Fully functioning DIC???

I ordered a 2500 HD D/A without the redundant radio controls. I did not know @ that time the redundant radio controls were required to access all DIC functions. Has anyone researched this issue and come up with the required factory equipment/programming required? All the information I currently have is that the steering wheel would have to be replaced for the buttons.    ???

.... All the information I currently have is that the steering wheel would have to be replaced for the buttons.    ???

JP CUSTOMS was working on doing this, and a private note to me indicated a kit would be available in February.

I also want one of these in a major way.  If all it is is a new steering wheel and harness, and a flashing by the dealer, I'd do it, but  I don't think anyone here, or any other list, knows.

I have been "fighting" with GM and the dealer for the information since I took delivery in December. I tend to believe the steering wheel and possibly a re-programming the only two issues...however I cannot verify this!

I'm going to do this as soon as a kit is available as well.  I ordered my truck and took delivery in December and was very pissed to find out that the DIC is controlled almost completely through the steering wheel.  The truck builder program on chevy.com indicated that they were redundant audio controls only.

Anyway, there are a couple companies out there that offer replacement steering wheels (using gm cores) that would get you the buttons..then you'd just have to add a small wiring harness and possibly get the dealership to reprogram your BCM (I think).  Not exactly cheap, but would get you what you need.  Do a search for chevy steering wheel replacement I think.

Lemme know if you find anything,

Brett

I did run accross one site that had the steering wheels for sale....I'll have to post it tommorrow....it's on my admin PC for the network @ work. They had a large selection of the steering wheels for all makes and models.....although....quite expensive.....over $500.00...if I remember correctly.

This is where I found steering wheels that have the factory buttons.

Amazing choices.  Ok, that means this part of the equation is answered.  Now, if only we can find out if the harness is the only other hardware needed, and if flashing the 'puter is needed.

I contacted a "good friend" that works behind a GM parts counter to she if she could put together a parts list for us. She will call me once she has the time to research it. Hopefully she'll have some good news.

This is a really cool idea.  Tempted to do it to my truck.

Actually, I would love to just see the schematic for accessing this thing.  I'd be happy making my own auxilary switching box.

Let me see what I can do, I have my GM Service book; but it's at home and I'm not.  If I can get to it, I'll try and scan the relevant pages in.  Sound good?

With regards to this:

JP CUSTOMS was working on doing this, and a private note to me indicated a kit would be available in February
 Which year?  Assuming 2k4.

<font color='#000000'>

Let me see what I can do, I have my GM Service book; but it's at home and I'm not.  If I can get to it, I'll try and scan the relevant pages in.  Sound good?

That'd be great if you were able to scan that.  

Regarding JP Customs' release date of February.  That was for 2003, not 2004.</font>

OK, I'll get it to it ... can't do it for a couple days for sure (I'm at college, books are at home).

I was going to scan the wiring diagrams .... is there anything you'd like for this??

I'm really interested in doing this to my truck at some point, looks like a cool mod.

Archived