4.8l Vs 5.3l - Noticeable Difference?

I apologize if this is a common topic, I keep returning a server error as I search.

Anyway, been looking at the newer Sierras/Silverados.

Luckily the general body styles are all the same. I could easily make a v8 work special look very nice. Can't really change the engines though.

What would you guys say about the 4.8 vs 5.3? Is it a noticeable difference? ( + 13hp and 30lb-ft torque )

4.8L V-8, 295hp, 305 lb-ft torque

5.3L V-8, 315 hp, 335 lb-ft torque

I also just realized the 4.8l might actually be very comparable if not faster, as it probably weighs significantly less yet still puts out similar specs.

4.8 is NOT faster than a 5.3

4.8 is not a towing motor. not much torque down low. if your looking for mileage, go 4.8. if you need some power (towing, racing, etc) 5.3

4.8=no AFM! Less parts to break. My 2008 4.8 does pretty good with towing: 4:11 gears, corvette servo, 4th sonnax servo, and Edge Evolution. I tow a lifted jeep cherokee 200+ miles at a time. I have driven both the 5.3 and 4.8, but can't really tell a difference. With that being said, I still have not driven a 6sp.

I noticed that most new 2WD trucks equipped with a 4.8 engine also come with a 3.23:1 axle ratio, which is way too high in my opinion. 3.73s would be a much better arrangement on a 2WD and 4.10s on a 4WD with that engine with a 4 speed automatic.

If money is an issue,look at some used trucks with the larger engine and better trim pkgs. You'll be adding pile of stuff to a work truck to get all these dodads and it'll be more expensive and more work in the end.

My experiences between the 4.8 and the 5.3:

4.8 is an engine that loves to rev.

4.8 is the base V8 engine that gets good gas mileage

4.8 is the "no frills" motor

4.8 has a good top end (horsepower)

5.3 is an engine that does not like to rev as much

5.3 is the bored out version of the 4.8 that gets ok gas mileage

5.3 can come with options (flex fuel, AFM)

5.3 has a good low end (power)

as noted above, the 4.8 is a "street" engine with the occasional work load whereas the 5.3 is the workhorse engine.

since I fell into the street category use, I went with the 4.8 and have not looked back.

I apologize if this is a common topic, I keep returning a server error as I search.

Luckily the general body styles are all the same. I could easily make a v8 work special look very nice. Can't really change the engines though.

What would you guys say about the 4.8 vs 5.3? Is it a noticeable difference? ( + 13hp and 30lb-ft torque )

I also just realized the 4.8l might actually be very comparable if not faster, as it probably weighs significantly less yet still puts out similar specs.

Pure and simple. There is no replacement for displacement. It boils down to this. The 4.8 is not a bad motor (in fact its a very good motor), but the only reason to get it over the 5.3 is if you are worried about money.

The 5.3 actually has 20 more hp then the 4.8 (math is off above), the 5.3 is basically the exact same weight as the 4.8, it gets basically the same mileage, and regardless of what people say it will rev just as well as a 4.8. The big difference is you just don't have to rev it as much to get more power. As much as I love the 4.8, the only people that make excuses about being able to rev a 4.8 are 4.8 owners.

What it boils down to, if you can afford a 5.3 get it. If you find the exact truck you want and it has the 4.8, don't let that keep you from buying it. It is a very capable engine. My belief is buy the biggest motor you can afford for a truck. The mileage difference between the 4 current offerings is negligible and your resale will be better.

Pure and simple. There is no replacement for displacement. It boils down to this. The 4.8 is not a bad motor (in fact its a very good motor), but the only reason to get it over the 5.3 is if you are worried about money.

The 5.3 actually has 20 more hp then the 4.8 (math is off above), the 5.3 is basically the exact same weight as the 4.8, it gets basically the same mileage, and regardless of what people say it will rev just as well as a 4.8. The big difference is you just don't have to rev it as much to get more power. As much as I love the 4.8, the only people that make excuses about being able to rev a 4.8 are 4.8 owners.

What it boils down to, if you can afford a 5.3 get it. If you find the exact truck you want and it has the 4.8, don't let that keep you from buying it. It is a very capable engine. My belief is buy the biggest motor you can afford for a truck. The mileage difference between the 4 current offerings is negligible and your resale will be better.

:lol::fume:

:confused:

I have driven them both and they feel about the same. IMO! They are both good engines. I have the 5.3 my self and my buddy has the 4.8. Though there is not much difference mine is a little quicker. Drives him nuts! :confused: Also keep in mind there are so many mods you can do to get plenty of power out of the 4.8 as is with the 5.3. So I would have to say either would do for me. It just so happened that the truck I got had the 5.3 in it!

I have driven them both and they feel about the same. IMO! They are both good engines. I have the 5.3 my self and my buddy has the 4.8. Though there is not much difference mine is a little quicker. Drives him nuts! :confused: Also keep in mind there are so many mods you can do to get plenty of power out of the 4.8 as is with the 5.3. So I would have to say either would do for me. It just so happened that the truck I got had the 5.3 in it!

Man I put about 3 grand into a 4.8 and I could beat a vortec max. With the 5 speed manual with a shitty clutch. Before I did anything with it it had 50 000 kms on it. It was a short box reg cab step side. 4.8 manual 4 wheel drive I could SPANK brand new half tons with tje5.3. In my opinion their is no difference

I guess my only question on putting $3,000 into a 4.8 is...why? You can build an LS1 for that with much more potential. It will be lighter, rev better, have a larger bore to allow larger valves and better unshrouding and have much better aftermarket support. I have WAY over that in my LS1 (hell, I past that with just rear end and clutch)...but that is also in a 98 TA. Wanna play?

For a truck, I want a truck. I want it to be able to pull a load and haul shit comfortably. I got the 5.3 because it needs to pull heavier loads and I liked the truck. I guess I am weird, because I even like the AFM. While I do wish I had the 6 speed, the 4 speed with 3.73 rear does quite well so far.

If you like a truck with a 4.8, don't let that stop you. It isn't going to be the fastest vehicle out there, but just consider exactly what you are buying a truck for.

Galen

Archived