F-150 Growing On Me

music

I've been thinking for a while now on what the best family hauling / towing / truck combo would be for us going forward. I completely discounted Ford out of the equation, based on past experience, but have looked at Dodge and Toyota. I recently decided to look at what their new trucks offer, and am not happy with what I see. They appear to have met, or exceeded, every "want" on my list of features. The crew cab size is about right for a family, and they have full safety features at all six seating positions. Both the 5.0 and the Ecoboost would make good tow motors, and the frame is on par with GM (or vice versa). The style leaves something to be desired though. Everything on the truck has an angled or box look, and they seem to love chrome (both of which I don't care for). Their choice of materials and colors aren't bad, but the overall "look" is "like a box".

Who here has come from a Ford or considered them, and why are you with GM now? I love my Sierra, and can't imagine jumping to a Ford... but I'm trying to be practical, and GM trucks currently come up short with even simple things like a head restraint for all passengers. Open to discussion...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ford and GM both offer solid, nice products truck wise. It all comes down to personal preference. Go drive one of each with all of the features and options you want :thumbs: My dads new 2011 5.0 King Ranch 4x4 is effin sweet. I just can't afford it and I love my GM

i personally feel the GMT900 is a little bit oudated compared to the ford and dodge at this point.. but that will all change in 2014.

i feel that it is all prefrence over ford or GM, and chrysler just dosent make quality products in my own opinion.

and the current f150/f250's are very ugly

Something else to consider is the dealership. Personally my local Ford dealer has made many people unhappy and switch dealers or purchase other brands while the GMC dealer has been attracting new people by being very good to its customers. A big reason for me when I think of purchasing a vehicle is the dealership. I know that I can call my dealer and get an appointment the next day to look at my truck or get my oil changed while other dealers in the area make you wait a week or two to get in the shop.

I'm not saying by any means that all Ford dealers are like this, just an experience in my area.

I have always owned GM Trucks ALWAYS!! I just bought my first Ford last night, I didn't want to buy "new" and after extensive research and driving a few brands/models I decided on a 08 F-150 Crew Cab FX4. The interior room and ride were far superior to other makes, the 5.4 seems to make comparable power to 5.3. I hope I do not regret leaving GM but looks good so far

I have always owned GM Trucks ALWAYS!! I just bought my first Ford last night, I didn't want to buy "new" and after extensive research and driving a few brands/models I decided on a 08 F-150 Crew Cab FX4. The interior room and ride were far superior to other makes, the 5.4 seems to make comparable power to 5.3. I hope I do not regret leaving GM but looks good so far

Good luck with it.

i was placed in a 2011 5.0 while my 2011 sierra 4.8 was being fixed (old lady backed into me). for the 4 days i had the CC f-150 i was very impressed. the ride was smoother than when my 4.8 was stock. the power delivery and overall power was smoother and definately felt on par with a 09 2500hd with the 6.0. if not it felt like it had more. liter for liter GM trucks are in trouble as far as power goes... fuel mileage got 18+ and i didnt have to baby the throttle to get that either. i was quite impressed

would i own one.... probably not, because its a ford and it seems to me that fords are priced higher than GM's

Just not a fan. Yeah, that photo looks nice, but when you see the front grill, then the rear tail gate and tail lights... It's just ugly to me :dunno:

The FX4 w/ the black front grill isn't too bad, but the "huge chrome" grills look awful to me. Can't do much about those tail-lights, except maybe paint the "silver surround" (?). Don't get me wrong, the GM trucks look best to me, and have for a very long time, but Ford has stepped up their interiors. I don't really mean "style of interior" or how it looks, but the function (especially safety) and materials. Style wise, the GM interior looks best... but they need improve both safety and function to meet what Ford is offering (I'll leave Toyota out of it). I'm surprised at myself for writing much of anything positive about the F150, given that I've never found them appealing. I'm trying to be unbiased, and look at function over style. I guess that's harder to do than say.

I have always driven a Chevrolet since I started driving 31 years ago and I have nothing against Ford or Dodge but I just cant bring myself to own one and even if I did I would feal like I was cheating on my wife (wife being GM) Some of our friends work at our local dealership so that doesnt help eather and yes I think the F-150 is ugly as hell, F-250 dont even ask as I think the people that designed it should be fired.

The chrome crap was one of the biggest reasons I ended up in a Chevy and not a Ford. You can get an F150 with the FX4 trim that does a black/body color front and even adds black in place of the weird chrome in the taillights but it also forces a floor console and shifter, which I didn't want. The interior is very modern/industrial and I liked some of it but I do think some designer tried to hard to give the truck a "tool" feel.

Archived