Question About My Rear End...

Does it look big in these jeans? :)

Just kidding... I noticed on the build sheet for my truck that it has the AXN - HYBRID AXLE. Can someone please explain to me what the difference between a Hybrid and non-Hybrid axle is?

Thanks in advance.

B

The "AXN" axle in the 1/2-tons is the 9.5" axle,this is the axle that comes with the optional 6-liter.

The standard axle in the 1/2-tons is 8.625".

But why do they call it a "Hybrid" axle? Is that just some marketing ploy or does it have something to do with being a Free-floating or Semi-floating axle? Aparently my Google-fu is weak today because I was unable to find out what that means.

The "AXN" axle in the 1/2-tons is the 9.5" axle,this is the axle that comes with the optional 6-liter.

The standard axle in the 1/2-tons is 8.625".

But why do they call it a "Hybrid" axle? Is that just some marketing ploy or does it have something to do with being a Free-floating or Semi-floating axle? Aparently my Google-fu is weak today because I was unable to find out what that means.

I have no idea,And I work for GM parts!!! I've wondered the same thing (Why they call it "HYBRID")

I just know when I see the "AXN" RPO code that the customer has the 9.5" axle.

they are combining the two axles into one (at least that is how it is explained from GM Corp), there are parts from the 8.625 axle in the 9.5 axle...thus creating a mix aka hybrid axle.

Archived