Truck Cap Removal/Storage

caddelma

I am looking for ideas on a way to remove my fiberglass cap and to store it overhead in my garage.  I would prefer to make it so I could do it myself, but it is not mandatory.  My garage is about 9-10 feet tall (there are bedrooms above).  I want something simple, cheap and of course safe enough to hold the cap when not needed.  I figure the fiberglass cap weighs between 200 and 300 pounds.  Right now it is sitting in my wife's spot in the garage.  She wants to keep it off, but I said she would have to park outside. :D If anyone has any ideas or pictures I would appreciate it.

If you have the romm to do this, you could hang a pully from a rafter.  Put some 2x4's under the cap with eye bolts screwed into the ends.  You may want to make some kind of removeable braces that would go between the ends of the two boards, so they can't move too close together.  Then run 4 ropes from a link, down to each eye bolt.  From the link, run a single rope up through the pully, then down to where you can pull it off the truck.  Tie it off to a cleat on the wall.  

All yo would need to do to lift it is loosen the hardware that holds the cap to the bed, lift it high enough to place the 2x4's under it,  install the braces between the ends of the 2x4's, then pull it up.  You might need someone just to guide it so it doesn't hit the cab of your truck.

If you have the romm to do this, you could hang a pully from a rafter.  Put some 2x4's under the cap with eye bolts screwed into the ends.  You may want to make some kind of removeable braces that would go between the ends of the two boards, so they can't move too close together.  Then run 4 ropes from a link, down to each eye bolt.  From the link, run a single rope up through the pully, then down to where you can pull it off the truck.  Tie it off to a cleat on the wall.  

All yo would need to do to lift it is loosen the hardware that holds the cap to the bed, lift it high enough to place the 2x4's under it,  install the braces between the ends of the 2x4's, then pull it up.  You might need someone just to guide it so it doesn't hit the cab of your truck.

Sounds similar to what a co-worker did with his.  But he didn't have any cross braces between the 2x4's and he complained that they sometimes moved inward (toward each other) on him.  He also used a rachet-n-pawl with a handle (like on a boat trailer) to lift.  I am thinking of something similar.  To add a little safety I am thinking of having some eyebolts on the ceiling with some chain to hook into the eyebolts on the 2x4's

Between what both of you replied I guess i have nothing else to add...  That seemed like the easiest solution to me.

I was planning on doing this, and making the lifting device as far back in the garage as possible.  That way I could back the truck in the garage at night and the cap would just hang over the bed a foot or so below the rafters.

Archived