Where To Find Power, 09 Silverado?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 copotay

copotay

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hello everyone, this is my first post, glad to be here.

I just purchased a 2009 Silverado Crew Cab after having a 1992 Silverado for many years. Talk about a different animal, whew.

I had a small Streamlight flashlight with 12v charging cradle installed in my old Silverado and am trying to figure out where to tap into some power. It was pretty easy on the old truck at the fuse box, but I have no idea where to look for an ignition controlled power accessory type connection. I was trying to keep from using one of the two cigarette lighter plugs because of them being on the front of the dash and did not want a wire hanging off of the dash all the time. I found the fuse box in the cab next to the door but it did not look like it has an accessory post. Any help greatly appreciated.

tks

Posted Image

#2 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Yeah, and the cigarette lighters don't shut off with the ignition, so don't tap them for sure.
2006 Pontiac GTO - "Charlotte" - 6 Speed - Phantom Black - 6.0L - L92 Heads / FTI StreetSweeper-HT Cam / Bolt-ons / Self-tuned with HP Tuners Pro / 438rwhp - 405rwtq
2009 Chevy Silverado - "Bertha" - 1500 LT ECLB 4x4 - 5.3L - Flex Fool/Active Fuel Manglement - 3.73s - Bone Stock (as far as you know)
Posted Image

#3 pchrist

pchrist

Enthusiast

• 459 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:31 AM

What about under the center armrest?
Mods so far:

Front windows tinted
Interior LED's
Back up LED's
Hid Head lights
Lund Genesis Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover
Rear blocks removed
Antenna delete
Hooker Aero chamber muffler
Fog light mod Switched back to factory lights because they started to warp the lens FYI

Painted to match items: Mudflaps, Bowtie , Door handles, Mirrors , tailgate latch

#4 copotay

copotay

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:22 PM

What about under the center armrest?

There is another cigarette lighter plug in the bottom storage under the armrest but I am also trying to have power only when the ignition is on

#5 Michael Pritt

Michael Pritt

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:22 PM

I had the same problem when I installed my amp. I was looking for a remote with a stock reciever. I had to run a wire to the fuse box under the hood. Find yourself a 12v test light and have some fun.

#6 copotay

copotay

Enthusiast

• 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:54 AM

I had the same problem when I installed my amp. I was looking for a remote with a stock reciever. I had to run a wire to the fuse box under the hood. Find yourself a 12v test light and have some fun.

Tks, thats kinda what I figured, the fuse box against the door are those tiny fuses and there really aint to room to go into there for anything. I would have though that they would have made an ignition controlled accessory post somewhere in the cab under the dash, like they used to have in the old fuse boxes, long ago, where you could just crimp on a specific plug and plug it into the fuse box where it said "acc".

#7 Sinkhole

Sinkhole

Enthusiast

• 326 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

You can tie it in to the ign. harness. The acc. wire is brown (yellow on some models). Just double check with a DMM (Digital Multi-Meter) first and then tap that wire.
Posted Image
'05 Chevy Silverado 4x4 RC/SB, LM7 - 5.3L, G-80, 3.42, Victory Red
'07 TrailBlazer LT 4x4, LL8 - 4.2L, G80, 3.73, Greystone Metallic

Member Of The Red Truck Club

#8 ShoddyHog

ShoddyHog

Enthusiast

• 446 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Tks, thats kinda what I figured, the fuse box against the door are those tiny fuses and there really aint to room to go into there for anything. I would have though that they would have made an ignition controlled accessory post somewhere in the cab under the dash, like they used to have in the old fuse boxes, long ago, where you could just crimp on a specific plug and plug it into the fuse box where it said "acc".

So there's no open spares and no room for a fuse tap? lol That's lame.
2006 Pontiac GTO - "Charlotte" - 6 Speed - Phantom Black - 6.0L - L92 Heads / FTI StreetSweeper-HT Cam / Bolt-ons / Self-tuned with HP Tuners Pro / 438rwhp - 405rwtq
2009 Chevy Silverado - "Bertha" - 1500 LT ECLB 4x4 - 5.3L - Flex Fool/Active Fuel Manglement - 3.73s - Bone Stock (as far as you know)
Posted Image

#9 2009 Sierra

2009 Sierra

Enthusiast

• 32 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

I used a fuse tap in the box under the hood... All the fuses in the cabin fuse panel are hot, not keyed. Use a quality fuse tap with a lead, and you shouldn't have any issues.

#10 mfennema

mfennema

Enthusiast

• 457 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 01:26 PM

There is a junction box (at least there is on the 07-08s) behind the brake pedal with some RAP connections. I tied in there for my satellite radio. Comes on with the key and goes off after I turn the key off and open the door.
Mods:
Line-x bed and wheel wells, Extang Revolution tonneau cover, Bushwacker OE style bedrail caps, 3M rubber coated hitch, Underrail bed lights, removed lower valance, Sirius hardwire install, Peripheral PXAMG for Ipod and Sirius connection, PURDUE plates (camo vanity, and IN license), Front Window Tint, 2" RC Leveling Kit, GMC Grille Emblem painted to match, Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags, Kicker 8" Solo Baric L5 square sub and Kicker 300.1 Amp in custom box within console, Custom Toolboxes

#11 quetranpa

quetranpa

Enthusiast

• 93 posts
  • Drives:'07 CHEVY SILVERADO

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:07 AM

Yes there's an empty plug on the left with some male spades sticking out, just test for power once you have found it insert a female spade on it with your wire and you're done, it works just fine, that is where I plugged my cd changer!!

There is a junction box (at least there is on the 07-08s) behind the brake pedal with some RAP connections. I tied in there for my satellite radio. Comes on with the key and goes off after I turn the key off and open the door.

#12 Diesail

Diesail

Enthusiast

• 496 posts

Posted 20 February 2011 - 08:38 AM

What you are looking for is called RAP - Retained accesory power. Here is how you do it RAP how to

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users