Power Steering Pump Shaft

So we had a sledding party over the weekend and got two trucks stuck. Mine that you see in my sig. and a 01 1500 single cab short box. The smaller truck was showing off after I got stuck and ended up same as me. My brother has an Avalanche with brand new Terra Grapplers and was able to pull us out with a nylon hook-less toe strap. I have very bald tires, otherwise I would have been OK. this is a pretty steep hill that we drive up. It took me several attempts to get half way up where we sled. After we got the trucks out I attempted the top half of the hill where the cabin is. I noticed I couldn't steer very well. Well I didn't make it the first try, and when I came to a stop realized I didn't have any brakes along with the power steering. So now its dark and I'm on a steep hill in the woods just after a 90 deg. turn. Luckily I was in low range and once I realized what was going on I put it in reverse and that kept me slow enough and there was enough traction in the snow so I didn't slip. this was a pretty bad situation but I would hate to be on a highway or interstate when this happens.

1st, I can't believe this thing broke. I was giving it pretty good and I was trying to turn the wheels in deep snow, but I don't think I did anything that the HD shouldn't have handled. What a joke.

2nd I can't believe there isn't a recall on these. My mechanic new exactly what the problem was when I described it to him. He said he has probably done 100 of these. Even after you factor exaggeration in I'm sure he has done a lot of these.

Mine broke on a christmas tree run a few weeks ago, I was backing up out of some deep snow and when I pulled forward to go down the mountain, no power steering and no power brakes. The pump shaft had broke, and I had to drive home 120 miles with no power assist. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he said the same thing... he has replaced many of them for the same reason, he said it will do it again it is just a matter of time. If someone would come up with a heavy duty pump design to fix this problem, I would be first in line. I cannot believe how fragile the power steering pump is on a HD truck.

I had the same thing happen. Snow storm, had wheel turned hard to the left (making U turn) and had my plow on my truck as well (it was in the raised position). Gave it some gas, steering gave out and brakes failed! Fun stuff! Broke the shaft right off.

You may want to double check the recall, mine was replaced because of the recall for that exact reason. They'll look at the pump and if it is a pump that the recall falls under they should hook it up.

He said there was a recall only for the year 2000 (think)

That's Garbage!

Didn't say only for the 2000 models...get ahold of all the recalls for your particular truck and see if it falls into it.

I found this info:

Campaign Number: 05V005000 Date: 2005-Jan-07

Component: Power Train: Driveline: Driveshaft

Defect Summary: SOME PICKUP TRUCKS, VANS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC PUMP DRIVESHAFT THAT CAN FRACTURE, RESULTING IN IMMEDIATE LOSS OF HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING ASSIST. ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, THE SAME CONDITION CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER ASSIST FOR BRAKING AFTER THE RESERVE PRESSURE IS DEPLETED.

Consequence Summary: AN INOPERATIVE PUMP CAN CAUSE INCREASED STEERING EFFORT, AND IN HYDRO-BOOST EQUIPPED VEHICLES ALSO INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT, BUT DOES NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THE ABILITY TO STEER OR SLOW THE VEHICLE.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HYDRAULIC PUMP. THE CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 14, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

I'm going to look into this a little further.

Thanks.

Didn't say only for the 2000 models...get ahold of all the recalls for your particular truck and see if it falls into it.

I found this info:

Campaign Number: 05V005000 Date: 2005-Jan-07

Component: Power Train: Driveline: Driveshaft

Defect Summary: SOME PICKUP TRUCKS, VANS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC PUMP DRIVESHAFT THAT CAN FRACTURE, RESULTING IN IMMEDIATE LOSS OF HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING ASSIST. ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, THE SAME CONDITION CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER ASSIST FOR BRAKING AFTER THE RESERVE PRESSURE IS DEPLETED.

Consequence Summary: AN INOPERATIVE PUMP CAN CAUSE INCREASED STEERING EFFORT, AND IN HYDRO-BOOST EQUIPPED VEHICLES ALSO INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT, BUT DOES NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THE ABILITY TO STEER OR SLOW THE VEHICLE.

Corrective Summary: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HYDRAULIC PUMP. THE CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 14, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

I'm going to look into this a little further.

Thanks.

I also found this

Report Date : January 9, 2008 at 11:47 AM

NHTSA Campaign ID number : 05V005000

Make / Models : Model/Build Years:

CHEVROLET / C/K PICKUPS 2000

CHEVROLET / SILVERADO 2000

CHEVROLET / SUBURBAN 2000

GMC / SAVANA 2000

GMC / SIERRA 2000

GMC / YUKON XL 2000

Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 05V005000 Mfr's Report Date : JAN 05, 2005

Component: POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:DRIVESHAFT

Potential Number Of Units Affected : 98221

Summary:

SOME PICKUP TRUCKS, VANS, AND SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A HYDRAULIC PUMP DRIVESHAFT THAT CAN FRACTURE, RESULTING IN IMMEDIATE LOSS OF HYDRAULIC POWER STEERING ASSIST. ON CERTAIN VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HYDRO-BOOST POWER BRAKES, THE SAME CONDITION CAN RESULT IN LOSS OF POWER ASSIST FOR BRAKING AFTER THE RESERVE PRESSURE IS DEPLETED.

Consequence:

AN INOPERATIVE PUMP CAN CAUSE INCREASED STEERING EFFORT, AND IN HYDRO-BOOST EQUIPPED VEHICLES ALSO INCREASED BRAKING EFFORT, BUT DOES NOT COMPLETELY ELIMINATE THE ABILITY TO STEER OR SLOW THE VEHICLE.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HYDRAULIC PUMP. THE CAMPAIGN BEGAN ON FEBRUARY 14, 2005. OWNERS MAY CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438 OR GMC AT 1-866-996-9463.

Notes:

GM CAMPAIGN NO. 05001. THIS ACTION IS DEEMED A SAFETY IMPROVEMENT CAMPAIGN AND IS NOT BEING CONDUCTED UNDER THE SAFETY ACT. THE COMPANY HAS INFORMED NHTSA THAT IT WILL PROVIDE THE MODIFICATIONS DESCRIBED ABOVE FREE OF CHARGE.

Doesn't look good for a 2001

I had my power steering repaired back in December. I had just got exhaust done earlier in the day and leaving my buddys overnight as I left i had to back out sharply and then i couldn't steer well and lost brakes and almost said hello to a tree, threw it in reverse & stomped it and backed up in time though. I didn't know there was a recall though. Well atleast it wont happen again

My understanding is that the pump will break again, no matter if you replaced it already. After talking to a few people about this, several of them have had to replace the pump several times for the exact same reason each time. There is obviously some kind of flaw or design problem that is killing all of these pumps. In my own brief research it seems that there is a higher number of people that break them in the snow and/or while backing up or turning sharply. Like I said if some one figures out a heavy duty pump shaft design or fixes the problem I will be the first in line.

Well I talked with GM and they gave me a case #. If I want to get the repairs paid for, I have to take the broken parts to a dealer for evaluation. This is at my expense and it sounds like a slim chance that I will get any money back. The problem is that the guy that fixed it works for a GMC dealership but fixed it on his own time. I don't want to put him in a tough situation.

I only had $110 into it until the pulley wouldn't come off without tearing the flange (he brought the proper puller). So now I'm around $145. I don't know what the dealer charges to evaluate the broken part.

Sucks

Archived