I got DIC

My truck was delivered without steering wheel controls and therefore didn't have DIC (Driver Information Center). Through other threads, particularly this one in the Heavy Duty forum.

I didn't want to spend $400 to $500 on a new steering wheel with controls and a new 'coil harness' for the steering column, s0 I decided to fabricate my own switch unit.

As my truck is 2WD, the space for the 4WD controls is filled with a plastic recess that blanks the hole and does absolutely nothing.

This is my DIC !!!!

DIC%20Controls.jpg

DIC%20Display.jpg

What do you think?

Robert

Most excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flag:

Oh, did you have to have your instrument cluster flashed or did it start immediately working with your switches?

Regarding the cluster again... if you had it flashed, did you have to supply a VIN of a full-functioning DIC unit or was the dealer able to just use your truck's VIN?

Guest 007FL

I'll give you twenty five bucks for the switch unit and the instructions to install it.

Going once,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Going twice,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

ok, thirty bucks!!!!!

Seriously, give us the details. We'll all get DIC'd :flag:

I'll write up an instruction and parts list on how I did it.

Cost was about $25.00

The cluster was not flashed, as you will see from the picture, it is an upgraded cluster from a Denali fitted with an Escalade lens and trim.

Robert

OK guys, here it is........

DIY DIC - Do It Yourself Driver Information Center for 2003+ NBS Trucks

How to get your DIC working on GM Truck with no steering wheel controls. This is a cost effective way to achieve this, rather than spend $400 to $450 on a steering wheel # 15188425 and abs coil # 26101829. This may, or may not work for your stock gauge cluster. I had already upgraded my cluster to a Denali unit and it worked. If this mod. Does not work for you, then you will need to find a friendly GM dealer who will have to flash your cluster to enable the options. You may be charged for this.

Anyone undertaking this modification does so at their own risk, these instructions are only a guideline and no responsibility is accepted for omissions or errors.

It is assumed anyone undertaking this modification has an understanding of basic electronics and electrical assembly.

Parts.

1 x Plastic plate, I cut this from an electronics project box, preferably Black.

1 x 2 part epoxy adhesive, I used VersaChem plastic welding system from Advance Auto Parts.

3 x momentary switches (black) Radio Shack #275-644

1 x momentary switches (black) Radio Shack #275-646

1 x Roll of ½” PVC insulation tape.

4 x 3M line tap connects #03777NA

1 x Ring or Forked crimp connector 18 to 20 AWG

5 x 2 feet (approx.) lengths of stranded wire 18 to 20 AWG (5 colors required) ie. Black, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green.

1 x 4” of solid wire or fuse wire 20 AWG

Tools.

Soldering Iron & Solder.

Pliers.

Wire Cutters / Stripper.

Trim removal tool (or screw-driver used with great care)

7mm Socket and extension.

Dremel with cut-off wheel and sanding drum attachments.

Sand paper

Drill and Drills (up to ½”)

Time: 1 ½ to 2 hours.

1. Remove dash bezel (held in with Clips) grip firmly and pull towards you, I find it easier to start at the left of the gauge cluster. (you will need to lower the steering wheel and place the gear selector in 1st gear).

2. Remove 4 screws on cluster (7mm socket required)

3. Remove Harness from back of cluster (be careful when pulling out) and place the cluster in a safe place.

4. On the cluster plug identify the following connections / wires

B7 FUEL ECONOMY - Yellow

B6 RESET – Dark Green / White

B5 TRIP – Dark Blue

B4 OPTIONS – Orange

These are the wires you will be connecting in to. Be careful, there are 3 x Dark Green / White wires. These 4 wires are all together, make sure you get the one in the first row with the Yellow and Dark Blue wires on each side.

5. Use the ‘tapping’ half of the 3M line tap connects and fix the on each of the identified wires about 3” away from the cluster connector where the wires are

not taped up.

6. Remove headlight switch, bed light switch, vent and recessed cover (blanking unit for 4WD controls on 2WD vehicles) as an assembly (held in with clips)

7. Remove blanking unit from assembly, use a small screwdriver to release retainers at top and one side of unit.

9. Modify recessed cover by removing approx. 1” from rear of cover parallel to the front/opening to the cover. Do not remove too much from the depth, the lugs on the top and one side that retain the unit in the assembly in 6 above must not be removed.

