Mechanical Fan--to--electric Fan Experiences

im trying to find a good electric fan conversion for my 2000 silverado, the truck has a mechanical fan now and want the power from converting to electric (along with the much more space it gives under the hood)

i looked at this kit on ebay, what are your thoughts, think its worth it??? would it do the job???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-SIERRA-...sQ5fAccessories

im trying to find a good electric fan conversion for my 2000 silverado, the truck has a mechanical fan now and want the power from converting to electric (along with the much more space it gives under the hood)

i looked at this kit on ebay, what are your thoughts, think its worth it??? would it do the job???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-SIERRA-...sQ5fAccessories

Ask Black Bear Performance (sponsor here) about that. I think they sell the harness you need to do the swap. Lots of folks have done it.

Look for a set of LT1 or LS1 fans on ebay. They fit and work really nice and can be found for less than the one you posted.

What ever you get, make sure its a dual fan setup. Especially if you tow anything.

Do your homewark. You may need to upgrade your alternator. It would be fine at highway speeds but at idle an alt only produces about 40% of it's output. A 100 amp alt would be producing approx 40 amps at idle and that will not cover 2 fans, a blower fan, headlights, wipers, radio etc.

Also, if you are towing and depending on these fans to keep your transmission cool, you may want to read some of the post from people with later model trucks who tow. The e fans simply do not move the same amt of air accross the trans cooler and in the newer trucks, they come on at temps approaching 210 degrees.

Just do your homework before you make this move.

how many cfm's does one factory electric fan on a say 2006 silverado???

Do a little searching....several people here, including myself, have converted from belt driven to efans. All the info is already posted within the forum.

I converted to an LS1 fan and have never had a charging problem with the standard alternator. I have had the A/C,lights, trailer lights standing in 90F bumper to bumper traffic without a problem.

My 2009 GMC comes stock with dual electric fans. I was considering the electric fan mod until I opened the hood and noticed I already had them. You might want to consider a 2009 OEM electric fan for your truck.

My 2009 GMC comes stock with dual electric fans. I was considering the electric fan mod until I opened the hood and noticed I already had them. You might want to consider a 2009 OEM electric fan for your truck.

Only place your going to find 09 E-fans are dealers and they will rip you off for them. He is better off searching ebay/craigslist or a salvage yard for LS1 fans.

Only place your going to find 09 E-fans are dealers and they will rip you off for them. He is better off searching ebay/craigslist or a salvage yard for LS1 fans.

No doubt it will be more expensive but it will more likely do the job without issues.

• 4 weeks later...
So this would work on my 2003 GMC sierra 1500? Where does the fans get plugged in to? is there any reprogramming that needs to be done?

Yes, it works great. You need a wiring harness for it. You can get that on ebay or from black bear performance's website.

• 1 month later...
once you take the big bolt off that connects the mechanical fan , what holds the WP pulley on?

I don't know since I've haven't replaced the water pump in my truck but it's not coming off because of the mechanical fan being removed.....I converted mine several years back and the pulley is still there.

Archived