Antenna Delete

I relocated my antenna as I have always disliked them on the front fender area. Would have liked to relocate and installed an electric one but not happening this time around.

1.) This is what I did. This mod was Previous done by Daddy! (Click Here)

1.jpg

2.) Removed Plastic Insert. Pull from the center windshield side and upward and it will pop out.

2.jpg

3.) Plastic Insert Removed! Looking for a Plug for Vinyl to adhere to as it has started to peel. Free piece of vinyl for best plug design!! pm me...

3.jpg

4.) Covered Opening with a piece of Vinyl.

5.jpg

5.) Used a 7mm Bolt Screwed into Antenna, painted it black with a i-hook and 12 gauge wire and heat Shrinked it. Had to use a Dremel to to elarge center of 12 AWG i-hook a little for the 7 mm Bolt to fit.

6.jpg

6.) i-hook same size 12 AWG and Heat Shrinked on opposite end of wire and bolted down to existing Antenna Mount.

7.jpg

7.) Plastic Cap on top of Antenna Bolt for extra protection! Not needed but looks cosmetically better.

8.jpg

8.) Relocated Antenna under Lip of passengers side fender, put heat Shrink on areas that my rub.Hard to see as it blends right in. Clean look, When you open the hood you don't even see it.

9.jpg

9.) Snapped plastic insert back in place. Finished! Looks Great in my O pinon and Glad I did it.

10.jpg

I also installed a 2" Skyjacker Leveling Kit on the front. This was a Bigger Job than I thought and A Hugh Thanks to illmac77 for his Help, use of Garage $ Tools! His 04 ZO6 Convertible looks a 100 times better in Person as I could not stop Drooling.. I frogot to mention Sounds Wicked as 4ell. I also need to Thank MS3DALE for the torque Specs!! I need to get some better photos of the truck now that it's leveled but I will say it looks a Heck of a Lot better.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks GREAT!!! :D

Tell me more about the vinyl.

Now I collect Stickers but lets get one thing straight, I will not put stickers on my vehicles except for the third taillight sticker for my Z28 were it all started.There are many different grades and colors of vinyl. I'm by no means an expert however my buddy is. He has worked in a print shop for over 15 years and has made me a number of different things! Here are a few samples of graphics I use to sell. These are the less expensive one color Vinyl graphics but we did it all.

I had an extra piece lying around so I decided to cover up the hole with it. Now I need to make some modifications as it is starting to peel. I use Alcohol to clan and prep the area but I made it to small, I tried to make it about an 1/8 of an inch all they around the hole., but I need to make it larger to adhere better. I need to play around for an exact fit, I working on coming up with a plug as it needs something to adhere to in the center..I have had the vinyl on my Z28 for 8 years and it still look brand new. However the vinyl had a full area to adhere to that's what I need some type of plug for the hole to adhere the vinyle to. As with any Mod you have to make Tweaks as you go along....

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Oh, it's just some Oracal. I see.

I used to work in a sign shop during college and still have connections with my old boss (oddly, I saw him just today) but I can't imagine that vinyl will stay on there very long. I thought maybe you had fund a vinyl plug of some kind or something.

Let us know in a month or so how the vinyl is holding up.

Oh, nudity is frowned upon here, LOL. :D

I used to work in a sign shop during college and still have connections with my old boss (oddly, I saw him just today) but I can't imagine that vinyl will stay on there very long. I thought maybe you had fund a vinyl plug of some kind or something.

Oh, nudity is frowned upon here, LOL. :D

I was thinking of a wood plug but any one have any other Ideas??

I have a free piece of vinyl for who ever comes up with a plug design...

Looks way better!

Very nice and clean install too

Thx Riggs, your Truck is looking Nice, keep up the great Job!!! I would pull off the stickers, YAMAHA, Stickers on the Back seat glass, Z71. Then See how it looks with the SLE and 1500, May take those off too but would like to see then decide, however we all have our own opinions.

img-resized.png Reduced: 31% of original size [ 2048 x 1536 ] - Click to view full imagep3070249.jpg

img-resized.png Reduced: 31% of original size [ 2048 x 1536 ] - Click to view full imagep3070255.jpg

img-resized.png Reduced: 31% of original size [ 2048 x 1536 ] - Click to view full imagep3070265.jpg

Oh, nudity is frowned upon here, LOL. :thumbs:

Forget the vinyl! Cover the top side of the hole with masking tape and then fill it from the bottom side with black silicone. Blends well. Water tight and can be easily cut out if you ever want to replace the antenna. :D

Forget the vinyl! Cover the top side of the hole with masking tape and then fill it from the bottom side with black silicone. Blends well. Water tight and can be easily cut out if you ever want to replace the antenna. :D

Great idea!

Now, a question for those that have done this.....any reduction in reception?

Great idea!

Very good question. It would most certainly have to reduce it. I drive between cities and would like to know too. I've never really been bothered by the antenna but it does look clean without it.

Great idea!

I was thinking the same thing.

I have done two trucks and one was mine. We live with in a 50 mile radius of all stations of the FM band that we listen to and there is little to none reception change, some more info (Click Here) this excludes AM radio as you will see a decrease in reception.

Archived