10. Using the sand paper on a flat surface, ensure the cut is leveled and is parallel to the front opening.

11. Cut plastic plate roughly oversize of cut opening in recessed cover. Roughen surface where the bond to the recessed cover will be bonded. I roughened

the whole surface to give a dull / brushed surface.

12. Mix 2 part epoxy and apply to cut surface of recessed cover, place flat plastic plate on table, roughened surface up, and place cut and glued surface of

recessed cover and weight with a suitable object until adhesive is cured.

13. Sand excess plastic plate to the profile of recessed cover.

13. The new back plate is about 4” long, 4 x ½” holes will now have to be drilled to accept the switches. I spaced my holes at ½”, 1 ½”, 2 ½”, 3 ½”.

14. Put switches into drilled holes, align the connections on the switches in 2 parallel rows and tighten nuts fully. I placed the red switch at the top of the recesses cover to use as the Reset switch.

15. Solder solid 20 AWG wire across one side of all 4 switches, this will be the common ground side of the switches.

16. Solder one of each length of each colored wire to each of the switches. I used Red for the Options button, Yellow for the Fuel Economy button, Blue for the Trip button and Green for the Reset.

17. Solder the Black wire to the center of the common ground wire, between the 2nd and 3rd buttons.

18. On the end of the black wire crimp the Ring or Forked connector, on the remaining colored wires, crimp the other half of the 3M line tap connects.

19. Dress wires together and use PVC tape to start a harness starting at the rear of the switches. After 2” separate the Black wire and continue to tape the other wires until 2” from the 3M line tap connector.

20. Feed wires through the original mounting position of the recessed cover and clip the cover back into place.

21. Remove fuse panel on left of dash and on front of door jamb you will see 2 bolts/nuts, feed black wire to left and down and fix crimp to vehicle body with one of bolts/nut. Refit fuse cover.

22. Feed wires towards front and around dash to cluster plug position and connect each wire to 3M line tap connects fitted in item 5. Refit headlight switch, bed light switch, vent and modified recessed cover assembly.

23. Mate the 2 halves of the 3M line tap connectors.

B7 FUEL ECONOMY – Yellow to Yellow wire

B6 RESET – Dark Green / White to Green wire

B5 TRIP – Dark Blue to Blue wire

B4 OPTIONS – Orange to Red wire

24. Reassemble cluster and dash.

25. Test – The ignition MUST be on for the DIC to function.

Awesome details. That is why forums are so nice. Here is a stupid question: If I have the 4 wheel drive, thus less space for anything, are you telling me that with these two things: $400 to $450 on a steering wheel # 15188425 and abs coil # 26101829 I can achieve everything you did...+ labor for installation of course?

Yes, that's correct, although you may require your gauge cluster reprogramed. The part number I gave for the steering wheel is a black (ebony) color, if yur truck has another color, then the part no. will differ.

BTW, the approx prices are from gmpartsdirect.com, check carefully they add handling charges and shipping charges that can be pretty expensive.

Robert

Note: This mod. will only work on 2003 and later NBS trucks.

No, having a 4x4 should not exclude you from this mod. You just have to come up with a convenient way to moount 4 momentary action switches. You can also use a 4 way joypad like that used fr positioning your door mirrors. Depending oon you location you just need to lengthen your wires and route them to the switch location.

Yes it is much easier to do on a 2WD truck, but if you want DIC, be creative.

Robert

only 25$ for DIC? thats a good deal. Can i add a DIC to a 2002?

For those of us with antique trucks, the DIC is separate from the cluster.

In the Escalade and Denali, the DIC mounted in the console.

It does almost everything the DIC does in the 03-04's, but is just separate. I have seen people mount an 01-02 style DIC into the overhead console as well.

But the key for 99-02 is you need to buy a DIC to begin with because the cluster can't function as one, and you will need an 01-02 BCM because a 99-00 BCM can't talk to the DIC.

Archived