How-To: GMT900 Radio Redundant Control.

Schlogster

I've seen a number of folks apprehensive with installing the Redundant Radio Controls. Hopefully this brief documentation will help in understanding what your getting into. It's not very difficult, just keep in mind that an airbag is dangerous if not handled properly. NEVER apply voltage to the connectors, nor apply test leads from a digital volt/ohm meter to them. The potential could be lethal!!

post-40518-1193549215_thumb.jpg

post-40518-1193549234_thumb.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've seen a number of folks apprehensive with installing the Redundant Radio Controls. Hopefully this brief documentation will help in understanding what your getting into. It's not very difficult, just keep in mind that an airbag is dangerous if not handled properly. NEVER apply voltage to the connectors, nor apply test leads from a digital volt/ohm meter to them. The potential could be lethal!!

i dont get this. so what does this mean. I can buy the redundant radio controls, and just simply plug it in and thats it?

i dont get this. so what does this mean. I can buy the redundant radio controls, and just simply plug it in and thats it?

The 2007-2008 NBS trucks have the wiring loom for the redundant controls in the steering wheel. I can't tell you that there were not some certain limited option vehicles that the wiring was not included in, but I haven't come across one. If your considering adding the switch pod and are unsure, it only takes 10-15 minutes to verify that the connector is there.

The 2007-2008 NBS trucks have the wiring loom for the redundant controls in the steering wheel. I can't tell you that there were not some certain limited option vehicles that the wiring was not included in, but I haven't come across one. If your considering adding the switch pod and are unsure, it only takes 10-15 minutes to verify that the connector is there.

Can you email me better resalution pics, my eyes arnt that good. Thanks. And do you have a part number for the controls.

forgot to give my email. [email protected]

This is VERY good news. The part number would be a HUGE help.

Correct me if I am wrong here but it seems as though this can be done without removing the wheel from the column. Is this correct?

Daddy

Im getting two sides to this so i guess only way left to find out is take the wheel apart and look if there is a plug for the controls.

This is VERY good news. The part number would be a HUGE help.

Correct me if I am wrong here but it seems as though this can be done without removing the wheel from the column. Is this correct?

Daddy

Im getting two sides to this so i guess only way left to find out is take the wheel apart and look if there is a plug for the controls.

the plastic on the back side of the steering wheel looks different on my brothers truck with the radio controls, his plastic is cut out more than my plastic on my truck, 2007 nbs sierra

The wiring harness does not exist in my SLE. I should have checked before I ordered.

WARNING: Check first, order second.

Steve (Schlogster), where do you work and how is it you have come across this in other vehicles? Do you by chance know the part number for the wiring harness in the wheel with the controls so I may order it and hopefully finish this install? I am also now hearing from Frekenhye (he says he has info from a GM tech) that the BCM has to be swapped. I assume he means reprogrammed as I can't imagine they have a BCM for every vehicle configuration. You stated that no reprogramming was necessary, how do you know? Have you added these controls before? I noticed the pics you had had the controls in place already. Were the shots you took after the install or was that just a wheel that already had the controls that you were using for illustrative purposes?

Daddy

The wiring harness does not exist in my SLE. I should have checked before I ordered.

Steve (Schlogster), where do you work and how is it you have come across this in other vehicles? Do you by chance know the part number for the wiring harness in the wheel with the controls so I may order it and hopefully finish this install? I am also now hearing from Frekenhye (he says he has info from a GM tech) that the BCM has to be swapped. I assume he means reprogrammed as I can't imagine they have a BCM for every vehicle configuration. You stated that no reprogramming was necessary, how do you know? Have you added these controls before? I noticed the pics you had had the controls in place already. Were the shots you took after the install or was that just a wheel that already had the controls that you were using for illustrative purposes?

Daddy

Well the best way is take the airbag off and see if the harness is there. But the 2007 1LT package didnt have the option to add the Wheel mount audio controls. Only the 2LT's came with the steering wheel audion controls. Now this is from GM's site. So all we have to do is find out if its the same BCM thats used in the 1LT and the 2LT let me see what can be done.

• 1 month later...

Daddy

Well the best way is take the airbag off and see if the harness is there. But the 2007 1LT package didnt have the option to add the Wheel mount audio controls. Only the 2LT's came with the steering wheel audion controls. Now this is from GM's site. So all we have to do is find out if its the same BCM thats used in the 1LT and the 2LT let me see what can be done.

If the wiring harness is there is this a plug and play? or does this not really work?

• 1 month later...

Daddy

My 2007 1LT came with the redundant radio controls....

I was looking at the catalog for the 07 nbs and it seems the only way to get radio controls on a 1lt is to have the convience package. Thats the one thing I dont like about the nbs, it seems like you cant order specific options for certain trim levels like you could on the obs. Other than that I love the nbs!

• 1 month later...

Archived