wright up and awesome pictures, looks clean and good.

If i have the usb plug in the console, does it connect to the unit?

Take a look at this post where there's some photos and discussion of how to treat the factory USB jack.

Is there any news if there will be anymore firmware updates anytime soon?

Talked to engineers yesterday and the rep today, but there's no firm timetable yet. So far they've released them every 2-3 months (updates so far: April-May-July-October), but as the bugs get squashed and features start to get filled in, my guess is they'll come a little slower. Having said that, we have a few feature requests in the queue that I hope we'll see sooner than later.

I'll see if I can get anything more definitive and post what I know...

Archived