Nelson Performance

I called Nelson Performance on the 11th to request an appointment for this coming weekend. I live in Dallas and I am planning a trip to San Antonio (Nelson is located in San Antonio). I had previously sent Nelson Performance an email inquiry that was unanswered. When I called I spoke to Lisa. According to their web site Lisa is in charge of billing. I told Lisa of my upcoming trip and requested an appointment for Saturday. Lisa informed me that they were not open on Saturday, but that Allen (according to website he is the tech) would be in doing some things in the shop Saturday while they were closed and would check with him to see if he would be willing to do a tune. I left Lisa my phone number and email address. On the 12th Lisa left a voicemail on my phone stating that Allen would be available for an appointment on Saturday, but that they would like me to do them a favor. I was unable to talk to her again until today.

When I spoke to her this morning she explained that they would be willing to tune my vehicle if I would take a transmission core back to Dallas with me. She proceeded to explain that the core was for a disgruntled customer and that I would be doing them a big favor, stating that shipping for the core was quite costly. I asked her if we would be trading services, and she said yes. I agreed to deliver the core, with the following stipulations: that it was packaged well (I did not want to be responsible for damage), and that I would receive a custom tune (not just a pre-tuned pcm). We agreed and proceeded to iron out the details, this is when Lisa informed me I would be receiving 50 dollars off the cost of my tune. I was surprised and told her so. I apologized for the misunderstanding and stated I thought we were doing a straight trade. She informed me that they were not in the business of giving services away and that they had “bills and overhead to pay”. I expressed my understanding, but insisted this was not free service but rather a trade of time and labor; it was not as if they were installing a cat back exhaust and eating the cost of the parts. Lisa told me if I didn’t want to do it then don’t worry about it, she then reminded me that they would not be open on Saturday. I proposed a counter offer. I would deliver the transmission core to Wylie (Dallas suburb that disgruntled customer lives in) if they would perform my tune for 200 dollars (reg price 375). She placed me on hold and went to speak to Allen.

I was on hold for approximately 10 minutes when Allen returned to the phone. He informed me they no longer needed my help, that a family member would deliver the transmission core the Dallas area next week. I told him that was fine, but that I felt my counter offer was fair to both of us and the part could be delivered by Sunday afternoon. He told me he had no intention of knocking off 175 dollars for my tune because that is roughly what shipping the part would cost. I pointed out that theoretically he is still saving money, we were simply trading time and service. He told me that he thought 50 dollars off was more than fair for a part that was “just hitching a ride” with me. I told him that it sounded like he wanted to get his cake and eat it too. It seemed to me that he wanted to make his money off of me and get a deal on shipping. The fifty dollars might pay my gas back to Dallas. He then indicated that they would be unavailable on Saturday. I repeated what Lisa had originally told me, that he was going to be at the shop on Saturday anyway and asked if he would still be available to do the tune for regular price sans the shipping of the transmission core. He informed me that Lisa was sitting right next to him and that she claimed she never said that he would be there Saturday (the implication being I was lying) I told him that that was ok, and that I understood if he does not want to accommodate me.

I must admit I am very bummed about this whole thing. I was looking forward to having a custom tune by a guy with a pretty good reputation. Also I like the idea that if I needed any updates or changes he was within driving distance. Now the guy has lost a customer, and missed out on getting a part delivered for another disgruntled customer, all to save 125 dollars. Unbelievable!

When I spoke to her this morning she explained that they would be willing to tune my vehicle if I would take a transmission core back to Dallas with me. She proceeded to explain that the core was for a disgruntled customer and that I would be doing them a big favor,

Red flags should have been waving all over the place on this one. You agreed to drop off a part (act as a mediator) between a pissed off customer and the seller? No thanks, but I wouldn't want to step into that hornet's nest.

You'd be doing them a big favor by taking the brunt of this guys rage when it should be directed at Allen. A fair trade would have been a free tune plus $50 for the hospital co-pay.

There are plenty of places to get a tune, look around. They wanted to use you, to deliver something to a disgruntled client, and then offer some BS price reduction. Sounds like a bunch of rats in this instance.

Wow, that is very "odd." I doubt I would have kept trying to make a deal after they backed out on the original offer - especially if they're going to call you a liar. But as others said, there are plenty of other options out there.

Well that sucks.....I dont know the guy nor the company but I thought you were being fair. Of course I dont know what it would take to do the tune whether its just a five minute programming deal or a lot more. I would venture to guess that there are more disgruntled customers besides the tranny guy and now you.

Well that sucks.....I dont know the guy nor the company but I thought you were being fair. Of course I dont know what it would take to do the tune whether its just a five minute programming deal or a lot more. I would venture to guess that there are more disgruntled customers besides the tranny guy and now you.

I would say extremely disappointed for him and not disgruntled.....but that is me...

I would say extremely disappointed for him and not disgruntled.....but that is me...

:)

There are plenty of places to get a tune, look around. They wanted to use you, to deliver something to a disgruntled client, and then offer some BS price reduction. Sounds like a bunch of rats in this instance.

I don't know if they are "rats", they do have quite a few satisfied customers. They did seem inflexible, and unappreciative of my willingness to help them out. They also seemed oblivious to the fact that they were losing a new customer because of there odd behavior. Does not make sense to my why they would walk away from a win - win situation.

I don't know anything about them except what I have read on this forum and their website. Is Allen the owner? or is he someone that works there that was trying to avoid a situation getting worse for something he had done... maybe the boss does not know about the dissatisfied customer in Dallas and would have found out if they had to pay shipping for a trans core. With all the positives I've read, it seems that they went out of their way to be less than nice to you.

I don't know anything about them except what I have read on this forum and their website. Is Allen the owner? or is he someone that works there that was trying to avoid a situation getting worse for something he had done... maybe the boss does not know about the dissatisfied customer in Dallas and would have found out if they had to pay shipping for a trans core. With all the positives I've read, it seems that they went out of their way to be less than nice to you.

i have no idea who the owner is. but from the list below (from Nelson Performance website) i dont think there are many people to hide stuff from. also, Lisa said the customer the trans core is intended for has been waiting 2yrs. she described him as "whinny".

Shipping, Technical and Sales: [email protected] Technical and Installation: [email protected] Billing: [email protected] Technical: [email protected]

Archived