Seatbelt Alarm

Hello,

I'm new on here and I'm glad I found this forum. I've been a true blue GM truck guy (silverado 4x4, Yukon GT, 2- Suburbans, Envoy and now on my second Avalanche, an 2006). This truck has been my all time worse for problems. I have been looking at the forums in regards to the steering column clunking sound during turning and over light bumps. It would appear I am not alone and a fix seems unlikely.

My main problem right now is the seatbelt warning bell. It goes off after my belt in buckled. I'll push a button on the steering column and it will go off. Then if I shift my weight on the seat, it goes off again. Is anyone else experiencing this annoying problem? Is there a fix? Can i cut a wire to dis-engage this function?

It just seems that problems continue to stack-up.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers,

Geo.

I have been looking at the forums in regards to the steering column clunking sound during turning and over light bumps. It would appear I am not alone and a fix seems unlikely.

There may be a solution now. Its the intermediate steering shaft and there is a new design. Its been out for a few months now. I got it in mine after 3 prior attempts to fix it. This time seems to be good. I'm trying to remember back 3 years ago, and I think it drives as good as new. From what I hear, its working for everyone else too. Some people are even getting it covered for free and they are well over the miles. I'd talk to your dealer. It should be covered by the warranty.

well thats one way to fix a seat belt buzzer!! find the chime under the dash and cut the wires to it

I am pretty sure the chime comes through the radio now. I looked at an aftermarket radio a while back and they were saying you had to buy a hit to hear the GM chimes through it.

Don't think the weight sensor would have to do with the seatbelt unless it is saying passenger unbuckled on the DIC. I think the driver's seatbelt will always chime if not buckled after the truck gets moving a little bit. I would check the sensor on the receiver for the seatbelt buckle. What button is being pressed to make it work? Any button? That sounds like it may be some sort of electrical problem, maybe a loose harness or something. That may explain your sound when going over bumps. My wife's HHR was making odd sounds from the steering column and turns out to be something more serious than she thought. I kept nagging her to take it in and she finally did and I think they replaced the column.

On a side note, I wish there was a way to disable the seatbelt chime sometimes. Sometimes when I am on the farm I like to opt out. However, one day if I roll it I'll find out why I should have it on I suppose. On the road I love it because if I forget or my passengers forget it chimes and I remember or nag someone. I wish there was one for the back too, that would ding real loud right behind their heads. Then maybe my coworkers would get the clue to buckle up! Last thing I want is their weight coming against the back of my seat in an accident. Anyhow, off my soapbox now... :-)

Matt

I've had the advantage of wearing a seatbelt since I could sit, so it's second nature to me to put it on when I get in, and in my old car it would ding whenever I'd take the belt off or get in the car and start, and It would ding like 15 times so I finally cut one of the wires running up the receiver planning to sodler the two together but it stopped after that, so maybe its a system like that? it was a 93 tojo though so I dont the electronics are all too similar...

well thats one way to fix a seat belt buzzer!! find the chime under the dash and cut the wires to it

Thank you for your help, I'll check the sensor on the receiver for the seatbelt buckle. It is very annoying

I am pretty sure the chime comes through the radio now. I looked at an aftermarket radio a while back and they were saying you had to buy a hit to hear the GM chimes through it.

Don't think the weight sensor would have to do with the seatbelt unless it is saying passenger unbuckled on the DIC. I think the driver's seatbelt will always chime if not buckled after the truck gets moving a little bit. I would check the sensor on the receiver for the seatbelt buckle. What button is being pressed to make it work? Any button? That sounds like it may be some sort of electrical problem, maybe a loose harness or something. That may explain your sound when going over bumps. My wife's HHR was making odd sounds from the steering column and turns out to be something more serious than she thought. I kept nagging her to take it in and she finally did and I think they replaced the column.

On a side note, I wish there was a way to disable the seatbelt chime sometimes. Sometimes when I am on the farm I like to opt out. However, one day if I roll it I'll find out why I should have it on I suppose. On the road I love it because if I forget or my passengers forget it chimes and I remember or nag someone. I wish there was one for the back too, that would ding real loud right behind their heads. Then maybe my coworkers would get the clue to buckle up! Last thing I want is their weight coming against the back of my seat in an accident. Anyhow, off my soapbox now... :-)

Matt

I have been looking at the forums in regards to the steering column clunking sound during turning and over light bumps. It would appear I am not alone and a fix seems unlikely.

Thank you for your reply. You wouldn't happen to know the GM part # for this intermediate steering shaft? I have an 06 Avalanche but they are probabley the same.

Thanks again.

There may be a solution now. Its the intermediate steering shaft and there is a new design. Its been out for a few months now. I got it in mine after 3 prior attempts to fix it. This time seems to be good. I'm trying to remember back 3 years ago, and I think it drives as good as new. From what I hear, its working for everyone else too. Some people are even getting it covered for free and they are well over the miles. I'd talk to your dealer. It should be covered by the warranty.

I'm sure you're planning to do this anyway, but take your truck to your closest GM dealer and request they fix the problems under warranty. My strg whl clunking was fixed with a new strg shaft bearing. The seat belt issue should also be simple enough for a competent service dept.

To diable the seatbelt tone on the NBS it is fairly easy. There is a connection under the drivers seat that runs to the seatbelt. Simply unplug it and the beeping stops. You will need some small hands to get to the harness.

Thanks for the info! that's great. Can you mabe take a pic of the connector, so I'm sure. I'll go take a look now.. I'm guessing there aren't too many connectors down there. Will this affect anything else?

To diable the seatbelt tone on the NBS it is fairly easy. There is a connection under the drivers seat that runs to the seatbelt. Simply unplug it and the beeping stops. You will need some small hands to get to the harness.

Thanks for the info! that's great. Can you mabe take a pic of the connector, so I'm sure. I'll go take a look now.. I'm guessing there aren't too many connectors down there. Will this affect anything else?

I have had mine unplugged for a couple of months now, no effects on anything else. Passenger side might control the airbags on/off switch, so left that one alone.

Am at work now, truck is at home, will not be able to take a pic till later.

Archived