SSR

Don't know if anybody heard this or not yet but GM is stopping production of the SSR.

They sent us dealers a letter on Jan.13th saying because the Lansing Craft Centre is among several GM facilities to be closed in 2006 as part of GM's overall restructuring plan the final SSR is expected to roll off the line on or around March 17th.

Every remaining SSR built will have a badge identifying it as being part of the "Final SSR Production Run in 2006".The badge will be placed on the waterfall area between the seats.

I like the SSR, but in reality it didn't fit anyones needs. It is heavy and way too expensive. Even with the LS2 in it the performance was a dissapointment.

GM needs to get back to basics. If this truck had less options (like the very expensive folding top) less weight, and a price that made it appealing as a fun, second vehicle, then it would be a winner. Priced as it is, why would anyone buy it? For almost the same price they could get a Vette!

It's about time someone grew a brain at gm and stopped making them!Complete waste of r&d,time,money you name it because the ssr was a complete failure from day one!Instead of taking that effort and putting into a rear wheel drive v8 program which dodge now owns because gm is asleep at the wheel, they make such a piece of trash then slap a price tag on it that only a idiot would go for!Then there is the whole thing about it looking like a freakin vw beetle with a 2' truck bed, i still can not understand what gm was thinking when making that!

I like the SSR, but in reality it didn't fit anyones needs. It is heavy and way too expensive. Even with the LS2 in it the performance was a dissapointment.

GM needs to get back to basics. If this truck had less options (like the very expensive folding top) less weight, and a price that made it appealing as a fun, second vehicle, then it would be a winner. Priced as it is, why would anyone buy it? For almost the same price they could get a Vette!

Man you hit the nail right on the head Butch!!

Heavy...YES! The last '05 we had weighed 4,587lbs.

Expensive....YES also!,It listed for $47,300.00 (The first '03 we had listed for around $41,000---A dealer in the next town over has an '05 with a sticker price of over $50k :rolleyes: and its a 6-spd!!!!)

If they would have priced them around $30k I think they would've sold them like crazy.

Just like you said,I would've bought a 'Vette before an SSR.(Plus I've always wanted a 'Vette!)

SSR is a toy for someone who has 47K to throw down. How many have you actually seen driving around? I only saw one and it was owned by this rich dude who owns a bunch of restaraunts. I agree GM must develope a V8 RWD affordable and reliable muscle car, back to the basics.

I see a ton of them cruising here in Sunny South Florida, Of course I see a lot of Exotics also cruising around. Were a cesspool of people with more money than they know what to do with. I did a double take one day seeing a Pool Boy (you know the guy that goes around the neighborhood cleaning and adding chemicals to homeowners pools) using one in his business

If I had mor money than I knew what to do with i would Buy one, Store it in a temperature controlled storage center for 25 - 30 years and sell it on Barrett-Jackson auctions. You know they are going to be the hot ticket one day.

I do agree, it's not for everybody.

However, from the day that I saw the original concept in Autoweek magazine, I wanted one. Finally, last summer, things finally came together and I was able to finally get one.

You may think it impractical, not truck-like enough, whatever. That's completely unimportant. The SSR was never meant to be a daily driven work truck or daily commuter vehicle. It was intended as a specialty limited-production item from day one.

As far as the price, there's a lot there. Sure the top added expense, but that was the whole point. What I've read about it, and what I've seen from it's manufacturing (I did have a factory tour), there's no way it could be sold for $30k. Hell, GM couldn't even sell a Camaro SS or Trans-am for under $30, and you expect a vehicle that's far more complex to be as "cheap"?

For years I saw the limited-production vehicles in magazines and always wished I had the money to get one. Now I was finally able to do so and I was sure as hell not going to miss out. I'm glad I didn't because the past 8 months have been a blast driving it. I've been places I would never have gone otherwise and met people who I would absolutely have no other connection with other than that they also own an SSR. This year I plan to do the Hot Rod Power Tour and another trip back to the Woodward Dream Cruise.

At the end of production next month, the total number produced will only be around 24,000.

And going top-down is the best part!

ssr-1.gif

Seeing the SSR on the road reminds me of the great memories I have of my fathers '49 Chevy truck. Loading up the john boat in the back and driving out to the Everglades to do a little Bass fishing.

I want a SSR, But It's just not in the picture right now. If I could I would!

I'll be kicking my self in the butt 10 years down the road for not getting one

Just like I kick my self for not buying a '66 Vette convertable in 1984 that I could have owned for $ 3,500.00 Yea it need some work but all the numbers matched.

Or the brand new Delorean that had been sitting on a dealers lot for almost 3 years after the production had stopped for less than $ 9,000.00 (they looked goos but were crap!)

Another Vehicle that's goning to be worth a few dollars one day is the current production of the GTO

Maybe the SSR is not a everyday truck, and some will argue that it's not really a truck at all. Hell they stopped making real trucks when they moved the starter switch from the next to the gas pedal to the dash and put automatic trannys in and added carpet instead of vinyl on the floorboards or added power locks and windows.

so now our luxury grocery getter is a "truck". It's just how each of us interept the term truck.

Was the Chevy LUV a truck and was it made in America?

kdm101,Please do not take my comments in offense,I think the SSR's are cool and wouldn't mind having one...and like you said,From day one GM told us dealers these were going to be limited production units with probably 5-6,000 built a year and only built for a few years,so I figured '06 or '07 would be the last year for them.And they were built as a "Speciality Vehicle" like you said.

They were going to build a "Spring Special" SSR with Sunburst Orange Paint and chrome trim but they have since cancelled that.

They were also going to offer some different two-tone paint treatments (Aqua Blur/Silver,Pacific Blue/Smokin' Asphalt,Pacific Blue/Silver) But I don't know if they produced any (Other than the Smokin' Asphalt (Black)/Ricochet Silver two-tone that came out late last year for '06)

I personally would not mind having an SSR but with a sticker price in the mid-$40's and even with my employee discount I'd buy a 'Vette first because I've always wanted one.

That being said however if you ask me which one will probably will be worth more in 20-30 years I'd say the SSR because of the limited time frame in which they were built ('03-'06)

kdm101 you got the best year also since yours has the LS2-390hp V8 and the 6-spd. I think the '03-'04's took a nosedive in value after GM put the LS2 in the '05's.

I had the chance to drive a couple '05 SSR's (Along with some '05 "C6" Corvettes) at a GM "Ride & Drive" in Aug.'04 at the Atlanta Motor Speedway and they don't run too bad at all!! :rolleyes: They had an "AutoCross" course set up for us to run'em and they don't handle too bad at all either for them weighing what they do,But man did we ever beat those things,You could smell the tires and brake pads just a burnin' going through the turns! :D

Another Vehicle that's goning to be worth a few dollars one day is the current production of the GTO

Why do you think that phony GTO will be valuable? It is a fake. Fake hood scoops, soft handling, underpowered and in my opinion just plain ugly. Wait till Chrysler comes out with the new Challenger. I saw the concept and supposedly they will be real close when they build the production version. If you are gonna build a retro muscle car, make it look like one.

Archived