Driveshaft Carrier Bearing

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 Chevy 2500HD with the 8.1L and Allison Tranny.

The driveshaft move back towards the rear about 4 inches and I noticed that the rubber in the carrier bearing is all chewed up, hence the driveshaft shifted back about 4 inches.

I just need installation advice.

Do I need any special tools to remove the carrier bearing?

It just looks like I would only need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the driveshaft to the rear differential case and I would be able to slide the driveshaft off. Then I would install the carrier bearing/mount and then just slide the drive shaft back into the carrier bearing. Am I correct or is there more work involved?

Thanks in Advance!

Hi guys,

The driveshaft move back towards the rear about 4 inches and I noticed that the rubber in the carrier bearing is all chewed up, hence the driveshaft shifted back about 4 inches.

It just looks like I would only need to remove the 4 bolts that hold the driveshaft to the rear differential case and I would be able to slide the driveshaft off. Then I would install the carrier bearing/mount and then just slide the drive shaft back into the carrier bearing. Am I correct or is there more work involved?

Thanks in Advance!

i hqavent pulled one off one that new but all the one i have pulled off the older one's yhave been pressed on the stub shaft .i belive you will have to have it removed ,and the new one pressed on if you dont have a press and bearing splitter clamp's .

Hi guys,

Thanks in Advance!

i hqavent pulled one off one that new but all the one i have pulled off the older one's yhave been pressed on the stub shaft .i belive you will have to have it removed ,and the new one pressed on if you dont have a press and bearing splitter clamp's .

Yep, they are pressed on and will need to be pressed off. If you don't have the equip to do it, go by a driveline shop and they will be happy to help you out.

• 3 years later...

Can I revive this thread?

I have the same issue (and the same truck, crew cab/long bed). Not to sound dummy-like, but how do you get the drive shaft(s) off? While underneath sizing up the project, it appeared that if the u-joint to the front of the carrier bearing was removed, the carrier can be unbolted and the rear shaft should slide forward and out of the rear diff. Am I on the right track?

no

raise truck,,,

remove rear drive shaft at rear diff,,,,

cut band on slip yoke boot,(mark boot and shaft for reinstallation,)

slide rear shaft from front shaft

remove 2 nuts that hold up hanger bearing,15mm deep socket with air ratchet

remove front shaft/hanger brg assembly,

have a shop remove and install new hanger bearing,

reinstall everything

or

just take it in and pay an hour(approx) labour and not do this on your back ...

Thanks for the post.

I sincerely appreciate the info. I wasn't sure of the correct place(s) to disassemble things. I saw what I thought was the right way, but figured I would find some good help here.

I get the "take it to a shop" thing, but I just really prefer to do as much of my own work as possible.

Cheers!

Unless you have a press, you're going to be taking it to someone anyway

ty darrel,

this is my point Don,that bearing race is a pain to get off without a press,i doubt you can do it ,,,,

but have fun anyways ,,,some things are easier to farm out ,,,your time is worth something IMHO

All good points. Thanks again!

I'm gonna try and attack it this weekend :smash:

I'll post my results (if I think they will be interesting or helpful).

I would guess that many have this same issue.

O.K. so here's what I found.

First; the way to remove the drive shaft, is to drop the carrier bearing. The two piece shaft has a slip joint at that point. Mark both the front and rear sections so they will re-connect in the same position, cut the band on the dust boot, unbolt the carrier bearing and drop the shafts low enough to allow them to come apart there. Then you can slide the front shaft out (put reference marks on the front shaft and the tranny to maintain the balance). U-joint at the rear diff stays intact.

Govtech4, you are 100% correct that the bearing is not coming off at the hands of any normal human. So it's off to a shop.

I actually had a great experience taking the front shaft (with bearing on it) to a local Chevy dealer :freak: . Great guy in service dept. took the shaft, ordered the OE bearing, had the tech pull the old and press on the new. 189.00 for the part and 40 bucks cash to the tech :thumbs: Done!

Re-install is super-easy (as long as reference marks were made prior). Slide front shaft into tranny, line up slip joint, insert, push up and bolt carrier bearing in place. Get a new clamp on that boot, and you're good!

I hope this info helps someone with the same issue. I certainly can't be the only one!

Cheers!!

Shame you don't live next door.

We could be in my garage, we could be drinking, and.......

we could work on this list of stuff to replace hahaha

Really, though, I appreciate the help and advice

ty darrel :lol:

Archived