How-To: Install Electric Trailer Brake Controller GMT900.

SinisterSS

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
why did you mount it down there when you could have bought a factory Brake Controller and installed in that Square "storage space" to the left of your steering wheel? Just Curious.

You mean the space where the four wheel drive controls are normally located? I didn't think that they made one small enough to fit there.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been towing heavy travel trailers with electric brakes since 1973. The Tekonsha Prodigy is the best performing brake controller that I have ever owned. It self-levels itself and automatically adjusts the amount of trailer braking when going uphill, downhill or on the level. No more white knuckles while trailering on steep and windy mountain roads.

:lol:

why did you mount it down there when you could have bought a factory Brake Controller and installed in that Square "storage space" to the left of your steering wheel? Just Curious.

You mean the space where the four wheel drive controls are normally located? I didn't think that they made one small enough to fit there.

Plus the fact that the factory brake controller can not touch the Prodigy for performance......

C

Plus the fact that the factory brake controller can not touch the Prodigy for performance......

C

Right on!!!! The Tekonsha Prodigy is a no brainer. Since the 1970s, I have trailered with various brands and models of electric brake controllers. The Tekonsha Prodigy outperforms them all!!!!

I suspect the overpriced GM brake controller available at GM Dealers might be ok for mediocre Light Duty trailering on straight roads on flat land, but it won't perform nearly as well as the Tekonsha Prodigy for extreme Heavy Duty trailering on winding roads and on steep uphill and downhill grades!!!!!

Poor performing brake controllers are like having poor brakes and poor tires. The risk of using a brake controller of lower quality than the Tekonsha Prodigy could cause a driver and his passengers to be injured, crippled or killed!!!!

BTW, there is no such thing as an empty "storage space" to the left of the steering wheel on my 1999 Silverado LS 2500. All available space is completely filled up with switches and modules such the Auto 4wd module. However, such a space could be an option on GM's stripped-down, economy models.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great Article Id like to install one of these myself. My question is does the Tekonsha Prodigy come with a harness that you can use with the GM one that you have to solder together. Or do you have to buy one of the harness such as the 3015 for the latest GM Model strip the end off and use that to solder with the GM one.

Thanks for the info.. Very well written.

I ended up using a brace to mount mine, so it sits to the far right, next to the center console. This way it is visible through the steering wheel when I'm seated normally.

Question though. What is the difference betweent the light blue wire, and the orange in the wiring harness. Seems like they both activate the same.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am about to install a P-3 in my '08 Sierra. I was thinking about putting it next to the traction control button in that cover plate. Anyone else try this location? I hate hitting my legs on the controller when I move around during road trips (cruise set)

Archived