99 Silverado Seat Belt Retractor

Hey guys,

I'm semi-new at this, so please be gentle... My driver's side seat belt on a 99 Silverado NBS does not retract. It's the seat with seat belt built into the seat itself. I basically have to feed the belt back into the seat when I need it to be shorter. Seats are cloth, although I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

I've looked around and can't find much on it other than that there's a TSB on it. Specifically TSB #010940001 -- INFORMATION REGARDING REPLACEMENT OF FRONT SEAT BELT RETRACTOR AND BUCKLE USAGE. I can't find any details on the TSB other than the title and number. I gave the local dealer my VIN, and they said all the recalls are closed.

Have any of you run into this problem? If so, what did you do about it? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
I also have the same problem and was hoping for some useful information.

Thanks

I had my problem resolved... I had it into the dealer to have them remove the annoying automatic door locks that lock at 20 mph from the BCM using a tech II. While it was in there, I had them look at the seatbelt. They weren't very clear about it, but he said he said the belt was twisted deep in the seat and some plastic piece broke off in there that he needed to glue. I was surprised they even attempted to repair it as I thought they would try to install a whole new belt assembly. It works perfect since they did whatever they did. They charged somewhere around $45 to fix it. Total trip was ~$80 with the BCM reprogramming.

My 99 would do that sometimes, but would retract if the door was opened. :withstupid:

If I remember correctly, there was a recall with something to do with the seat belts. I don't remember the details, but I got the truck in 2002 and it wasn't too long after that.

That 20mph door lock always bugged me too. At least my new truck unlocks once you're back in park. :thumbs:

• 5 months later...

My 2001 passenger side seat belt shoulder harness locks up and won't release until it is unbuckled and retracted. Driver side is good. The dealer has ordered a new retractor but says it's going to be $250.00. I had an '86 Corvette that had a GM recall for this same reason. Seems to me that this should be GM responsibility. Anybody have any experience in gaining access to the retractors inside the seat? I fixed an '85 GMC I owned that had this problem, just tweaked the inertia weight inside the retractor.

Thanks for any ideas.

.....Doug.

• 1 month later...
My 2001 passenger side seat belt shoulder harness locks up and won't release until it is unbuckled and retracted. Driver side is good. The dealer has ordered a new retractor but says it's going to be $250.00. I had an '86 Corvette that had a GM recall for this same reason. Seems to me that this should be GM responsibility. Anybody have any experience in gaining access to the retractors inside the seat? I fixed an '85 GMC I owned that had this problem, just tweaked the inertia weight inside the retractor.

Thanks for any ideas.

.....Doug.

I have the same problem with my 2000 sierra Ext Cab RH seat. I have already replaced the retractor in 2006 for $255.00. This did not fix the problem. My bride of 33 years is fed up with it so yesterday I contacted the dealer. Service rep told me that is a typ. problem with belt retractors built into the seat especially on the RH side. He said it is triggered by pulling the belt ALL the way out during the hook-up, he said this was especially true for LARGER PEOPLE! We are LARGER PEOPLE!! He said GM makes a belt extension that allowes the belt to be latched w/o pulling the retractor out all the way. GM provides these extensions at NO CHARGE!! I ordered them and they should be in today. Will let you know if they work! I noted last night that the LH (driver's) belt seems to be considerably longer than the RH belt. This may be why it is typically a RH belt problem.

BB

Archived