Stupid Question..what Is Torque Management?

Is the torque management the thing that makes you wait after you turn a corner and want to accelerate? Does it also decide what gear it wants? My 96 z71 with 180,000 miles on it is actually more fun to drive than my brand new 08 z71 for this reason. Who ever wrote the program for this new truck ought to be fired...

My best friend is a suppl manager for ford and this weekend he had a new 08 f-150 we rode around in down in Kansas City, and it ran so good, I was completely impressed.

Will a tuner get me there??? I want a hand held so I can load and unload it when I want to.

Thanks...Kevin

08 silverado CC 1500 4x4 5.3 alum block flex fuel AFM.

Somebody will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think torque management has anything to do with the wait you experience after turning a corner. I think it's just transmission programming. My truck has always done this, if I take a corner any faster than a grandma would and then get into the gas as the truck is straightening out there is a delay for a moment (like one full second) and then the transmission shifts and the truck launches abruptly and then it no more than gets going and it upshifts back into the next gear again. I would expect it to find the right gear sooner as I get into the gas out of the corner. With the passing miles, the downshift has become more violent and noisy. I've learned to just drive like a grandma around corners because I don't want to shell out $$ for a custom tune just to fix this.

My old TH350 in my '71 GMC shifted better and more consistently than the tranny in my '03. I think GM has some work yet to do on the transmission shift points.

Somebody will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think torque management has anything to do with the wait you experience after turning a corner. I think it's just transmission programming. My truck has always done this, if I take a corner any faster than a grandma would and then get into the gas as the truck is straightening out there is a delay for a moment (like one full second) and then the transmission shifts and the truck launches abruptly and then it no more than gets going and it upshifts back into the next gear again. I would expect it to find the right gear sooner as I get into the gas out of the corner. With the passing miles, the downshift has become more violent and noisy. I've learned to just drive like a grandma around corners because I don't want to shell out $$ for a custom tune just to fix this.

My old TH350 in my '71 GMC shifted better and more consistently than the tranny in my '03. I think GM has some work yet to do on the transmission shift points.

I have driven an 03 like yours, and believe me it is WAY worse with the 08 NBS. But it does the exact thing you are describing.... Maybe the shift problem with the torque management added in makes the difference...

Its a real pig let me tell ya.

It is software designed to protect the driveline from 'shock' due to sudden acceleration

Do the new rigs with the 6 speed automatic transmission have the same software? Would it be any less detectable?

It is software designed to protect the driveline from 'shock' due to sudden acceleration

Do the new rigs with the 6 speed automatic transmission have the same software? Would it be any less detectable?

Yes it was more detectable, then GM released revised software to counter the customer complaints of the sluggish programming

Here is the latest:

gmLogoFlat.gif Service Information

2008 GMC Truck Sierra Denali | Sierra, Silverado (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 2162174 #PIP4112F: Sag Or Hesitation On Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristic) - keywords 4L60E 4L65E 4L70E 6L80 6L90 - (Jul 1, 2008)

999999995.gif
Subject:Sag or Hesitation on Acceleration (Normal Operating Characteristics)

Models:2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV

2006-2008 Cadillac XLR, XLR-V

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe

2006-2008 Chevrolet Corvette

2006-2008 Chevrolet Impala

2006-2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL

2008 Pontiac G8

Equipped With a Gasoline Engine and Automatic Transmission

This PI was superseded to update models. Please discard PIP4112E.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a sag or hesitation when accelerating under the following conditions:

When coasting with a closed throttle and then aggressively applying the throttle. Examples of this maneuver include a rolling stop or a lane change maneuver. In this type of maneuver, even though the accelerator is applied aggressively, the throttle blade is opened slowly for up to 0.7 seconds to help minimize driveline lash and clunking.

Also in a 6L80 or 6L90 (RPOs MYC or MYD) equipped vehicle when making a hard, complete stop with a closed throttle, immediately followed by an aggressive throttle opening the transmission downshifts may not be completed by the time the throttle is opened. As a result approximately 0.5 seconds of "zero" torque may be commanded to allow the shift to first gear to occur.

Recommendation/Instructions:

Both of the above conditions are a result of Torque Management and both of these conditions should be considered normal and no repairs should be attempted.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

999999994.gif WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.

Yeah, TM pretty much jumps in during the shifts. But if you are having shifting "issues" not due to TM or you aren't sure, definately take it in and get the PCM (and/or TCM) updated. I know mine didn't shift all that great when I first got it. Then I took it in for the mandatory PCM update I always have done, and ever since then it's shifted great. Even on a stock tune, WOT from a 20 roll, and it'll immediately jump right into 1st and take off without any noticable delay. Obviously I try not to do this very often. :)

And of course, try that in a newer truck, and you'll feel TM all over the place. But still, I'd get it updated (if not tuned.)

TM is very intrusive on my new Sierra. Funny how we all survived all these years without torque management. I guess they are designing components so poorly now that it is needed to keep stuff from breaking.

Great confidence builder, GM. Thanks.

that is true Z, but at the same time how can they 'guarantee" 5 years/100,000 miles of powertrain coverage without restricting the 'abuse' on the vehicles?????

I had assholes on the case load that I used to work and they would say..."your vehicle died out on me" and their vehicle was 4 years old with 99,000 miles or the vehicle was 9 years old with 36,000 miles...or the vehicle was 2 years old with 120,000 miles...I have seen and heard practically every excuse in the book, this is GM's way of saying "I Dont Think So..."

Torque Management is unfortunately here to stay.....

Archived