Heated Mirrors

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra SLE with heated mirrors. I've noticed this fall so far the driver side mirror melts off very quickly, but the passenger side does not seem to heat up what so ever. Do these trucks have a heated mirror on the passenger side? If both mirrors are supposed to heat has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Wade

Your passenger side mirror glass needs to be replaced,This has been a common problem lately,I just changed mine a few weeks ago and we have changed quite a few here at the dealership. :chevy:

There is a specified way to check for power with a test light or ohm's meter but yes, the temp. alone should be warm enough to feel with your hands,turn the heat on and wait a couple of minutes and then feel each one and you should notice the difference if one is not heating up (make sure its a little chilly outside otherwise it may be a little hard to notice)

any one have GM PART NUMBERS for the replacement of the passenger side ?

Any rough Idea how much the parts cost ?

do you have to replace the glass & the heating element or are their specific parts that can be replaced to fix the problem ?

Is the passenger side on a different circut than the driver side?

fuese ?

relays ?

Anyone have a removal procedure .... that won't break the glass.

Here is what my manual says:

1) starting from the side away from the vehicle insert your fingers as far as possible behind the mirror back toward the center of the back

2) pull the mirror face out of the housing

3) disconnect the 2 electrical connectors

4) remove the mirror face from the mirror housing

OK how do you get the dang snap-fit hooks off of the housing without braking the glass ?

I cracked mine trying to get it out to test the circut.

Anyone have a replacement part number for the heated mirror face ? I guess I really need it now.

Part #88944392 with turn-signal-RPO code "DL3"

Part #88986363 with-out turn-signal-RPO code "DL8"

To get the glass off I always use a small flathead screwdriver and pry up on a few of the ears of the mirror glass housing and pull the glass out slow and carefully.

Part #88944392 with turn-signal-RPO code "DL3"

Part #88986363 with-out turn-signal-RPO code "DL8"

Wow, this could be an incredible savings if one wanted to upgrade the mirror. Do you think you could list the part # for the driver's side as well? Or does it matter with the same glass for both sides---flipping its direction depending on where installed.

Drivers side part numbers are 88944391 for turn signal-RPO "DL3"

and 88986362 for no turn signal-RPO "DL8"

But I don't think its as easy as just changing the glass in order to add the turn signal feature but I don't know,I would assume you need to run power wires to your turn signal harness and then add a ground wire also.I don't think it would be that hard though.

I added the turn signal feature to my '99 when I had it but I purchased a kit from Mito Corporation and it was fairly easy to install,the hardest part was fishing the wires through the little boot they have from the door to the A-pillar panel.

Thanks for the parts numbers. Ah, the wiring I can figure out (so I say), if it comes to that.

Oh yes..., while you are being gracious with the detective work on the parts numbers, could you look up the glovebox switch/light combo for a 2003 full-sized GM truck? These late model trucks didn't include that, yet the mount is there. grrrrrr

lrymal,The part number for the glovebox light/switch is 12450028,it lists for $5.83.

I got one in my hands now,plan on putting it in my '04 as soon as I can figure out where to wire it too,I also miss the lights under the dash too,everytime I get into my truck at night I keep thinking I have a bulb out. :dupe:

Let me know where you wire the glovebox light to would ya'?

Archived