First oil change on 5.3L ???????

Well hit the 1000 mile mark and got to do the first oil change on the truck. Removed the oil pan drain plug and started letting it drain. Went in an got all my various filter sockets (None fit of course) slid the strap wrench on and began loosenng the oil filter and hey oil is dripping down the filter. Okay no biggie started loosening more and oil is gushing down the filter "freakin A". Spin it off and oil is gushing down out of the port where the threads are?? I would guess about a quart came out while taking the filter off, is this normal for a 5.3? I have done lots of changes but never had a vertical filter do this, what a mess. Plus I learned even though the exhaust is cool the catalytic converters stay very hot. :D If this is the way every oil change is going to be I will have to cut some heavy plastic to keep the oil from running into the skid plate. Let me know if there is a trick or something to oil changing this motor. Thank you. :D

Hey tryn2lrn,

I too created a giant oil mess during my first 5.3L oil change. Used to my Subaru Legacy where I can reach under the bumper to spin off the filter and plug.

My fiasco started out with a 3 foot stream of oil towards the rear of the truck. I was expecting a 1 foot stream. Then the killer was the 6 inch stream towards the FRONT of the truck when it dribbled down the edge of the hole. :D Okay, so this was my first rear-facing plug. I put in a Fram Suredrain (SD-4) to see if I I won't make the same mess twice. :D

I decided not to take any chances with the filter. I took a 3 inch nail and whacked it into the bottom of the filter. This created a beautiful controlled stream of oil into the drain bucket. While that drained, I cleaned up the oil slick on my floor.

Filter should be easy after that, right? Holy #$&@! was that factory filter on TIGHT! :cry: Had to cram a screwdriver in the side to crank it. The molded drain pan sure doesn't make it easy to stick a filter wrench on there. Well, at least it didn't make a mess - nice and clean.

So I think the next time I change the oil, I will start with my handy drain coupler. Hope that thing works as well as it says it will - never used one before. And I will continue to punch a hole in the bottom of the filter before taking it off. If you punch the hole far enough back, it will clear the skid plate.

Not sure if this helps you. But I feel your pain, man. :puke:

Same problem here - LOL, when I first changed the oil I think half of it was mopped up off the garage floor. Never thought the oil would shoot that far back. And yes, there's A LOT of oil that'll come out when you take out the filter.

Supurban makes an excellent suggestion using the nail.

Other annoyance factor: as the oil flow slows, it starts dripping all over the skid plate and then leaks out the holes in the plate. :D

My current plan is to trim the excess off the skid plate with a grinder so that way the oil drains directly into the pan. If you want a dumb idea, try a laundry detergent bottle. Cut the bottom out of it and cut one side to form an angle - think like a splash shield. Then use it to direct the oil flow when it comes gushing out. I guess the worst part for me is that I change my oil in my dad's garage (I live in an apt., and I doubt they'd like me doing this in the lot) - and my dad's never thrilled with oil on the floor. So I use LOTS of newspaper and rags to keep the floor clean.

My F250's filter does the same thing. I loosen the filter with a wrench enough that I can spin it by hand then hold a small garbage bag up around the top of the filter to catch the oil and filter when it comes off. Can't remember if this is possible with the GM 1500s now. Last oil change I didn't spill a drop on the ground when I changed the oil/filter.

You guys haven't had the joy of changing the 6.0 yet?

Let me tell ya' that's great fun with the two foot stream that you talk about splashing directly on the exhaust y-pipe crossover!! :D

You guys need to add a challenge to your life - even with a huge tranny drain pan there are still little dots ALL OVER my very clean bay.

:puke:

Take the challenge and do a service for a buddy with a 6.0!! :D

LMAO...I'm glad I'm not the only one. When I changed the oil the first time in my 5.3 I had the same experience. I crack the drain plug loose, estimate where the oil will likely drain to, line up the drain pan and then remove the plug completely. I totally overshot my pan and oil was all over the driveway. I was like "WTF--does Chevy pressurize the oiling system when this thing's not running??" I didn't have the problem with the filter, though. Most of the oil that spilled from the filter area was when I was trying to lower the filter down and I bumped into the exhaust and oil spilled out of the filter.

i have had some luck pulling my truck onto some ramps when changing the oil. the added height changes the angle of the truck enough so that the drip of oil misses the skid plate.

:D

Thats how I do it...... I pull it up on a set of ramps, and everything works fine... just take your time un-doing the oil filter, and have that pan ready...

The biggest problem I have is getting that one little grease zerk on the passenger side...

The tip I have on my grease gun isn't small enough.... I need a 90 degree fitting on my gun to get to it...

I crack the drain plug loose, estimate where the oil will likely drain to, line up the drain pan and then remove the plug completely. I totally overshot my pan and oil was all over the driveway

My first oil change with the 4.8 went the same way.

Before I even start, I make sure the filter is loose. If I cant turn the darn thing, I know im in trouble mess wise...

If I can get past that hurdle the rest is easy. I do like the nail idea. I going to do that one from not on... :D:D

Archived