How To: 2007 Nbs Factory Speaker Upgrade Install

Finally got around to upgrading the factory speakers to Alpine Type S 6.5" speakers front and back. I would recommend speakers that are efficient like the Alpine type S or Infinity Kappa would also be a good choice. I used adapters that I purchased off Ebay $16.99 a pair. Fronts went on with out a problem the rear adapters I had to move the hole locations a bit with a rat tail file.Took me about 2.5 hours to do the complete install. Hope this helps some people out.

Here is a link for getting the front door panels off.

Door panel removal

Wiring colors .

Wiring polarity link.

Picture003.jpg

Switch pod removal pops ot plugs come off.

Paper factory speakers.

Picture006.jpg

Wiring harness soldered, heat shrink and taped up.

Picture009.jpg

Put quite a few daps of silicone on to prevent rattles down the road from the adapters.

Adapter and new speaker installed. Check to make sure it works before you put the door panel back on.

Picture011.jpg

Now for the rear pretty much the same but even easier.

Picture018.jpg

Smaller than the front and quite cheezy.

Picture019.jpg

Picture022.jpg

Picture023.jpg

That's it done.

How does it sound? Well it's an improvement for sure and there are more highs because of the tweeters built in. You won't get big bass because the stock deck amp doesn't have the poop to drive them but the bass is tighter and doesn't sound like the speakers are made out of corn flake box material. You could buy an adapter that plugs into the deck harness to provide RCA's so you could hook up a 4 channel amp to drive the speakers and keep the stock head unit. Maybe a project for next spring we'll see. I'll have to listen to it for a while and do an up date later.

Adapters.

Dab lots of silicone to prevent rattles.

Rear door panels.

Good deal... Thanks for the pictures!! I am going to order the S series right now. was reading that a 4 channel amp would make a big improvement on those speakers. Cheers! :rolleyes:

Very nice, I cant wait to upgrade my speakers. Im thinking about running a small amp for the doors and maybe add a sub or two for some bass. But very nice looking truck.

Here is a kit by JL Audio that places a 10" sub box inside the consol.

JL sub box

Very nice post!! I cant wait to get rid of the crappy stock speakers! Are those adapters needed for any aftermarket speaker?

Did you have the BOSE speakers before?

Just the stock GM ones not Bose, and yes these adapters are made for a any 6.5" speaker.

Can you point me in the direction of who you got the adapters from, and where i can get the head unit adapters, I know its on ebay but cant find it. Thanks.

I'm thinking about doing the same thing you did with the Alpines. Did it make much difference? Would you recommend this replacement?

Thank you for efforts and thoughts!

If you already have the BOSE system, you may just want to upgrade the hi's (tweeters) first and leave everything else in place. I just had my BOSE tweeters upgraded and it makes a big difference.

I also added a Kenwood 12in sub and Quantum amp... it sounds insane now!

I'm thinking about doing the same thing you did with the Alpines. Did it make much difference? Would you recommend this replacement?

Thank you for efforts and thoughts!

If you already have the BOSE system, you may just want to upgrade the hi's (tweeters) first and leave everything else in place. I just had my BOSE tweeters upgraded and it makes a big difference.

I also added a Kenwood 12in sub and Quantum amp... it sounds insane now!

No bose, I have the same set up RB has and I was wondering if RB thought his speaker upgrade a good way to go.

I think the upgrade is worth it as it's not that costly to do and if your handy and have some 1/2" mdf board you can make your own adapters. As for the rear adapters not filling in the hole it won't matter beans as the hole door is open with gaps all over besides not as much sound will come out of the rears as the amp seems biased to the front speakers.

I bought the adapters first and had no idea what the stock speakers looked like until now.

mjmautoinnovations is the Ebay seller I just put in 2007 Sierra speaker in the search and they popped up or Silverado speaker works also.

Any local car audio shop should be able to get the head unit adapters I'll look into it.

Archived