Cool iGo Primo tricks on the OGM1: Trip Monitor logs

Don't know if any Advent OGM1 users are using the Trip Monitor function built into iGo Primo, but if you haven't, you should start - it's pretty damn cool, and gives you a ton of information on your trips (if you are fairly religious about entering your fuel and mileage data, that is):

IMAG1530.JPG

IMAG1535.JPG

IMAG1539.JPG

IMAG1544.JPG

Also, you have the ability to read the files that are generated by your saved trips and export them for use in Google Maps or Google Earth, etc. The logs are very detailed (something like 3100 points for a 35 mile round trip) and allow you to use the data whatever way you choose.

Here's how to do it:

• Start saving your trips by going to Settings - Trip Monitor, then check "Enable Auto-Saving" and "Save Track Log"
  • After you've saved a trip or two, remove your SD card, then take it to your computer and browse to the "save\TRACKS" directory, where you'll see the "track001.trk", "track002.trk" etc. files
  • Go to www.gpsvisualizer.com and in the little green box n the middle of the page that says "Get Started Now", browse to one of your ".trk" files on the SD card and choose which format you want to output the result to:
    gpsvisualizer.JPG
  • You will then be able to view and save the trip in Google Maps or Google Earth format, as a PNG or JPG graphic file or a GPX file to import into any other navi like a Garmin or TomTom. (Note that there is no altitude data saved in the trip file)
  • You can then open the output file or graphic and use it how you see fit or email it to anyone to be able to open:

GOOGLE EARTH FORMAT:

lisa-vegas.JPG

GOOGLE MAPS FORMAT:

lisa-vegas2.JPG

If anyone has any other cool uses for the trip data, I'd love to hear about it!

Edit:

Here's another neat way to visualize your data using the same website:

• On the GPS Visualizer homepage, choose the links for the detailed input pages and get stuff like this (using the same file as above):

PROFILES: SPEED-DISTANCE

time-distance.JPG

(This would be a great way to keep tabs on your kids if you loan them the truck!)

GOOGLE MAPS: TOPO

googletopo.JPG

STANDARD TOPO:

topo.JPG

that gives a good reason to have navigation auto start, but not display, on start up. Using the auto switch to navigation is annoying, and any kid worth his salt will know how to disable the feature that is stopping him from watching dvd's while driving. Having navigation start and run automatically in the background (they could simply use a delay start function to let all other parts load first) would make your suggestion regarding monitoring your kids viable.

that gives a good reason to have navigation auto start, but not display, on start up. Using the auto switch to navigation is annoying, and any kid worth his salt will know how to disable the feature that is stopping him from watching dvd's while driving. Having navigation start and run automatically in the background (they could simply use a delay start function to let all other parts load first) would make your suggestion regarding monitoring your kids viable.

You can always run the "Auto switch to GPS" setting.

I'm still working on the auto run in the background and have it be stable (I'm not giving up... :- )

Just tried this, I have two saved trips, both give me this error.. No valid GPS data detected. Looked inside the two files, they are binary files, it appears that site is looking for tab-delimited or CSV plain text data. Is there some setting in IGO that changes the default saved trip format?

• 2 weeks later...

Doug,

All it saves are coordinates in a delimited file. Remember you need to open these ".trk" files in the utility at www.gpsvizualizer.com to convert them to usable data

If you mean I have to enter the path to the .trk file into the box under Get Started Now, then that is what I am trying. It gives me an error saying No valid GPS data detected! Or are you saying there is another app I need to download to convert the file before trying to use the site?

I am taking the files located in the save\TRACKS folder, files have .trk extensions. I have two saved. If I open these files in notepad, they are binary files, not ascii or text files.

The .trk files are binary files, but I just went out and grabbed my card and did what I outlined above and it imported and exported perfectly:

track17.JPG

• 6 months later...

Not Having Any Luck With This Either. The .trk Files Are 0K In Size, And When Opened,They Are Blank. Am I Doing Something Wrong?

I'm leaving on a weeklong trip - I'll see if I can get the card out of my truck when I get back and post the contents of a couple .trk files...

Archived