F-150 Test Drive

music

This is a companion thread to this one: http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=139772 -> F150 Growing On Me

I decided to test drive a new F150 today. The model was a XLT Supercrew, with a Ecoboost/3.55/6-spd combo. In short, I could see this being a good all-around family hauling / trailer towing rig... but I'd be *very* hard pressed to give up my Sierra for one, and would regret it every day, *except* when towing w/ the family on board. Considering that we only do that a few times per year, I'll probably be keeping my truck for a long time. Note: This is just a few thoughts while it's on my mind, and is still too much. It's not possible to be complete and brief, so I'll be short.

The Good:

The amount of room in the Supercrew is impressive. There's more room than it appears from the outside, for sure. I'm 5-10, and with the front seat adjusted comfortably, there's almost a foot between my knees and the rear of the front seat when sitting behind it. The cabin doesn't look that much bigger, so I couldn't really tell where all the space came from. Total guess, but I think that all the seats are thinner (front and rear), and the dash is flatter. The cloth material looked pretty good, and the electric-assist steering felt fine (similar to mine, but not quite as good). Honestly, that's most of the "good" that comes to mind.

The Bad:

I felt like I was driving a computerized box. The shift lever on the column feels like a plastic stick, with almost no positive feedback for position. Maybe I'm spoiled on my GMC, which has a *solid* shift (steel/mechanical detents). Shifting the lever on the F150, I had to purposely focus on where it was going, and even then, I missed sometimes (twice, it didn't light up any position... just hung between somewhere... but I didn't "feel" it). That one part reflects on many aspects of the driving experience. The turn signals don't latch up/down, they're just momentary switches. The blinker "sound" is annoyingly loud, as if it's coming through the speakers. I almost felt like I was driving through an ipod interface. Hard to explain, but it all felt cheaper to me. Please GM... DON'T COPY THIS!! Please keep mechanical switches and a simple/clean driver interface.

The Rest:

The Ecoboost pulls well at the mid/higher rpms, but not so much right off idle. My 5.3/4-spd/3.73 is completely stock, and feels better at light throttle. I don't usually drive at WOT, and didn't much on the test drive either. I can't explain this, except that the partial throttle torque curves probably look nothing like the WOT versions. Torque curves we see online for all motors are at WOT, and don't apply 99% of the time. The 6-spd transmission mostly shifted smooth, but I did notice a few stutters. The turbos spun up smooth and relatively quiet (I could hear them, but a lot quieter than a supercharger), but there was some stuttering/spitting when I first pulled out and the motor was cold (?). It cleared up after that. Oh yea, in case you haven't heard one, it sounded like our V6 Sienna with a turbo.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the eco boost is growing in popularity around here...5 out 10 new f150s are eco boosts from my personal observations on a daily basis but its way too early to see if they will stick around, long term durability will be the deciding point..

Nice review. So in the end, it doesn't seem like you were to impressed. :thumbs:

That's a fair summary. Maybe it just comes down to preferences, and my opinion may change after it settles in for a while (?).

It's hard to describe the differences between them, since they feel so different. I really like the Ecoboost idea, and think that I could squeeze some good mpg out of it for my daily commute. On the test drive, I did a quick test, and the "instant results" looked a hair better than my 5.3 (not much). When you get into the throttle, it downshifts almost unnoticably and the turbos come up to speed and you are 20 mph faster before you know it. At no point, however, does it throw you into the seat, so I guess there's a little lag there. It comes on in a controlled/smooth/quiet way, almost like it didn't happen. I said I felt like I was driving through an ipod interface before, but maybe XBox is more accurate. I somehow felt disconnected from the truck (?). I guess you get used to it after a while, maybe even preferring it eventually (?).

The 5.0 I test drove didn't seem as snappy as the 5.3 does, but it did break the tires loose in 2nd gear. I could feel Ford's version of Torque Management kick in when I got on the gas, it seems somewhat worse than GM's is. Then the engine compartment is sorta tight, and their engines are always more complicated with more parts, and weird designs. I think their a nice truck, but I wouldn't buy one It's just not my cup of tea.

Then the engine compartment is sorta tight, and their engine designs are always more complicated with more parts, and weird designs.

Now that you mention it, the engine bay was cramped on the EB too. That's probably where some of the cab space came from, plus the 3" missing from the bed (it looked to be 5'-6", vs the GM 5'-9". The Tundra uses a "cab forward" design too, and their Crewmax has a 5.5' bed (making for a huge interior).

Edit: worth noting that Ford offers GVWR packages up to 8200 lbs, and a 36-gal fuel tank. I don't really understand the combos available, but those are nice options for someone who tows a camper.

I have great difficulty embracing the eco-boost concept, as I am old skool and subscribe to the adage that there is no replacement for displacement. And yes, Fords do have a "disconnected" feeling that's hard for me to get past (daughter has a Mustang).

I'm confused by your statement "Torque curves we see online for all motors are at WOT" . The dyno charts that I've seen show horsepower and torque for "all" rpm's. What ?

You'll hit all rpms in one gear, whether it be at WOT or partial throttle, so long as you're accelerating the crankshaft. Partial throttle acceleration produces less torque/hp, and doesn't pull as hard or accelerate as quickly... basically, it's feeding fuel/air at a lower rate (higher vacuum). I don't know much about the F150 turbo system (nothing, actually), but it felt like a light throttle didn't engage them very much... similar to other turbos I've driven in the past. Maybe I just didn't feel it, but I doubt it. I suspect that it runs in close to "naturally aspirated" V6 mode when power isn't needed, and spins up the turbos as throttle position increases beyond some point.

• 2 months later...

The 5.0 I test drove didn't seem as snappy as the 5.3 does, but it did break the tires loose in 2nd gear. I could feel Ford's version of Torque Management kick in when I got on the gas, it seems somewhat worse than GM's is. Then the engine compartment is sorta tight, and their engines are always more complicated with more parts, and weird designs. I think their a nice truck, but I wouldn't buy one It's just not my cup of tea.

I am not bashing Ford, they make a nice truck. But that was always my issue as well. The engines were always buried under plastic tubing/wires & what not that you could rarely see it. Would hate to be a Ford tech having to take all the stuff off just to get to the problem. Was always amazed on the super duty as big as they are, they are the same way.

I am not bashing Ford, they make a nice truck. But that was always my issue as well. The engines were always buried under plastic tubing/wires & what not that you could rarely see it. Would hate to be a Ford tech having to take all the stuff off just to get to the problem. Was always amazed on the super duty as big as they are, they are the same way.

I have great difficulty embracing the eco-boost concept, as I am old skool and subscribe to the adage that there is no replacement for displacement. And yes, Fords do have a "disconnected" feeling that's hard for me to get past (daughter has a Mustang).

Most newer trucks to me I feel discontected . I drive a manual and the autos just feel like nonthing. I have not driven a newer GM truck yet only dodge and ford and they both felt like I was watching tv. and playing a game .

Archived