Engine Hour Meter Reset?

Hello all. I have a quick question. My engine hour meter reset itself. I didn't think this was resettable? I had about 10,xxx hours on it, and when I looked at it the other day, it was at like 5 hours. How did this happen?

Also I have noticed that when the truck is idling, sometimes its "stumbly", and feels like it misses sometimes. It has the L33 engine and only 29K on it.

thanks for any advice!

Andy

I have a 2005 GMC Yukon, 5.3, and I've had the exact same thing happen to mine. The engine hours have completely reset just about a month ago. Does anyone know why this happens, and what can be done to rectify the situation?

Hello all. I have a quick question. My engine hour meter reset itself. I didn't think this was resettable? I had about 10,xxx hours on it, and when I looked at it the other day, it was at like 5 hours. How did this happen?

Also I have noticed that when the truck is idling, sometimes its "stumbly", and feels like it misses sometimes. It has the L33 engine and only 29K on it.

thanks for any advice!

Andy

You had more than 10,000 hours on it! Wow! How many miles? 300,000 or so?

Mark

thanks for any advice!

Andy

You had more than 10,000 hours on it! Wow! How many miles? 300,000 or so?

Mark

Ok maybe it was 1000! ha! That does make more sense. Anyways, I remember playing with the computer and trying to reset the hour meter, and it wouldnt go. I assumed it was un-resettable for service and history. Does anyone know if this is in fact a user resettable item? Reading the manual, it doesnt say anything about it being resettable. Hmmm....

It was my understanding that the Engine Hour meter on the DIC could not be reset without the Tech2. I remember GM using the Engine Hour meter to assist with dealing with diesel warranty claims. I cannot remember the exact equation anymore but it was something like 1 hour idle = 30 miles equivalent. Perhaps one of the current GM employees can chime in.

I had mine reset just the other week also. I was up around 1700 hours, went to gas up, flipping through the DIC to get my mileage and whoa....4.2 hours!? Not too happy about that but from the bulletin above it doesn't sound like there's much that can be done. Might as well let it reset itself again since I now have no frigging clue how many hours it has total.

Funny you should mention about the stumbly idle, I also have the L33 and I find when the engine is warm the idle is not smooth. It's actually quite an aggravating vibration that I can feel through the seat as it stumbles. It's very minor which is what makes it so frustrating. I just threw some injector cleaner into the tank last night so maybe that will clear it up.

Archived