New Silverado Feels Like Front End Binding In 4x4

I'm taking my new truck in tomorrow for some issues, so I decided to test out the four wheel drive and found that it pushes really bad in 4x4 when turning, and groans really bad from the front end. It feels like when you start to turn that the wheels turn damn near 90 degrees (I know it is not), and the truck stops rolling. I mean if I have it in neutral rolling backwards, it will stop the truck.

Also, lets say you're backing up on a rock surface. If you turn the wheels, it just stops and tries to "push" the rear end strait backwards until you really get on the throttle. It will then pull it around.

I've driven several OLD 4x4s many, many times, but it has probably over15 years. I know what 4x4s used to feel like to drive, and this one really feels like the front end binds up really bad.

Sound normal or not? I can try to make a video of what it is doing if that will help.

Thanks!

its normal, especially on hard surfaces

Thanks.

FWIW, though, it is not a hard surface. It is doing this on a rock driveway...which is what has me worried. If it was snow, it seems like I wouldn't be able to go any direction but straight ahead.

Thanks guys. My daughter and I were checking it out, and I tried to flip a Uie at a nearby four way stop. It was pushing me through the intersection (squaling the tires), and I had to back up. Of course, here comes a county cop looking at me like WTF are you doing? lol

thats why u dont try to flip a U in 4wd...lol, why would u do that?

Because I wanted to go home. Is this a trick question? :D

If I was in the GTO, he'd have pulled me over.

That's not a trick question. Do not drive in 4 wheel drive on a hard surface. It will cause severe drive train damage. Read the owner's manual. DO NOT DRIVE WITH 4WD ENGAGED- on hard surfaces- unless you want to spend a lot of money on your drive train.

My 07 Silverado did this in the snow as well. I had to push on the throttle quite a bit to get it moving and then if I let go, it would stop right away. Our '03 Expedition never did that in 4Hi. :D

That's not a trick question. Do not drive in 4 wheel drive on a hard surface. It will cause severe drive train damage. Read the owner's manual. DO NOT DRIVE WITH 4WD ENGAGED- on hard surfaces- unless you want to spend a lot of money on your drive train.

I did read it, and it said do not do it for an extended period of time. From my driveway to said 4 way is about 1/4 mile, and didn't consdier that an extended period.

I guess things are just different since the last time I've driven a 4x4.

I did read it, and it said do not do it for an extended period of time. From my driveway to said 4 way is about 1/4 mile, and didn't consdier that an extended period.

Serious question....Do you understand WHY your front wheels bind while turning on dry pavement in 4wd? Do you understand WHY it's extremely hard on your drivetrain?

Serious question....Do you understand WHY your front wheels bind while turning on dry pavement in 4wd? Do you understand WHY it's extremely hard on your drivetrain?

Cheap Chinese parts?

Archived