2003 2500hd Overheating While Towing

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I have a 2003 2500HD 6.0 auto trans 2wd. Normal driving the temp stays around 210. I have a 27 ft travel trailer. When towing this the temp climbs up to 230 240. as soon as I pull over, it will cool off fairly quick. I tried to flush the radiator out, it seemed to help a little, but still gets hot. I would go buy a new radiator if I knew it was the problem.

#2 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,500 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 04:20 PM

I would look for trash between the radiator and condenser and check out the clutch fan.

#3 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,783 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

Have you towed this load before with this truck? And you had no problems? As stated, check fan clutch. If it's the original clutch, I'd replace it. They get weak with age. Do you have a large enough tranny cooler for the load you're hauling? You can always take the radiator to a rad. shop and have them go through it and clean it out if necessary. You can also get a larger radiator with more rows of tubes.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#4 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the advice. I had already cleaned the radiator and condensor. I also had the radiator flushed. I went ahead and put a new clutch fan on it. I took it out today and had the same problem, but I think it is a little better than before. Gets up to 230 going up any type of grade on the highway, but then cools down to 210 - 215. I have never used this truck to tow my camper with. This is a 2500 HD 6.0. It has Tranny cooler, oil cooler and power steering cooler. I assumed it was made for towing. I used a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 ltr. to pull this camper before. It never got over 210. I took it to Virginia through the Mountains. I don't care to purchase a new radiator, but I can't believe a truck 6 years old has a bad radiator.

#5 redvett

redvett

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,500 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

Since you have cleaned rad in and out condenser and now clutch fan i would say pump.

Thanks for the advice. I had already cleaned the radiator and condensor. I also had the radiator flushed. I went ahead and put a new clutch fan on it. I took it out today and had the same problem, but I think it is a little better than before. Gets up to 230 going up any type of grade on the highway, but then cools down to 210 - 215. I have never used this truck to tow my camper with. This is a 2500 HD 6.0. It has Tranny cooler, oil cooler and power steering cooler. I assumed it was made for towing. I used a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 ltr. to pull this camper before. It never got over 210. I took it to Virginia through the Mountains. I don't care to purchase a new radiator, but I can't believe a truck 6 years old has a bad radiator.

#6 Draenor

Draenor

I'm offsetting your carbon credits!!!!!

• 3,605 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:57 PM

Since you have cleaned rad in and out condenser and now clutch fan i would say pump.

+1

The fins can corrode to a point they are not circulating the fluid efficiently.

I see its 6yo, but how many miles?

2004 GMC 2500 Sierra Metallic Gray CC/SWB

#7 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

It has 130,00 miles. What would be the best way to tell if it has flow. If I let it run without the cap, could I see fluid moving in the reservoir.

#8 Markd

Markd

• Senior Moderator
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

How much does the trailer weigh?

What was the outside temp when you pulled? 95+?

Have you considered an aftermarket trans cooler? Your trans will stay cooler, and your engine coolant wont be heated by the trans fluid in the factory cooler.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"

Footnote

2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC Z71 SLT D-Max Stealth Grey Metallic

EX-03 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB Z71 SLT Pewter

R.I.P. 2002 GMC Sierra K1500 ECSB Z71 SLT White

Ex-1999 GMC Sierra 1500 3dr Z71 SL Gray

Posted Image

#9 bill190

bill190

Enthusiast

• 728 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:21 AM

Basically I do everything you have done, then if that does not work, I spring for a new radiator. I get a larger radiator if I can.

Before doing that, you might want to confirm that your temperature gauge is reading correctly. Usually when these have gone bad on my vehicles (temperature sender older vehicles/ temperature sensor newer vehicles), the temperature reads too low. I suppose it could read too high? Anyway might want to get a thermometer and place it on the engine.

#10 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:42 PM

I am going to take the radiator to a local shop to have checked out. I know I can get a bigger radiator, but this radiator is the same that they use in 1 ton duallies. I would think that if my 1/2 ton pick up could pull this camper without getting hot, a 3/4 ton truck desigened to tow should be able to tow without overheating. Am I crazy for assuming this.

#11 2COR517

2COR517

Enthusiast

• 376 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

210 sounds high for normal usage. My 97 stays at 180 (according to the non linear gauge. Brilliant) or so and never moves.
Sharing my experience & opinions. Some I learned the hard way, some I learned from those I trust very much.

#12 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:44 PM

I agree with you. I would think that it should stay around 185.

#13 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

I got radiator back from radiator shop. They found nothing wrong with this radiator. I asked about a new one with more cores, and they told me this radiator is more than enough to keep this truck cool. They think the problem is somewhere else. They don't think a bigger core radiator will fix the problem. Theyt also said that the size of the radiator and the way it is designed that I don't need and external transmission cooler or oil cooler. I guess I can remove the waterpump and look at the fins. Does anyone know of a check ho to see if the waterpump is producing enough flow?

#14 skippy7024

skippy7024

Enthusiast

• 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:53 PM

I replaced the thermostat and now it seems to stay just under 210 all the time. Thanks for all the help. I hope this helps somebody else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users