Help Installing Nav In Non-bose Vehicle

I have a 2005 Tahoe, non-bose vehicle in which I would like to install a factory TNR. I have read this excellent guide byDIGGIE07 however, I am still unclear about which product to use. Yes, I see the 15811289 unit listed for Non-Bose vehicles, but what about 15229287? It's not listed at all and appears to be a valid part for use with my vehicle. And if I install a head unit designed for use with non-Bose vehicles, will I still need an amp? I see lots of people having problems with chimes, volume, on-star, but I'm not sure if these problems are simply issues with installing head units designed for use with bose systems into non-bose vehicles (makes sense) or if all GM nav units must be amped.

Any further guidance?

well to my knowledge people mainly have problems with the chimes when changing the non lux amp over to the lux amp. im not sure about the chime issue happening when changing over the head unit itself. For the most part the head unit doesnt cause these problems that im aware of. Also the model number 15229287 you gave me, i did alittle looking around and it looks to me that its a non lux version, which would mean you wont be able to use it if you dont have bose at all. Even if you did have the non lux bose system i dont know if id want to go with that one anyways, ive seen post by other people on other forums talking about their problems with the units and it looks like one of the older units out their since someof the post talking about the 15229287 was dated all the way back to 2004 that i noticed. Me personally, i think that if gm came out with newer ones to use then there must have been problems with the older units..or non the less they will also just be old as of now.

But with my unit i have had no problems with any of the features of the head unit or the features already in my truck(onstar, steering wheel controls, etc...) so i think all around the best solution to prevent any of these issues is just stick with the non bose head unit since you have the non bose tahoe. Sorry im not as helpful with your questions as id like to be man.

So what I'm hearing is that if I obtain a head unit that was designed to be used in non-Bose vehicles (regardless of whether its newer or older), it will be "plug and play". (Option A)

However, you're recommending that instead of this that I obtain a Bose amp and a newer head unit because the newer units will have less problems and ostensibly it will sound better. (Option B)

Let's say I go with Option B and I get a console with a non-lux Bose amp and a non-lux Bose compatible TNR. Will the Bose amp plug right in to an existing body harness and the TNR into the Bose amp or will I have to run wires custom and splice things in? Will there be any issues with using a Bose amp in a vehicle that doesn't have the rest of the Bose system?

If this is not a "plug and play" solution and there will be compatibility issues without running new wire and replacing speakers, I would rather just go with an aftermarket solution. My experience is that you get more for less that way. The only thing attractive to me about a factory system would be ease of installation.

I recently upgraded my 2003 Suburban LS w/ Non-Bose / Non-Lux factory options (UB1 speaker code).

I found a non-bose TNR on ebay and it plugged right in. No lock codes, no dealer programming, no harness needed. Completely plug and play. I can look-up my serial number if you are interested.

I recently upgraded my 2003 Suburban LS w/ Non-Bose / Non-Lux factory options (UB1 speaker code).

I found a non-bose TNR on ebay and it plugged right in. No lock codes, no dealer programming, no harness needed. Completely plug and play. I can look-up my serial number if you are interested.

That would be awesome. Thanx!

I believe it was 15800000 or 15800001 - I can confirm these work with non-Lux non-Bose.

Here is the same model on ebay... not related to seller, I got mine much cheaper;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-06-TAHOE...5fAudioQ5fVideo

I think the 15229287 model is non-Lux w/ Bose.

You're sure they work with non-lux non-bose as plug and play? Because they are listed as non-lux w/bose. I would think something designed to work with the bose system would require an external amp, whereas something designed to work apart from the bose system would not require an external amp. Or is that a bad assumption?

I am sure 15800000 worked in my vehicle which was non-Bose non-Lux...

I know for a fact I have no external amp in my suburban since I just removed the entire dash for a 12way seat upgrade, no amp. I specifically purchased a project truck with no amp because I think it will be easier to add my own down the road by simply splitting out the radio harness output.

IMG_0472.jpg

Very nice - thanks for the pic. I would agree with you on the amp. You'll also get a better sound system in the end. I installed a Pioneer AVIC D3 in my '03 Sierra along with Polk Momo speakers in the four doors and a Pioneer amp. The amp was nothing special, but the sound is FAR better than any factory Bose system I've ever heard and that's without any subs. I put an amp in for subs too but I've never hooked them up.

Archived