Nnbs Silverado Painting Rear Chrome Bumper Black

AllBlkdOut07

Just in case some of you are thinking about doing the same thing to your truck and are curious about how to do it on your own. This thread is for people who want to paint using rattle spray cans. If you take your time it can come out pretty nice believe it or not. It's not rocket science, and I don't claim to be a paint expert by any means.

I recommend taking your front bumper off and spray it off the truck. The rear bumper which I just did yesterday can be painted on the truck, provided you take care in covering/protecting the rest of your truck from overspray. Basicaly, I carefully removed the plastic trim to get the back bumper ready for sanding. First I used 60 grit then 100 grit sanding pads on my oribital sander, be sure to get every square inch, paint won't stick to smooth chrome.

In case any of you were wondering, yes I used rattle cans, I painted my grille and front bumper that way and it came out pretty nice. As long as you take your time, prep the surface right and expect to do a lot of wet sanding at the end after your final coat of clear it will come out good enough that you really can't tell it was all done with rattle cans. If you tend to be sloppy when doing anything I would think twice about trying to paint anything on your NNBS truck yourself.

Next step is to wipe down the sanded chrome to get any excess dust. Then aply your etching primer. I used etching primer by Dupli-color. All I needed was one can. Spray back and forth in steady side to side motions. DO NOT keep the can still in one spot or you will get runs. Several light coats a few minutes apart work well.

About 10 minutes later you're ready to apply your base coat, the primer dries very fast. I used Dupli-color universal black. On trucks other than black, I am pretty sure Dupli-color has colors that will match your unique truck color. Again, same process, several light coats are better than heavier coats. Build it up. I put around 3-4 coats on mine.

Then 30 minutes later you are ready for the clear top coat. Several nice wet coats (not to heavy though) work well here. I applied 4-5 coats of clear coat, ad I used Dupli-color clear coat also in a rattle spray can. Don't worry about inperfections, you can always wetsand those out after. Of course the less imperfections you have the less wetsanding you will need to do.

Instructions say to wait 48 hours before wetsanding, but I have done it after 24 hours with success. I wet sand with 400, then move to 1000, then finish off with 1500, keep the paper very wet, I use a 5 gallon bucket with a lot of fresh water in it and I keep the paper submerged under water at all times until I am ready to use it. By the time I get to 1500 grit wetsand paper I use back and forth sanding, not in a circular motion. It tok me about 1-1 1/2 hours, take your time. After you have it as smoth as you want, apply some creme polishing compound. Then ultimately some polish/wax. Finally, put all the plastic trim back carefully.

Ok, here are some pics..nothing too exciting. Just showing how a truck should be covered up IMO if you plan on painting something directly on the truck, to avoid overspray. Need better after pics, truck was dirty and I was in a hurry to snap a shot or two and they came out crappy, so only have one thus far. Hopefully this will be inspiration to others who want the satisfaction of doing the work themselves. I will include the front just to show how that came out, it's been over a month and the front is holding up just fine.

After Etching Primer

bumper_primer.jpg

bumper_primer2.jpg

bumper_primer3.jpg

Final Clearcoats

bumper_pre_wetsand2.jpg

bumper_pre_wetsand.jpg

After 1500 Grit Wetsanding and Re-Assembbly

bumper_fiished.jpg

Previously Painted Front Bumper/Grille

allblkdout07_1.jpg

looks real good .. only problem i have .. is my truck is white .. and every single white spray can i have used, ends up turning a light tan after a few months of sunlight ... or i would be doing mine in white.

Hmm..that shouldn't happen if you use a good clearcoat on top of it. Ask around, there should be someone here that can help you out with that. Of course black is rather easy.

looks real good .. only problem i have .. is my truck is white .. and every single white spray can i have used, ends up turning a light tan after a few months of sunlight ... or i would be doing mine in white.

Hmm..that shouldn't happen if you use a good clearcoat on top of it. Ask around, there should be someone here that can help you out with that. Of course black is rather easy.

all the 'rattle can' clears i have tried .. and it still happens .. so only way i know ... is to get it done at a body shop

• 1 year later...
looks great, have been trying to convience myself to do the same. But after looking at that it most def makes me want to do it more.

Nothing like diggin' up an artifact..lol

Just take your time..it's not too bad, worst part is the wetsanding afterwards.

When you removed the step center pad from your rear bumper, did you destroy the center tire hoist bezel? I only ask because I'd like to do something like this to my bumpers and the Helm manual states "the spare tire hoist access hole bezel will be destroyed when removing" which sounds like the greatest engineering in the world. If you didn't, is there a trick? Thanks.

haha,..well I didn't exactly destroy it..but I broke off the tabs that hold the keyhole cover on. I just glued the broken tabs back on with a special glue for plastics since I never use it, it actually opens and closes too..yeah it is pretty damn stupid, I was NOT happy when that happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived