Acdelco Brake Rotors

So, bought some ACDelco OEM (not Durastop, these are the real deal) rotors for the rear of my 04. Right there under the ACDelco label: Made in China. Damn.

Same is true on my new truck.

It does suck.

A while back I went into my local auto-parts store and was buying rotors and pads and the guy asked me if I wanted the cheap Chinese rotors or the better USA made Raybestos rotors. I have been having problems with the cheaper rotors warping long before the pads had worn out, so I asked for the Raybestos rotors. When I got home and started installing the rotors I found a sticker on the box that read "Made in China" ! :thumbs: WTF!

Yeah, I was just kind of disappointed that the Delco rotors were put together there. I guess as GM morphs we should expect to see more of this offshore stuff.

C & A, where are Carquest rotors made?

Some of our Rotors are still produced here but unfortunately most are made in China. Some may have read my posts on this before but I will pass along what I have seen from our Product Managers. There are many levels of quality of rotors coming from China. All the way from rotors being cast in red dirt molds in the ground to extremely high quality pieces produced in state of the art facilities that would rival those plants anywhere in the world. It is all about the amt of metal used when casting and the quality of the metal. Many of them are simply made with much less material with no standards at all. We sell literally boat loads of rotors to Professional Repair Facilities all over the USA and have no quality issues at all.

Although I do not like to see the Made in China on the box, you do not have to worry about the quality of our Rotors. I would also feel this would be true of any Chinese rotors being sold by a reputable parts store.

Some of our Rotors are still produced here but unfortunately most are made in China. Some may have read my posts on this before but I will pass along what I have seen from our Product Managers. There are many levels of quality of rotors coming from China. All the way from rotors being cast in red dirt molds in the ground to extremely high quality pieces produced in state of the art facilities that would rival those plants anywhere in the world. It is all about the amt of metal used when casting and the quality of the metal. Many of them are simply made with much less material with no standards at all. We sell literally boat loads of rotors to Professional Repair Facilities all over the USA and have no quality issues at all.

Although I do not like to see the Made in China on the box, you do not have to worry about the quality of our Rotors. I would also feel this would be true of any Chinese rotors being sold by a reputable parts store.

I have to back up Trey here. Even though "Made in China" has a bad reputation it is incredible how much of what we use daily is from there. The computer you are on right now has many chinese components... no matter what the name says on the front. Macs and PCs of all makes are the same deal. I guess it's more of a principal thing with me. I'd like to have my GMC truck be an American produced vehicle from start to finish.

:driving:

Where its made no longer dictates quality. However, the brand name on the box may.

It is sad. I think if more products were made in America the prices would come down. Although the imports may be of value it is sad to see the jobs and the profits exported. A lot of the Harley chrome and all of their leather products are Chinese. Blasphemy!

I am shopping right now for a new bike for my 8 yr old daughter. Try to find an American bike that is not $1,000.00. I have found one brand (Trek)on line and will be visiting 2 local dealers today. They are an American co. and it appears they are assembled here with some US Products. Although their website is great, it is very evasive when it comes to where the product is made.

So, the thought is that even though it is made in China, the fact that it is OEM ACDelco might suggest that it is of quality. That is good to know. I'm also somewhat relieved to hear that reputable part stores are selling Chinese rotors (relieved for me, not for the American workers who are losing their jobs or the Michigan/Ohio/Indiana towns that are completely closing down).

As an aside, if anybody wants a really good read, "On a Clear Day You Can See General Motors" (written by somebody under direction from John DeLorean) is quite possibly one of the best books I have ever read. You WILL enjoy it. It is unbelievable.

Archived