2003 2500hd Overheating While Towing

skippy7024

Question

I have a 2003 2500HD 6.0 auto trans 2wd. Normal driving the temp stays around 210. I have a 27 ft travel trailer. When towing this the temp climbs up to 230 240. as soon as I pull over, it will cool off fairly quick. I tried to flush the radiator out, it seemed to help a little, but still gets hot. I would go buy a new radiator if I knew it was the problem.

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Have you towed this load before with this truck? And you had no problems? As stated, check fan clutch. If it's the original clutch, I'd replace it. They get weak with age. Do you have a large enough tranny cooler for the load you're hauling? You can always take the radiator to a rad. shop and have them go through it and clean it out if necessary. You can also get a larger radiator with more rows of tubes.

Thanks for the advice. I had already cleaned the radiator and condensor. I also had the radiator flushed. I went ahead and put a new clutch fan on it. I took it out today and had the same problem, but I think it is a little better than before. Gets up to 230 going up any type of grade on the highway, but then cools down to 210 - 215. I have never used this truck to tow my camper with. This is a 2500 HD 6.0. It has Tranny cooler, oil cooler and power steering cooler. I assumed it was made for towing. I used a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 ltr. to pull this camper before. It never got over 210. I took it to Virginia through the Mountains. I don't care to purchase a new radiator, but I can't believe a truck 6 years old has a bad radiator.

Since you have cleaned rad in and out condenser and now clutch fan i would say pump.

Thanks for the advice. I had already cleaned the radiator and condensor. I also had the radiator flushed. I went ahead and put a new clutch fan on it. I took it out today and had the same problem, but I think it is a little better than before. Gets up to 230 going up any type of grade on the highway, but then cools down to 210 - 215. I have never used this truck to tow my camper with. This is a 2500 HD 6.0. It has Tranny cooler, oil cooler and power steering cooler. I assumed it was made for towing. I used a Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3 ltr. to pull this camper before. It never got over 210. I took it to Virginia through the Mountains. I don't care to purchase a new radiator, but I can't believe a truck 6 years old has a bad radiator.

Since you have cleaned rad in and out condenser and now clutch fan i would say pump.

+1

The fins can corrode to a point they are not circulating the fluid efficiently.

I see its 6yo, but how many miles?

How much does the trailer weigh?

What was the outside temp when you pulled? 95+?

Have you considered an aftermarket trans cooler? Your trans will stay cooler, and your engine coolant wont be heated by the trans fluid in the factory cooler.

Basically I do everything you have done, then if that does not work, I spring for a new radiator. I get a larger radiator if I can.

Before doing that, you might want to confirm that your temperature gauge is reading correctly. Usually when these have gone bad on my vehicles (temperature sender older vehicles/ temperature sensor newer vehicles), the temperature reads too low. I suppose it could read too high? Anyway might want to get a thermometer and place it on the engine.

I am going to take the radiator to a local shop to have checked out. I know I can get a bigger radiator, but this radiator is the same that they use in 1 ton duallies. I would think that if my 1/2 ton pick up could pull this camper without getting hot, a 3/4 ton truck desigened to tow should be able to tow without overheating. Am I crazy for assuming this.

I got radiator back from radiator shop. They found nothing wrong with this radiator. I asked about a new one with more cores, and they told me this radiator is more than enough to keep this truck cool. They think the problem is somewhere else. They don't think a bigger core radiator will fix the problem. Theyt also said that the size of the radiator and the way it is designed that I don't need and external transmission cooler or oil cooler. I guess I can remove the waterpump and look at the fins. Does anyone know of a check ho to see if the waterpump is producing enough flow?

I know this is an old thread but I am have the same issue. I drive an 03 1500HD 4x4 with 4.10 gears that has 230K miles on it. Truck does great when not towing even if I keep the pedal to the floor, but as soon as I hook a trailer even with a light load, like 1,000 pounds, it starts to run hot. It runs 220 - 230 down the interstate at 60 - 70 mph turning 2k rpm and about pegs the gauge when I climb and incline.

I replace the water pump about 60 - 80 thousand miles ago, the radiator, thermostat, and all the coolant just less than a month ago. The radiator is an Acdelco GM replacement. I put a 186 degree thermostat in it I believe.

I know it is a very hot summer here in Louisiana with temperatures reaching 100 degrees but why does is this only an issue when I hookup to a trailer?

Any help is greatly appreciated being that I've tried everything I can think of am I am still left scratching my head.

Clint