Power Steering Fluid Purge & Re-fill

I plan to replace my power steering fluid this weekend, using the turkey baster purge method. I want to use synthetic PS fluid this time around. The only brand I can find in the local stores that is synthetic, is Royal Purple. I thought Valvoline use to make this stuff? Anyone use RP or are there better brands out there? In addition, how much fluid does the reservoir hold, so I know how much to buy? Thanks

I just changed my 04 to amsoil synth yeasterday. I am not sure how much you will be able to get out with a turkey baster but i used a suction gun and got about 3/4 of a liter out. I am not sure if the baster will work that good brcause half the fluid i sucked ou was in a spot that the 1/4 inch hose hardly fit. If you go with the baster I would do it once drive a bit then do it again just to get more new fluid in.

I just changed my 04 to amsoil synth yeasterday. I am not sure how much you will be able to get out with a turkey baster but i used a suction gun and got about 3/4 of a liter out. I am not sure if the baster will work that good brcause half the fluid i sucked ou was in a spot that the 1/4 inch hose hardly fit. If you go with the baster I would do it once drive a bit then do it again just to get more new fluid in.

Mark,

How many bottles did you use all together? Assuming you filled back just the 3/4 of the liter, its 2.

Why couldn't you just pull the return line off the pump and pump the old stuff out?

Yes...I posted this process somewhere on here before but can't find it. It was the fix to a loud PS unit.

I just disconnected the return line form the hydroboost unit let it dump into the oil pan as I pressed on the brake. I kept filling up the PS reservoir with Valvoline Syn until what was flushed came out clean/clear. I used three bottles.

It did quiet down the noise from the PS unit and it is also better for the hydroboost unit.

Should take you 30 mins max.

jack up the front end, remove return line and tape it to empty 2 liter soda bottle, set it as upright as you can. Remove reservoir cap, start engine and have an assistant turn the steering wheel slowly to left and right while you add fluid. When fluid is clear in soda bottle, shut off engine, hook return line back up. Start engine and turn wheels left and right a few times to get any air out. Tweak fluid level with turkey baster. Unjack front end.

I used big bottle of valvoline synpower i think. Get 2 just in case, it's cheap (like $5 and you have extra if you need it)

I plan to replace my power steering fluid this weekend, using the turkey baster purge method. I want to use synthetic PS fluid this time around. The only brand I can find in the local stores that is synthetic, is Royal Purple. I thought Valvoline use to make this stuff? Anyone use RP or are there better brands out there? In addition, how much fluid does the reservoir hold, so I know how much to buy? Thanks

An easier and more effective method is to simplly siphon out the old fluid with thin, clear tubing. The tubing will get to the bottom of the reservoir and get out most of the fluid. I did this twice over the course of 2 weeks and changed out 75% of the system fluid. Simpler, but slightly less effective than pulling the return hose.

An easier and more effective method is to simplly siphon out the old fluid with thin, clear tubing. The tubing will get to the bottom of the reservoir and get out most of the fluid. I did this twice over the course of 2 weeks and changed out 75% of the system fluid. Simpler, but slightly less effective than pulling the return hose.

And why create a leak if you don't need to?? What mileage are you guys switching over at??

Pulling the return line shouldn't cause a leak. It's very low pressure. The method you guys are using with watching for the fluid to change color is exactly how I do my transmission service. Drop pan, change filter. Depending on the tranny, put about 8 quarts in. Unhook a cooler line and start it up. Shut off after you have pumped out a gallon. Add another 4 quarts and run till the color changes. Put her back together and check the fluid level.

Mark,

How many bottles did you use all together? Assuming you filled back just the 3/4 of the liter, its 2.

I changed my 2008 GMC and the 2009 CTS to AMSOIL PS fluid a month back. The truck needed 2 - 12 oz bottles to do the job, I think I used about 4 oz from 2nd bottle which left enough to do the CTS (CTS has small electric PS pump, not belt driven). I used a suction pump that AMSOIL sells. They are also available at every auto parts store and many hardware stores.

Now my truck is all synthetic, no mineral lubes at all.

PS - I measured what I removed and replaced that amount, drove it around the block and checked it.

Archived