I have a transfer case leak,

I noticed a few drips on the driveway, and then found out it was my t-case. I've wiped it down, checked the fluid level, which was good (at the bottom of the fill hole), but I cannot see any signs of it leaking from a plug of gasket. I even put a little pressure on all the housing bolts just to make sure they were tight, whicg\h they were. I don't see any signs of a crack in the housing either.

Any ideas as to what is causing it. :thumbs:

By the way, I know it's t-case fluid, becaus it's the bluish-green AutoTrak II fluid.

I noticed a few drips on the driveway, and then found out it was my t-case.  I've wiped it down, checked the fluid level, which was good (at the bottom of the fill hole), but I cannot see any signs of it leaking from a plug of gasket.  I even put a little pressure on all the housing bolts just to make sure they were tight, whicg\h they were.  I don't see any signs of a crack in the housing either.

Any ideas as to what is causing it.  :thumbs:

By the way, I know it's t-case fluid, becaus it's the bluish-green AutoTrak II fluid.

Mine started leaking out the rear seal. I replaced it and it stopped. It does, however, appear that I get some out of the vent tube. Not enough to drip on the driveway but if I crawl under it, I can see it on the top of the transfer case. Since it is not enough to drip or lower the fluid level, I don't worry about it. Seems I replaced the seal around 50K ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I found my leak, and this is a new one for me. There is a pin hole on the back half of the case, on the drivers side. I sprayed everything down really well with cleaner and looked it all over, but still couldn't see any leak. I drove it around the neighborhood for a few minutes and when i got back, it looked like this. How in the world would that happen, and what's the chances of GM covering it when the truck is way out of warranty? That doesn't seem liek anything that they could say is normal wear and tear on a t-case. :confused:

gallery_753_27_125982.jpg

gallery_753_27_145973.jpg

I thought about some JBweld, but I'm afraid that there may be something wrong internally too.

I've found a remanufactured t-case with a 12 month/unlimited mileage warranty for $950 and then a $250 core charge. I might not get the core back because of the case being damaged.

WOW is that odd. Do you have an enemy? Perhaps an ex-girlfriend with a rechargable drill? OK, not funny but that is by far the first and only time I've ever seen that in my life. I highly doubt you'd get any play from GM if that's a 1999. If it's running fine, drop the fluid and see if there is a ton of debris. I mean, drain it into a clean Mason Jar, strain that fluid thru a white coffee filter and really check it out. I wouldn't spend $950 for a new one but I would go so far as to yank it and split the case for internal inspection. If it is going south, put it all back together, keep it empty (no fluid), wipe it down and use it as your core cuz I doubt they'd find the pinhole. (I'd hate to be a jerk like that though.)

If all is OK with the internals and you decide it was just a friggin bubble in the casting process from GM that has just decided to leak, JBWELD!

Later,

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I drained all the fluid and didn't find and evidence of trash or metal, so i put some JB Weld on her. I let is sit for a couple days to really let it set up good and solid. I drove it around the block today, which was plenty enough to make it start leaking after the first time of trying to find it, and she didn't leak any. So then I went for about an 8 mile trip around my area, and it still wasn't leaking, so maybe it fixed it. Hopefully it will hold up over the long run.

I still can't believe I found a hole like that in the case. :seeya:

I had the same dang thing happen to my '01, except my flaw was on the top of the case so it wouldnt leak unless I was driving and there was pressure to push the fluid out. I didnt know I had the leak til it was too late. I only had 1/2 cup of fluid in the case and the parts were all boogered up inside. I think a remanufactured case was around $1000 + $250 core. + new nickel plated slip yoke + labor. Grand total equaling $2100. Hope that doesnt end up being your story.

I've been in aluminum die casting for nine years.....That is porosity of the worst kind (ie-it leaks!!!). Its held for six years but its finally weeping through-we continously monitor this stuff at work, to the point we x-ray samples 2-6times a day to verify that porosity is not present. Judging by the pics its probably just gas porosity (gas bubbles trapped in the casting) that have finally found a leak path to outside the case. If its not making any funky noises or doing anything weird, I would let the JB weld ride....There is not that much pressure in the case. Should be good to go.

• 11 months later...

Well , that hole in the trasfer case is just about guarnteed sometime during the life of the truck. Some sooner than others. It's caused by the pump in the case wearing through from the inside out. There is a little clip that holds the pump from moving that breaks and lets the pump move back into the pocket and start wearing the case. I just replaced my case since I didn't catch the leak until it drained the case and destroyed itself from lack of lube. There is a GM Tech in MI that has developed a fix for this problem, if you catch it before it wrecks your case it's a lot cheaper than if you don't. I ended up spending about $1650.00 to replace my case with a modified one. New Venture who makes the transfer case doesn't seem too interested in making a simple modification to keep this from happening. I can't believe that no one here on this forum hasn't run into someone that this has happened to.

If you go to dieselplace.com and do a search for , pump rubbing hole in transfer case, you will find a lot of info about this all too common problem.

If all you do is JB weld it you will only delay the pump wearing through again, either there or in one of the other pockets that the pump rests in.

Archived