Tranny Noises

hey i drive a 2006 gmc 1500hd got the 6 ltre and a 4l8e. 1st gear makes an odd humming nose, as the rpms's pick up it gets louder. when you are just sitting with the brake on it has a high pitch wistle too it i dont no what it is? torque convertor? its only in first gear keep in mind. tranny fluid is good...its not runnin hot, not clunkin or bangin into gear...somebody help i want this too stop

Does this truck fall into the group that has the transfer case hole. Oil pump wears throught the side of transfer case than oil drips out eventuallt blowing the tranfer case right out of the truck?

no its not the t-case its the tranny...well i think its the torque convertor but im still not sure...deff not the transfer case tho bud

My suggestion would be to drop by a reputable transmission shop and let them listen to it

There is a bulletin that says the 4L80E is whinny in first and it's normal. Mine is. The whistling can be the hydroboost unit for the brakes. I get it too once in awhile but I haven't nailed it down. The brakes work fine.

Any chance this stuff is noisier under load like when towing or hauling?

My suggestion would be to drop by a reputable transmission shop and let them listen to it

There is a bulletin that says the 4L80E is whinny in first and it's normal. Mine is. The whistling can be the hydroboost unit for the brakes. I get it too once in awhile but I haven't nailed it down. The brakes work fine.

ive been told this before...i just wanna know why it does it? there has too be a reason...some do it and some dont...it hasnt seem too hurt anything so far...i got a bully dog programmer hooked up on performance settings and it shifts really hard and nothing has happened...it did it before it met the chip so i dont know...my buddy says its the torque convertor and you can buy an additive to make it stop but i just wanna know if someone else has had this also and got it figured out. and yes it is a little louder but not by much...i pulled a ten thousand pound trailer with it no problem didnt even really get that hot HAHAHAAH

I had a whistle coming from tranny on my HD,the dealer found it was the valve body in the tranny so they replaced it and noise was gone

hmm..well since it still has warranty i will bring it too the dealer and tell them too fix the thing its really annoying and embarrassing...or just run it till its really screwed and get a whole new one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

ive been told this before...i just wanna know why it does it? there has too be a reason...some do it and some dont...it hasnt seem too hurt anything so far...i got a bully dog programmer hooked up on performance settings and it shifts really hard and nothing has happened...it did it before it met the chip so i dont know...my buddy says its the torque convertor and you can buy an additive to make it stop but i just wanna know if someone else has had this also and got it figured out. and yes it is a little louder but not by much...i pulled a ten thousand pound trailer with it no problem didnt even really get that hot HAHAHAAH

I will try to find the TSB but I recall it being because of the gear cut. Mine does it. At the same time, part of the whine I was getting was the power steering overheating so I swapped to a plate and fin aux cooler for it and it's gone.

Found it:

4L80E , 4L85E Whine Noise in First and Second Gear - kw accelerate case clash filter first fluid gear noise oil second whine #PI00976A - (Nov 13, 2003)

4L80E, 4L85E Whine Noise in First and Second Gear

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

The 4L80E/4L85E automatic transmission may experience a condition of planetary gear whine noise in first and second gear. The planetary gear noise is typically louder in first gear as compared to second.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This planetary gear whine noise should be considered characteristic of the 4L80E/4L85E. The vehicle should be compared to a like unit for comparison before attempting any repairs.

I will try to find the TSB but I recall it being because of the gear cut. Mine does it. At the same time, part of the whine I was getting was the power steering overheating so I swapped to a plate and fin aux cooler for it and it's gone.

Found it:

4L80E , 4L85E Whine Noise in First and Second Gear - kw accelerate case clash filter first fluid gear noise oil second whine #PI00976A - (Nov 13, 2003)

4L80E, 4L85E Whine Noise in First and Second Gear

When servicing the vehicle with the VIN you entered, the following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the described symptoms.

Condition/Concern:

The 4L80E/4L85E automatic transmission may experience a condition of planetary gear whine noise in first and second gear. The planetary gear noise is typically louder in first gear as compared to second.

Recommendation/Instructions:

This planetary gear whine noise should be considered characteristic of the 4L80E/4L85E. The vehicle should be compared to a like unit for comparison before attempting any repairs.

hmm thanx for your imput man, tahts deff what it sounds like too me...it sounds like a pump whining when im at a stop with the brake on....it sounds like a dog whistle...its deffinatly the tranny, dont do it in park or 2nd gear. when i get goin it gets different, it sounds like a straight cut gear but got a different noise too it...gets louder and louder then shifts into 2nd...gone. its done this for along time doesnt seem to be getting any worse...im just gonna bring it in see what the dealer says

Archived