Crazy Fuel Gauge And Low Fuel Light - Fixed!

I replaced my fuel level sending unit this past weekend. I bought a replacement sending unit off ebay for $26

My thought was that the contacts were dirty and coated. I'm glad I bought a replacement though! Much cheaper! You can see from the picture below that what I found was pretty obvious. Dirty maybe but, look at the contact fingers...they are gone! The new one is nearly exact OEM and came with everything needed for the install process. I brushed off the socks inside the pump area, and the external sock. Removing and installing the fuel tank was quite an ordeal. The straps, easy to remove. The power connector after that, easy. Be sure to remove the fuel lines before twisting and damaging them! I had some boxes to support the fuel tank while doing this. I only had about 5 gallons in the tank. The most difficult thing about this process was the filler hose attached to the tank. That was a real bugger to get off because it's so difficult to get at. I probably did it the wrong way. I first tried removing the hose from the fender side. The hose clamp had me baffled though. Dumbest thing I've ever seen. Must have been a Norwegian Canadian that designed it. That clamp tightened by turning counter-clockwise. When the clamp is tight, the screw that pulls the strap through just comes right out lolol. Anyway, it's all in and working great!

Note: If you take your time, there is no need to take the bed off. I think that's some old way of doing that. Seems easier to just drop the fuel tank since that's how GM set it up.

20081025_00588.jpg

Archived